Killswitch booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killswitch booster?

Had a crazy idea last night. Clean boosters are a fairly simple circuit. A killswitch pedal could be easily built, wouldn't even require a power source and could potentially give you some cool stuttering effects.
    Would it be possible to build a combined killswitch/booster housed in the same enclosure and using only one footswitch and one mini toggle?
    So you'd have the boost circuit, turn it off or on with the footswitch, or throw the toggle and use the same footswitch as a bypass/cutoff killswitch.
    The bypass path would then be the same for both pedal modes and the toggle switch would change which part of the circuit is engaged in non-bypass.

Possible at all? Or would it need to be built with two separate footswitches?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Killswitch booster?

Sounds plausible, the toggle would just ground out the signal when in killswitch mode. The only thing I'd add to your spec is to use a non-latching/momentary switch such as TC use in the Spark mini-booster, so that you could do fast stuttering engages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Killswitch booster?

Yeah, that just dawned on me as well. The footswitch would need to work as an on/off standard switch in boost mode but as a momentary circuit breaker in killswitch mode. and I'm not entirely certain how to go about that.

The switch TC uses is actually flat litte toggle (forgot exactly what they're called) mounted on the PC board. The metal footswitch has a spring that presses down on it.
      Last edited by Coma; 02-14-2017, 05:59 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
      X