banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PedalBoard w/ Quick Reviews (Neunaber)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PedalBoard w/ Quick Reviews (Neunaber)

Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM.IMG_20170114_164932.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	5842986Gear Used: Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Stiletto Ace, Mesa 1X12 Cab
    Genre: Alt Rock / Modern Rock (although I feel this setup can handle a majority of styles).

I've always sought out pedals to complete my board. Previous musical projects (and this one to an extent) I fell in to the trap off adding pedals unnecessarily. Sometimes they complimented my tone, other times they took away from it and colored it too much. On occasion, some were never even used or used rarely. This time around, I wanted to focus on bare bones approach. I wanted it versatile enough that my clean tone could realistically have several "presets." Now the Stiletto has an amazing clean. These pedals accent it and give it more character. All my dirt comes from the amp, so I also needed pedals that worked well on dirt. My board is a Pedaltrain JR. I got a small one, because 1; if I got anything larger, I would buy more unnecessary pedals and 2. I wanted to stick to a minimalist approach.

Neunaber Seraphim: One of my favorite pedals. From the beautiful graphics, to the organic, ambient, sometimes haunting, choir of angels angelic tone it produces. It's a 2 in 1 pedal: Shimmer and Wet Reverb. Just hold down button for a second and wet mode is active. Wet is a Hall like reverb. Unfortunately, most clips on Youtube are a little over the top, which might turn some people off. I found that with Mix between noon and 3 and shimmer from 9 to noon, there's a very useable shimmer effect that adds a nice texture to clean. I use it mainly on picking open chords which allows single notes to chime through. Subtle usage works best. But if you want, Ambient style, dime it.

Neunaber Chroma: This is a V1 stereo pedal. All stereo models (except Immerse) regardless of V1 or V2 can use the software. Software is stupid simple. Plug in pedal, load software, select whichever algorithm you want and click one button. Any pedal Nuenaber has can be loaded into ANY stereo pedal. They even have more effects on there software that's not on their pedals (phaser/flange/tremolo).

I'm very picky with Chorus. I've several from small clone, black label chorus, voodoo labs, waveland, etc and I got rid of all of them. Just couldn't gel with it. Most are too warbly or color it too much. There's lush and there's too much. This chorus is more like a micro pitch shifter. If that 90s style chorus you're after, you can download the preset from the software. Stock it sounds great. I never liked chorus on dirt until now. Most choruses on OD lose bass response and/or warble/swirl is out of control, but the Chroma is very useable on dirt. Thickens up nicely.

Neunaber Echelon: Just like chorus, I'm picky with delays. I've owned Cusack TME, TC flashback, Carbon Copy, Nova system, too name a few. Neither are able to hold it's own against Echelon. It's an echo pedal, tape delay style. It has tap tempo. Delay times range from 50,s to 1 second. You can get a nice PingPong/U2 style delay, Gilmoure style lead, twangy slapback and everything in between. It offers glossy top end (not brittle or thin) massive depth (but not a lot of body so tone isn't cluttered, so you can get good definition). There's a slight delay when switching off pedal which allows trails to run off. With dirt, it doesn't get muddy. Very articulate.

All pedals listed have 100% mix capability.

Here's some quick Youtube videos on them (not mine)

Last edited by mwalluk; 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: New PedalBoard w/ Quick Reviews (Neunaber)

Those YT vids were deleted... can you find links to ones that are up?
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
      Those YT vids were deleted... can you find links to ones that are up?
      Sorry about that. On my work computer so YouTube's blocked. Tried sending link via youtube app which didn't work, had to actually bring Youtube up in browser on phone to get link.
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

New PedalBoard w/ Quick Reviews (Neunaber)

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
        Genre: Alt Rock / Modern Rock (although I feel this setup can handle a majority of styles).

Neunaber Seraphim: One of my favorite pedals. From the beautiful graphics, to the organic, ambient, sometimes haunting, choir of angels angelic tone it produces. It's a 2 in 1 pedal: Shimmer and Wet Reverb. Just hold down button for a second and wet mode is active. Wet is a Hall like reverb. Unfortunately, most clips on Youtube are a little over the top, which might turn some people off. I found that with Mix between noon and 3 and shimmer from 9 to noon, there's a very useable shimmer effect that adds a nice texture to clean. I use it mainly on picking open chords which allows single notes to chime through. Subtle usage works best. But if you want, Ambient style, dime it.

All pedals listed have 100% mix capability.
        Thanks for the reviews.

When do you choose to use shimmer? When you say open chords is it also slow, low energy tunes? I'm surprised you use it in alt rock.

I used to have a Digitech Supernatural that sounded really good but couldn't really find a good musical use for the shimmer beyond the bedroom.

It sounds like you have it very subtle but doesn't it get in the way of keyboards or acoustic?
        Last edited by Blille; 01-16-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I only use shimmer on a couple songs. It's only on during clean parts for original songs. By open chords, I don't mean traditiinal but rather some funky suspended jazz chords that I don't know the exact names of which I arpeggio pick. The songs aren't slow, but more mod tempo.

Since it's used subtly, it doesnt interfere with vocals or 2nd guitar. Its more depth and texture.

We have a few other songs that require clean and distorted tones which I dont use shimmer for. Reason, is not to wear out effect.

I use shimmer on songs that are like Metallicas nothibg else matters creeds a thousand faces or similar songs. I know they dont use shimmer, but that effect works for them.
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X