Noise gate and Wah- loop or front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise gate and Wah- loop or front?

I have my main board set where I can chain everything together to the front, or split it and run the color pedals to the loop and dirts to the front. In my "front" line, I run my Wah - NS2 - Green Rhino - OCD - Amp. That sound like the best place for the Wah and NS2? I think thats what I was told before... Just seems to me like you would want the NS2 after the dist pedals.. Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Noise gate and Wah- loop or front?

Wah always first for me.

Google NS-2 X-pattern.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The NS-2 is a loop, so it would have to be 'around' the dirt pedals, not before or after.

Comment

My experience has been that noisegates perform best in the loop, at least with my Boogies. I have an MXR Smartgate there all by its lonesome and the few effects that I use are frontline through my Furman pedal board/power conditioner.
        Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
        Marshall JVM410H
        Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
        Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
        ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
        Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
        Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
        Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
        Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Thanks!!! Ill reconfigure as I currently cant tell any diff whether pedal is on or off. Prolly why..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Wah always first for me.

Google NS-2 X-pattern.
            cool!! Googled it and will do it!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Comment

Hey Bloodrose, here's my setup:

GTR -> Wah -> Tuner -> NS2 in -> NS2 send -> Amp in
                Amp FX loop out -> NS2 Return -> NS2 out -> Delay -> Amp FX loop in

I'm not using any OD or dirt pedals, but from what I've gathered, they should be placed between the NS2 send and amp in. So your setup would be:

GTR -> Wah -> NS2 in -> NS2 send -> Dirt pedals -> Amp in
                Amp FX loop out -> NS2 Return -> NS2 Out -> Amp FX loop in

What beaubrummels posted above is in accordance with that the NS2 user's manual says, but this has never worked for me. It actually generated more noise. The X pattern works very well. YMMV.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Technically they are both the same, just sub "dirt" for amp preamp. And yes, BOSS says the NS-2 is not designed to suppress preamp noise, but many find it works.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks for the info Bros!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

If you are running chorus, delay, reverb, etc... in the loop, put those between the NS2 Out and the Amp FX Loop In.

Also, if the amp's loop level is too high, the NS2 might not like being in the loop. Boss "single" pedals are designed for instrument level signals, not line level. So, if it is giving you problems in the loop, run it in front with the dirt pedals in the NS2's loop.

Comment

ok, thanks Devastone! Will keep that in mind.. going to have to once again, rewire my board...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Maybe lay out the pedals and try combinations to find what you like before committing to and hardwiring them on a board? Just a thought.

Comment

Coma, you run your tuner AFTER the Wah?? Does it matter?? I always thought tuner should go first..

Sorry to seem stupid, but wanna clarify something on the NS2 Diagram prev posted..

Looks like Id run : Guitar into Tuner Or Wah into the upper right port (marked from guitar on diagram). Upper Left (to amp) goes to the CE5 , DL8, Carbon Copy, then into the amp's loop.

The IN Dirt/ To Dirt ports are confusing me. (ALSO, where to put the MXR EQ? I go out of the amps loop to the Green Rhino , OCD, Then into the "In Dirt" port? Then Out to the amp front end??

OR: Out of effects loop, into "in dirt " port, then out from "TO DIRT" to Green Rhino, Ocd then front of amp?

Please clarify.. Also eq goes where??

Sorry guys, Just wanna get it right.. Thanks alot!!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Noise gate and Wah- loop or front?

Whatever you put between the "send to dirt" and "return from dirt" is what will trigger the noise gate to open.

I wouldn't have the delays before the ods. I would have the ods before the amp and the delays in the amp loop. Unless you are trying to drive the ods with amp sound??

But I wouldn't run the amp loop with delays back through the ns because then the gate will cut off your delay/reverb tails.

There's no law anyway. It can work with delays before distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X