banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Pedals (Tech 21, Friedman, Way Huge, EHX, DOD, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Pedals (Tech 21, Friedman, Way Huge, EHX, DOD, etc.)

I went to NAMM this year for 2 days and wanted to share some of what I saw. I'll be starting threads in the Pickups, Guitars, Amps, and Pedals sections. Please note the following disclaimers:

DISCLAIMER 1: These previews are by no means comprehensive. I was at NAMM for only 2 out of 4 days. There are, like, 10 billion things there. I only checked out what interested me.

DISCLAIMER 2: Guitars and Amp threads will be more substantial because those interest me most. Pedals and Pickups threads will be skimpy because those don't demo well in the NAMM environment.

DISCLAIMER 3: My 5 year-old phone has a terrible camera.

Enjoy!

NAMM 2017 Guitars thread
    NAMM 2017 Amps thread
    NAMM 2017 Pickups thread

There are many pedal manufacturers at NAMM - this seems to be the fastest growing segment of the electric guitar industry - but NAMM isn't a great place to demo or learn about pedals. The typical presentation is a giant pedalboard filled with a brand's complete line of pedals, and some guy hogging the pedalboard for hours at a time.

So I didn't spend much time with pedals at NAMM. I just happened to catch the stuff listed below.

1. Tech 21 Fly Rigs (Brit, Cali, 5 (Plexi), Richie Kotzen (RK5))

Click image for larger version

Name:	TECH21-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	5843078

Half the Fly Rigs aren't new, but they're all new to me, and probably still new to many. They're at a price point ($250ish) that's certainly within reach but not as mentally accessible as your average $100 or $150 pedal one gambles on, knowing that one can easily flip it.

Tech 21 had them all lined up to try, so I tried them all - and liked them all.

If I remember correctly, there are 4 flavors:
    1. Plexi (the original "Fly Rig 5")
    2. Richie Kotzen sig ("RK5")
    3. Brit
    4. Cali

I have to emphasize how small these things are. They are smaller than they look in pictures. From the Tech 21 site: "Actual size: 11.5" x 2.5"w x 1.25"h • Weight: 18.6 oz". So each one is about the size of a stack of foot-long rulers.

The delay ("DLA") and SansAmp sections of each seemed to be all the same, so I'll focus on the respective drive sections.
    Plexi - I was surprised at how Plexi-like this was. This is not a high gain pedal. It can kind of get there with boost ("Hot" switch) engaged, but its sweet spot is the most classic of classic rock. I loved it.

Richie Kotzen - This was sort of like a Tube Screamer through the Plexi model, with a noticeably thick, creamy midrange bump. I quite liked this also, and think it could work well in the stoner rock/metal context.

Brit - This was a hot rodded Marshall. This performed very well, but it didn't stick out to me in terms of character. This space is extremely crowded at this price point. I would pick the original 2-channel Carl Martin Plexitone over this, or the Bogner La Grange or Ecstasy Blue, as those have more idiosyncratic flavors. If you wanted a truly generic (and I mean that in a good way) hot rodded Marshall tone, Brit might be for you.

Cali - This was a Mesa-type of smooth high gain. Not my thing, but very good. It would be a viable smaller alternative to, say, the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal.

I am amazed at how much tone one can get now from such small form factors. We have nano or mini pedals now, so the Fly Rigs are sort of like all-in-one nano pedalboards. The controls are *tiny*, but that comes with the territory. You could show up at a gig with a guitar, a tuner, and one of these ruler-sized things, and plug into any ol' clean amp and rock the house. Well-done.

2. Friedman Dirty Shirley, Buxom Boost, Motor City Drive, Fuzz Fiend

Name:	FRIEDMAN-1.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5843079 Click image for larger version

Name:	FRIEDMAN-2.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5843080

Name:	FRIEDMAN-3.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	5843081 Click image for larger version

Name:	FRIEDMAN-4.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5843082

I only had time to try the Dirty Shirley pedal. I've only spent a little time playing an actual Dirty Shirley, so I can't really compare the amp to the pedal. But I have played the BE-OD, and can say that if you liked the BE-OD, as I did, but wanted less gain, the Dirty Shirley fits the bill. It is simply a great Marshall in a box.

I must point out that it still felt like a pedal. The real thing will still be much better, as it should be. Dave Friedman's amps, like all good amps, have a presence that can only be emulated but not replicated by a pedal. You don't get the sensation that valves and speakers are working in concert with each other and you.

But this pedal sounds and feels fantastic for a pedal. I feel that Friedman makes the best Marshalls today, and this pedal is an affordable way to bottle some of that magic.
    Last edited by stratguy23; 01-28-2017, 02:06 AM.

Re: Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Pedals (Tech 21, Friedman, Way Huge, EHX, DOD, etc.

3. Way Huge Conquistador, Russian Pickle

Name:	WAYHUGE-1.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	5797698 Click image for larger version

Name:	WAYHUGE-2.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5797699

I tried these briefly, but Dunlop's testing station was all jacked up, so I couldn't get a clear read on their sound, other than that the Conquistador was indeed a fuzzstortion, which is a new-ish class of pedal that intrigues the stoner/doom part of me.

4. Electro-Harmonix Operation Overlord

Name:	EHX-1.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5797700

I was told that this is a JFET overdrive amp-in-a-box with a non-clean (i.e., gainy) boost.

5. Digitech CabDryVR, FreqOut; DOD Rubberneck

Name:	DIGITECH-1.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5797701

The CabDryVR interests me the most as a candidate to help turn pedalboards into recording tools.

6. Seymour Duncan Andromeda

Name:	SD-1.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	5797702

I have no interest in delays, so I'm not the target audience for this. But maybe the Andromeda is going up against, say, the Strymon Timeline?
    Last edited by stratguy23; 01-27-2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Re: Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Pedals (Tech 21, Friedman, Way Huge, EHX, DOD, etc.

BTW, I have used a FlyRig5 since it came out at NAMM 2 years ago. It is really a remarkable pedal. And it is tiny.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool. I've been eyeing the RK5 FlyRig myself.

Comment

I saw the Friedman pedals and now I'm having heart palpitations.

Comment

The Fly Rigs are compact. I was surprised the first time I saw one in person. Smaller than they look in pictures.

The Way Huge Conquistador and Russian Pickle are in stores already. I picked up a Conquistador a week or two ago.
            "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
            Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
            guitar pic site
            Original prog rock on soundcloud
            Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
            Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

And the circle moved again....

Comment

I have the BEOD and I am definitely interested in that Dirty Shirley pedal. Suhr Eclipse is interesting too. So many pedals, so little cash to burn.
                1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
                1992 Fernandes Telecaster
                2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
                2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
                2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
                2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
                Friedman Runt 50

Comment

I am loving this new age of IR-loaded pedals. I hope this shift away from having to be sat in front of your DAW twiddling knobs continues!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

In some cases, you still have to sit in front of a computer and tweak IR parameters, but then you send it to the pedal. I am all for this technology, and have heard some remarkable things.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Empress Echo System looks promising. I love their Tape Delay and the way they lay out the controls in general. Wish they had normal midi ports though.
                      The option of running 2 delays series or parallel, updates via SD and a relatively small footprint has me looking forward to some more proper demos.

DOD's Rubberneck delay looks cool too. These guys are coming up with some wicked pedals since their resurrection.

Still have to check out the Andromeda.

Was dissapointed with Catalinbread's Belle Epoch Deluxe though. I was hoping for them to include a footswitchable boost, tap/expression outputs, fx loop and/or perhaps a looper mode or multi head options. Could have been the be all and end all of Tape Delays (imho that is).
                      It doesn't seem to add much as the regular BE already sounds awesome. That whilst eating up double the real estate of a board and quadruple that if you add the BE Pre.
                      Still, might be worth it doing a shootout with the regular Belle.

Comment

I'm actually pretty psyched for the Carvin Vai Legacy Preamp pedal.
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                        X