Looking for a new fuzz face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new fuzz face

I'm looking for a new fuzz face for my board. It is the effect I use the most, and is pretty much always on. I use fuzz faces for my clean tone, so I need one that cleans up really nicely. I basically just want a replica of the original Dallas arbiter germanium fuzz faces. What pedal do you think I should go with?

(Edit) I'm looking for something like the NKT analogman sunface but not as insanely expensive. I don't really have a set budget. Just not interested in spending $500 like some of the other fuzz face clones cost.
    Last edited by cjhastings; 01-08-2017, 02:53 AM.

Re: Looking for a new fuzz face

I think the Analogman is probably the best bet for you, I don't know where you get that kind of price though because they go for $185 American + a bit more if you want special transistors or options. It's pretty much he best you can get in terms of a Fuzz Face clone.

The second best that I have tried (bearing in mind that I have played only about 4 Fuzz Face circuits ever) is probably the SolidGoldFX If 6 Was 9. It's just a tasty, smooth fuzz with good cleanup and an external bias control. Runs just a bit less at around $175, but might be a bit more accessible depending on where you live.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
      I think the Analogman is probably the best bet for you, I don't know where you get that kind of price though because they go for $185 American + a bit more if you want special transistors or options. It's pretty much he best you can get in terms of a Fuzz Face clone.

The second best that I have tried (bearing in mind that I have played only about 4 Fuzz Face circuits ever) is probably the SolidGoldFX If 6 Was 9. It's just a tasty, smooth fuzz with good cleanup and an external bias control. Runs just a bit less at around $175, but might be a bit more accessible depending on where you live.
      Which specific sunface can you recommend for great cleans? The NKT ones are no longer in production and so they can go for $700 plus unfortunately.
      Last edited by cjhastings; 01-08-2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I just recently acquired an Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher. They aren't cheap, but it's easily the best fuzz I've ever heard. Can go from dirty/fizzy, to creamy smooth with the twist of a knob. You can sometimes find them used for a bill or less.

Comment

Email Analog Mike Pierra, and describe what you are looking for (guitar and amp used, gain level and ability to clean up). He's always quick to reply and will set you straight. I have two NKT-275 Sun Faces. (one stand alone, one as part of a Sun Lion) They are great, but I doubt they are 3x's better (with current markup) than the other NOS germanium transistors he has, considering he was only selling the NKT-275s for a small markup over the other choices.

It's more about choosing the overall gain level for your needs, then matching the two transistors. He'll build you a great fuzz.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

+1 for Earthquaker Devices - I use, and love, the Tone Reaper fuzz (though it's a Tone Bender circuit not Fuzz Face). Great pedals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cjhastings View Post
              I'm looking for something like the NKT analogman sunface but not as insanely expensive.
              Just do it, you won't regret it.
              Or, email analogman and tell him the same thing. He might have a cheaper option that is still tuned perfectly.
              What you pay for with Analogman is not just the trannies, but the fact that each fuzz is hand built and biased to perfection.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Reach out to Scott at BMF effects and tell him what you need and let him handle the rest!

I currently have 7 different Fuzz Faces including both red and white dot NKT275's but the Fuzz Face on my board is my BMF Fuzz Face which does NOT have NKT's and cleans up very, very nicely. I can take it to gigs and leave it on all night and just use the guitars volume to go from clean to gritty to crunchy to distorted to fuzzed out and right back to clean.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  +1 for Earthquaker Devices - I use, and love, the Tone Reaper fuzz (though it's a Tone Bender circuit not Fuzz Face). Great pedals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X