Replace My Carbon Copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replace My Carbon Copy

The Carbon Copy is a fairly unique sounding analog delay, it has a resonant mid-range that puts it in a completely different category of tone than the Memory Man or Vapor Trail (which tend to be much smoother). To my ears I think it makes the CC closer in tone to a very dark tape delay as opposed to the more conventional smooth analog sound found in most analog delays.

If you want something to replace it while keeping a similarly unique feel check out either the Way Huge Aqua/Supa Puss or the Boss DM-2w. I'd personally suggest the DM-2 as it has the same beautiful midrange as the Carbon Copy but with a slightly cleaner input sound and repeats.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

I'd go with the Vapor Trail for the mod controls on the outside of the box, and the way cool Insert Jack, that lets you send the delay to a bunch of other effects. You can really create some wild sounds.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
        The Carbon Copy is a fairly unique sounding analog delay, it has a resonant mid-range that puts it in a completely different category of tone than the Memory Man or Vapor Trail (which tend to be much smoother). To my ears I think it makes the CC closer in tone to a very dark tape delay as opposed to the more conventional smooth analog sound found in most analog delays.

If you want something to replace it while keeping a similarly unique feel check out either the Way Huge Aqua/Supa Puss or the Boss DM-2w. I'd personally suggest the DM-2 as it has the same beautiful midrange as the Carbon Copy but with a slightly cleaner input sound and repeats.
        I really want to try this pedal, actually I think I'm just gonna buy it.

Comment

i really like the boss dm2w.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The Wampler Faux Tape Echo is pretty amazing and you can get them used for around $100. I thought it was flipping awesome but unfortunately it was a little too good at behaving like a Tape Echo for my tastes.

Personally, I like my repeats to sound analog while I'm playing clean, then take on a more digital sound while under gain. I ended up going back to my Keeyley Recino because out of the dozens & dozens of digital & analog delay's I've owned it does this best.

The Wampler was fantastic until I threw a ton of dirt at it, then the "analog flaws" kinda sounded like the signal was falling apart? It's probably worth mentioning that the kind of gain I'm talking about isn't typical, even for guys that use oodles of gain all the time. When I just had a Tube Screamer or some other light-moderate Over Drive pushing my amp the Faux Tape sounded great!!!
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
              Personally, I like my repeats to sound analog while I'm playing clean, then take on a more digital sound while under gain.
              Have you tried the Deja Vu ? Sounds perfect for this.

Re. tape delay, I really liked the Tech 21 boost DLA. Have you compared it with the wampler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                Have you tried the Deja Vu ? Sounds perfect for this.

Re. tape delay, I really liked the Tech 21 boost DLA. Have you compared it with the wampler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Yeah, actually I ran a Déjà Vu as my main Delay for years! It was pretty near perfect for my needs & I loved how flipping quite they are!!! The Recino just does the job a little bit better, has a smaller profile, & is a bit more user friendly. Not that the Déjà Vu was super complicated or anything? It's just that the Keeley only has 3 knobs & is super responsive! I have a habit of moving the controls around with my toes so it's a better fit, otherwise I'd probably still be running the Duncan?

I have tried the Tech 21 Boost DLA, definitely a flipping fantastic Analog voiced Digital Delay as well & another one that almost made the cut. To be honest the two pedals are almost identical but I liked the Wampler a little more. Mostly because the Faux Echo's Modulation is a bit more useful in real world situations, it was quieter as I recall, & again, it's just a little bit more controllable... I think I might have liked the Tech 21 a tad better under gain but its hard to say for sure because I didn't A/B the two?

Of course all this is subjective!!! Some guys might say the Tech 21 is a better Delay unit for exactly the same reasons I said the Wampler is better? The two pedals give you a kinda "six in one hand, half a dozen in the other" situation because they are so much alike!!!

I can probably say one thing with a fair amount of certainty, the Faux Echo is probably built a little better? Mostly because Brian Wampler builds his pedals to survive nuclear holocausts & uses the best components available to him. Tech 21 also makes very good stuff but I don't know that they have the same parts & Q.C. standards?
                I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                  The Wampler Faux Tape Echo is pretty amazing and you can get them used for around $100. I thought it was flipping awesome but unfortunately it was a little too good at behaving like a Tape Echo for my tastes.

Personally, I like my repeats to sound analog while I'm playing clean, then take on a more digital sound while under gain. I ended up going back to my Keeyley Recino because out of the dozens & dozens of digital & analog delay's I've owned it does this best.

The Wampler was fantastic until I threw a ton of dirt at it, then the "analog flaws" kinda sounded like the signal was falling apart? It's probably worth mentioning that the kind of gain I'm talking about isn't typical, even for guys that use oodles of gain all the time. When I just had a Tube Screamer or some other light-moderate Over Drive pushing my amp the Faux Tape sounded great!!!
                  Thanks for the feedback, and extra special thanks for only ending one declarative sentence with a question mark in this post.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Thanks for the feedback, and extra special thanks for only ending one declarative sentence with a question mark in this post.
                    Well that's Awesome?
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

JHS Panther Cubn
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I got a Lovepedal Echophonic for my rehearsal board last year and I like it. Nice vintagey sound to it- reminds me of the days when I used Echoplexes. Makes the Lexicon in my rack feel a little clinical.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

neunaber echelon or cusack tme are good choices
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                          Originally posted by Gear Used
                          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
                          X