Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Delay/Echo

Hey,
    I'm looking for a new delay pedal and I'm in need of some suggestions. I want a delay that is extremely versatile and can do almost everything. I really want a pedal that can do David Gilmour dark side of the moon style delay, but also subtle repeats just to warm up my clean tone. I don't really need all those ambient noises, just the classic type of delay tones. I've been looking at the el capistan, but it is sadly not in my price range. Other pedals I've been considering are the line 6 dl4, way huge aqua puss, and ehx memory man, although I've heard that it has some issues with volume drop.
    What can you guys recommend from your experience?

Thanks,
    -CJ

Edit: I'm using a strat through a blues Jr.
    I mostly play blues, but I still want a delay versatile enough to cover other genres.
    Last edited by cjhastings; 01-14-2017, 02:20 PM.

Re: New Delay/Echo

Do you need tap tempo?

DL4 is a great choice and available used for a good price, as it's it's smaller brother the Echo Park. The Boss DD-7 and DD-20 let dial in that darker magnetic style repeat as well. Finally, if you don't need tap tempo (for Gilmour Dark Side tones all you need is ~350ms) the Carbon Copy is a great option.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Do you need tap tempo?

DL4 is a great choice and available used for a good price, as it's it's smaller brother the Echo Park. The Boss DD-7 and DD-20 let dial in that darker magnetic style repeat as well. Finally, if you don't need tap tempo (for Gilmour Dark Side tones all you need is ~350ms) the Carbon Copy is a great option.
      I'd prefer to have tap tempo, but it's not a deal breaker if there is an amazing delay without it. Thanks for your suggestions!

Comment

grab a second hand deja vu
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

tc electronics Flashback series might be what your looking for. They are about as versatile as it gets with Toneprints and the editor.
          I prefer the Boss series delays as they are about as good if not as it gets. The DD-7 is amazing. But you might want to check out the DD-500 as it's about as good as it gets. People compare that to the Strymen and think it's actually better for less money. I would absolutely test drive it as I'm gonna try one myself.

Comment

The DD-500 should be very high on your audition list.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

the dd-500 is the same price as the el capistan. a deja vu is a good choice if you want tap tempo, the carbon copy is fine if you dont. the aqua puss sounds really good but doesnt have much delay time. the dd7 is versatile and sounds good like most boss delays

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                grab a second hand deja vu
                Deja vu seems great. Does it have a looper? Don't need it, just curious...

Comment

New Delay/Echo

I second deja vu and echo park. A newer Boss DD might also do the trick.

Not sure about CC or any other analog only pedal if you need something versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Digitech Obscura is worth a look, I think.

Comment

Source Audio Nemesis isn't cheap but it could be the last delay you ever buy. 24 different delay types. Deep dive software if you're into it.

I sold mine after I bough real tape delays.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I have a bunch of delays sitting around...DD-3s, DD-20, BBE Two Timer, Rocktron Short-Timer (which I love), DanElectro FAB Echo and an Echo Park...but the one that currently lives on my board is a Carbon Copy. Unfortunately my Echo Park has some clock noise coming thru, but it has amazingly versatility in such a small package. It weighs a TON!

I want to add a second delay to my board, but that means tearing things up a bit. Probably add a DD-3 for something different, or the DD-20 (if I can make it fit) or the Echo Park (if I can get rid of the clock noise). The BBE is very close to the MXR. The Rocktron is just too BIG.

I am always amazed by the number of pro players who eschew spendy boutique delays for the ubiquitous DD-3.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          Echo Park (if I can get rid of the clock noise).

I am always amazed by the number of pro players who eschew spendy boutique delays for the ubiquitous DD-3.

Bill
                          The echo park is quiet for me when it's on its own isolated supply.

The DD-3 is a classic digital sound, like the Phase 90 and Tube Screamer, when that's the sound you need it does it perfectly.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post

The DD-3 is obviously a classic and amazing pedal. It just sounds a little too clear and digital to me. No doubt it's a great pedal for people who want that, but I'm looking for a little more analog sound. I looked at the DM-2, but for that price I could get a lot more versatility.

Comment

New Delay/Echo

If you really want versatility check TC's delays like the flashback, you should appreciate the TonePrint technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Blille; 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X