• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blille
    replied
    Re: NPD x 2: EHX Soul Food and East River

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
    It's funny, I use my klones to brighten things up a bit. I have a relatively dark rhythm tone so to get my leads to cut through, especially with another guitarist, I turn the treble knob up and use it as a boost.
    That treble knob is definitely useful, no matter where you take it

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    A friend of mine got an ERD as well and we compared it extensively to the Maxon OD9 I had at the time. We both liked the ERD better, lol, but they were pretty close.

Admitedly, though, my OD9 was an oddball. It did not come with the JRC chip they say it's supposed to come with. I did buy it used, so I can't be sure if it came that way stock, but it didn't look like anyone had been inside that pedal before me.

But anyways, my point is yes, the ERD rules.
    That's funny. After a few months trying to find a deal on an OD9 I gave up and bought the ERD. good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

A friend of mine got an ERD as well and we compared it extensively to the Maxon OD9 I had at the time. We both liked the ERD better, lol, but they were pretty close.

Admitedly, though, my OD9 was an oddball. It did not come with the JRC chip they say it's supposed to come with. I did buy it used, so I can't be sure if it came that way stock, but it didn't look like anyone had been inside that pedal before me.

But anyways, my point is yes, the ERD rules.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

It's funny, I use my klones to brighten things up a bit. I have a relatively dark rhythm tone so to get my leads to cut through, especially with another guitarist, I turn the treble knob up and use it as a boost.

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

Originally posted by Blille View Post
    I find it harsh only with gain cranked. Love it for 80% of the gain sweep so if you want it as a boost it's great. And it has an individual treble control so you can tame it.
    I would agree with that. It doesn't get harsh until the gain is pretty high. In the lower gain ranges, especially with the treble dialed down, it's a fairly warm sounding clean boost.

Leave a comment:

• AniML
    replied

I'm guessing it hit a bottleneck going through the DC area this week.

Legitimately humbled by the pedals history. Hopefully each of your abilities rubbed off on it and will lift me a bit out of my mediocrity

I also have my eye on getting an ERD, and recently got a DOD Carcosa Fuzz. What fun pedal, hoping it plays nicely with the Soul Food.
    Last edited by AniML; 01-22-2017, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Lord have mercy! That hasn't arrived yet? I could've driven to NY and back by now.

Btw, just a little background. Forum admin Scott F. was the original owner of that. So it has some pedigree. I bought a 2nd one because it used to be cool to run two Arion Tubulators into each other for a 2-stage affect. Worked great for the cheap Arion. Not so much for the Soul Food. Now it's yours. Well, tomorrow.

I still have my original. She's a keeper.

Leave a comment:

• AniML
    replied

My Soul Food is scheduled for delivery tomorrow from ^^ that guy. Looking forward to it

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

It feels a bit harsh at high gain levels but that's not where I have it.
    Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
    I'm currently looking for a warm clean boost, and the Soul Food was one of my prime candidates, so the mention of it as "harsh" scares me a little.
    I find it harsh only with gain cranked.
    Don't be afraid. For high gain, roll the tone control of the guitar back. It then becomes the quintessential "woman" tone.

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
    I have never played a klon, but my klones I have are part for part, right down to the Russian germanium diodes that are so hard to find.

The Soul Food is a different sound but in the ballpark. I say judge it on its own merits rather than compare it to the Klon or other Klon based designs. Not a bad sounding pedal, but don't expect it to be an exact match for the original Centaur. More like a different flavour of klone, much like there are many different variations on the Tubescreamer that get you that sound, but with their own distinct character.
    This review did it for me. Even if there were differences (not that it would matter) nobody in the audience would notice

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    NPD x 2: EHX Soul Food and East River

Cool. Can you dial down the treble in the Soul Food and still get good results?

I'm currently looking for a warm clean boost, and the Soul Food was one of my prime candidates, so the mention of it as "harsh" scares me a little.
    I find it harsh only with gain cranked. Love it for 80% of the gain sweep so if you want it as a boost it's great. And it has an individual treble control so you can tame it.

If you want warm (aka mids) though, I would choose the ERD instead, check the review LPB posted above.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Just need a Glove to complete the trio.
    You know it!

I might get the Double Muff first though, we'll see

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Just need a Glove to complete the trio.

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

I have never played a klon, but my klones I have are part for part, right down to the Russian germanium diodes that are so hard to find.

The Soul Food is a different sound but in the ballpark. I say judge it on its own merits rather than compare it to the Klon or other Klon based designs. Not a bad sounding pedal, but don't expect it to be an exact match for the original Centaur. More like a different flavour of klone, much like there are many different variations on the Tubescreamer that get you that sound, but with their own distinct character.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• stratguy23
    replied

Cool. Can you dial down the treble in the Soul Food and still get good results?

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    NPD x 2: EHX Soul Food and East River

How do they compare with the Tube Screamer and Klon?

Actually, scratch the Klon, I don't expect you to have owned or played that

Are you liking these pedals?
    Lol No I haven't owned a Klon and I've just played through Klones.

I am really liking them.

The east river is a pretty classic 808 flavor, you feel right at home if you like TS. It feels like a steal at the price.

The Soul Food works great IMHO for what I use it, to add a little bit of gain, treble or stack it with another pedal or push the amp. It feels a bit harsh at high gain levels but that's not where I have it.

I play mostly a Charvel through a 5e3 btw.
    Last edited by Blille; 01-22-2017, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X