Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    .I know I would trip on something or hit someone in the head with my guitar neck.
    Obviously need a bigger rig with more headroom ...
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      Obviously need a bigger rig with more headroom ...
      FTW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just have the bass player stomp on it.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you are already playing with all your gain coming from the amp and not any pedals out front, then you've already hit the ceiling of the preamp. Any boost out front will just add more gain and compress more, no volume boost. What you need in that case is a volume boost post preamp. If you have some clean-ish headroom on your amp, then a boost out front will work some. Sometimes a good boost out front is an EQ with the mids boosted. Another options is whoever is running sound, if you have a soundperson at the board, have them bump your level up in the mains for leads, same with the other guitarist.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Just have the bass player stomp on it.
            I thought about that, but bass players are confused enough as it is! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              If you are already playing with all your gain coming from the amp and not any pedals out front, then you've already hit the ceiling of the preamp. Any boost out front will just add more gain and compress more, no volume boost. What you need in that case is a volume boost post preamp. If you have some clean-ish headroom on your amp, then a boost out front will work some. Sometimes a good boost out front is an EQ with the mids boosted. Another options is whoever is running sound, if you have a soundperson at the board, have them bump your level up in the mains for leads, same with the other guitarist.
              I'm a modeler for sound and just keep my solid state amp clean. The volume is almost never above about 3.5 and it reacts pretty well to changes up or down in volume coming from the rest of my rig. I have a clean boost pedal in front of the whole thing now which I use to bump the volume just a touch when I'm playing split coils, phase reversed, or single coils so I don't have a drop in volume when switching to any of them compared to the humbuckers. I've cranked it up before, though, and it gives a nice kick to the volume and causes a little more breakup so I don't think a different boost would be any different from that standpoint.

I have to admit too, though that a big part of the equation is just to see if it can be done! [emoji6] The core concept is to be able to essentially take the pedal with you when you're away from your rig AND to be able to use it with any guitar.

Comment

For anyone who's interested, I made the trial version today. Didn't have a proper box to put it in and was kinda stuck at home so I improvised...

Guess what? It WORKS!!! [emoji41]

Now I just have to find a more rugged box and a belt clip for it. I kinda like the cigarette pack, but it's far too fragile. Unless, of course, I can figure out a way to toughen it up! Hmmmm... [emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                  For anyone who's interested, I made the trial version today. Didn't have a proper box to put it in and was kinda stuck at home so I improvised...

Now I just have to find a more rugged box and a belt clip for it. I kinda like the cigarette pack, but it's far too fragile. Unless, of course, I can figure out a way to toughen it up! Hmmmm... [emoji848]

Put it in a metal case then put that inside the cigarette box, it's too cool not to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't do the 'wander in the crowd' thing (and don't quite get it when other people do it), but I dig the fact that you built something cool that works.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I don't do the 'wander in the crowd' thing (and don't quite get it when other people do it), but I dig the fact that you built something cool that works.
                      The dancers like it, but I have to admit that it's also kind of an ego trip! [emoji12]

Comment

There are all sorts of boost circuits you can wire into the guitar and operate with a switch or push pull. Artec does one with a rotary knob to choose between a bunch of different built in overdrives, boosts, overdrives and distortions.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                          There are all sorts of boost circuits you can wire into the guitar and operate with a switch or push pull. Artec does one with a rotary knob to choose between a bunch of different built in overdrives, boosts, overdrives and distortions.
                          I realize that, but I'm going for something that could be used with ANY guitar yet still be portable. The idea is to NOT be limited to a single guitar with an onboard boost, nor to have to purchase and install them on multiple guitars. I like to spread the love around between my guitars, and this would allow me to be able to play any of them (or even someone else's) and still have the option.

Think of it as a pedal on your belt right next to your wireless transmitter.

Comment

Lamb of God guitar player in the Moshpit;

I never heard of a guitar player "Jumping " into the Mosh like a singer though.
                            Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-12-2017, 09:23 PM.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Brian May has a Range Master hanging from his guitar strap because it won't play nice with the low impedance output from his wireless unit.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post

Now that would be cool to pull a ciggy out and the next time you strike your strings it's in overload mode. Close the box and back to normal rhythm.

Comment

Working...
                                X