banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simulate neck pickup with modeling technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulate neck pickup with modeling technology?

I have a guitar with only a bridge bucker which I like tremendously but I'm wondering if I it is possible to set up a lead profile with some EQing included that sounds like I'm using the neck pickup for soloing. Would that be possible with say an AxeFX or a Kemper or maybe even Line6 stuff?

Re: Simulate neck pickup with modeling technology?

Well, that isn't the way a Fractal/Kemper/Helix works...it doesn't physically model each string (which is what you would need). The sound of a neck pickup is more complex than just effects, EQ, amp, mic, or cab type. The closest I've heard to this technology is Roland's VG-99 or GP-10..or Line6's Variax guitars, which do a respectable job.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Does the guitar have a tone control? If it does, roll it back. I do that with my Esquire and SG Jr. It's definitely not the same but gets me "close enough". If you don't have a tone control, a simple graphic EQ pedal would do the trick to get you "close enough" like the Boss GE-7.

Comment

That sounds like something you'd want a Roland V-Guitar setup for.

What guitar is it? Does it have a pickguard? Might it be routed for a neck humbucker already?
        Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Does the guitar have a tone control? If it does, roll it back. I do that with my Esquire and SG Jr. It's definitely not the same but gets me "close enough". If you don't have a tone control, a simple graphic EQ pedal would do the trick to get you "close enough" like the Boss GE-7.
          yea that was my first thought
          EQ of some sort
          pedal preferably
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I wonder if anyone's invented already an active control of sorts, in the shape of a tone pot that not only would roll back some treble like a tone pot does, but also add a bit of low-mids/lows as if it was a neck pickup? You'd roll that back and BAM! Instant fake neck pickup sounds.

However, in my experience... a well dialed fuzz pedal can do this, for more styles than you'd believe.
            It will thicken up the signal and make it as hot or mild as you want.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Sounds like a lot of technology to do what fuzz, distortion and other boost pedals have done for like 70 years....
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The other thing that helps, which no one has mentioned yet, is actually moving your picking hand toward the neck just enough to get a warmer rounder tone off the strings but still being clear.

Another thing that kind of does it is an Esquire dark circuit. It's a simple RC network that simulates an acoustic jazz guitar (or that was it's intent). I'm talking about the 2-cap 1-resistor version, not the fake single cap that guys think is equivalent (but it isn't.) The real one leaks treble, so you get the pluck and scratch of the strings, plenty of bass and a bit of scoop in the mids, but all from the bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by h3r3t1k View Post
                  I have a guitar with only a bridge bucker which I like tremendously but I'm wondering if I it is possible to set up a lead profile with some EQing included that sounds like I'm using the neck pickup for soloing. Would that be possible with say an AxeFX or a Kemper or maybe even Line6 stuff?
                  Why not just add a neck pickup?
                  If that is not practical for some reason the best thing is to follow beaubrummels advice: by moving your picking hand toward the neck and changing the pick angle you can get a neck tone. It will take a good bit of practice but a worthwhile skill to develop.
                  Electronic simulation can do many things but it seems that we have come to rely and expect too much from technology and in so lost some of the art of guitar playing.

Comment

I'll say it again just to make sure it's not lost and as a "I told you" thing:

A fuzz pedal.

You're welcome.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Well, I don't think a fuzz pedal or any effects for that matter can simulate the tone and feel of a neck pickup that is in the right place for a 22 fret guitar. You will never get that out of a tone control, and never out of a 24 fret guitar's neck pickup, either. The Variax and VG-8/88 come close. The neck pickup 'sound' is much more than EQ or fuzz level.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This Ibanez RG55xh did have a neck pickup simulator, that was supposed to do the job. I never tried on, though...
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Maybye an octave pedal with the 'Tone' and 'Direct' set almost all the way back.

Comment

Everything about the harmonic structure is off. It has very little to do with EQ curve or voicing.

Closest I've ever heard though, is a phaser when it gets to the throatiest part of the curve, or some very specific Flangers with negative (phase inverted) feedback loops. Envelope filters that go down instead of up, like the old Boss T-Wah and Dynamic Filter can be manipulated to do it a little but my choice, if i had to do it...is the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser. I have the small Bass version. You would set the sensitivity high so it was almost always pegged, and play with the resonance until you got the desired result. Set in the "down" position.

Comment

Working...
                            X