Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noise gate and Wah- loop or front?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Coma, you run your tuner AFTER the Wah?? Does it matter?? I always thought tuner should go first..
    Thought so too, but it didn't make any difference for me. So yeah, wah first, then tuner, then noisemakers.

Here's how I'd do it:

1: Guitar -> Wah -> Tuner -> NS2 In

2: NS2 send -> Dirt/OD -> Amp in

3: FX loop out -> NS2 return.

4: NS2 output -> Delay/Reverb/Chorus/etc -> Fx loop in.

This is what works for me. I know it gets confusing with the NS2 out ot being conencted to amp in, but as metnin, the X pattern isn't what the pedal was designed for. It just happens to work very well that way.

So, in your case, I'd put the Green Rhino and OCD between NS2 Send and amp in. And I'd probably put the EQ before NS2 in. But I have no experience with these pedals, so anybody else have a differing opinion, feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by Coma; 02-25-2017, 06:30 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Technically they are both the same, just sub "dirt" for amp preamp. And yes, BOSS says the NS-2 is not designed to suppress preamp noise, but many find it works.
      So, am I following you correctly that the to amp would go to front of amp and to/from dirt would be from the effects loop?? Sorry if Im being dense.. just wanna get it correct
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So, am I following you correctly that the to amp would go to front of amp and to/from dirt would be from the effects loop?? Sorry if Im being dense.. just wanna get it correct
        The NS-2 is not intended to be in the FX loop of an amp, but people use it that way and it works for some. It's intended to be a noise gated loop for your overdrive and distortion pedals by itself before ever hitting the amp.

Comment

Im sorry to flog a horse, but Im a "why" guy.. Several of you have recommended the x pattern and its pretty well documented online.. Anyone know why that is more effective than the way the pedal is set up? The pedal appears to be set up to use the straight across connections..(which is how Ive tried to use it) Im going to try the X. Just seems goofy that it doesnt work best the way it was designed.

And also, Im reading this that there is not a "best" order format for my color pedals. So think Ill first try EQ - DL8 - Carbon Copy - Seafoam plus - Holy Grail - loop in.

Seems like the verb should be last at least..
          Last edited by BloodRose; 03-04-2017, 06:31 AM.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Im sorry to flog a horse, but Im a "why" guy.. Several of you have recommended the x pattern and its pretty well documented online.. Anyone know why that is more effective than the way the pedal is set up? The pedal appears to be set up to use the straight across connections..(which is how Ive tried to use it) Im going to try the X. Just seems goofy that it doesnt work best the way it was designed.

And also, Im reading this that there is not a "best" order format for my color pedals. So think Ill first try EQ - DL8 - Carbon Copy - Seafoam plus - Holy Grail - loop in.

I'm not sure what 'straight across connections' means exactly, but the main reason for using the X-pattern in the FX loop of your amp is if part of the noise is coming from the pre section of your amp. If you do use it in an X-pattern in the FX loop of your amp, you still should keep reverbs and delays after the NS-2 output so that the noise gate doesn't kill the tails of your reverb and delay repeats. You really just want it to gate distortion/overdrive portions of your signal. I would include modulation FX also in the NS-2 loop as modulation often brings up noise in the sound; usually you can still hear the swirl when you aren't even playing.

Comment

Because the X pattern routes your signal path so the entire preamp stage is placed within the noise cancellation loop. Basically, instead of having just the dirt pedals in the send-return loop of the NS2, you're npw including the preamp as well.
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

If you just think of your preamp as another dirt pedal, it makes sense and is still working "as designed". But it is a Boss pedal, it is designed for instrument level signals, if you have a hot (line level) loop, it may not work correctly in the loop. In that case I would still use it in front with the dirt/compression pedals in the loop of the NS.

Comment

beaubrummels, The way the pedal is laid out, , looks like the in and out would be straight across. thats what I was referring to.

Thanks for the addl info guys! I just wanted to know why it was beneficial to run it that way.. Makes sense!
                  Got everything redone yesterday. Just needed to order a connector to rig things up until I can afford a cable with a rt angle on one end.. Will try it out soon as I get that connector..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Connectors recd in the mail today. Test run tomorrow!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X