Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need something for solos on a solid state

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The Pickup Booster will do it. And it doesn't add any color of its own.
    this has my attention for sure.

Comment

I did not try the Pickup Booster, but it would probably do the same thing as the LPB-1 but maybe without all the noise. I did try two other clean boosts (3 total). Did not quite match the eq pedal. They both emphasized pick noise too much.

Personally, I'd say try the pickup booster and an eq pedal and keep whichever one you like better.

The only advantage of the Tech21 is that it has the delay going on. The boost itself sounds 99% exactly the same as my EQ pedal the way I use it. Really nice sustain. I run the delay with one slapback repeat, tone all the way down (which makes the repeat more like a dull echo rather than a doubling), and the balance way down so the repeat is not quite as loud as the original signal. As far as I can tell, all the "Boost ___" Tech 21 pedals have the same boost circuit; I tried their Boost RVB first and the boost was just what I wanted but the reverb did NOT work in front of a gainy amp so I sold it and got the delay. I assume all their others (Boost Comp, Boost overdrive, etc.) would have that exact same boost circuit. It works really well for my guitar/amp/style.

Oh yeah, I forgot I also tried 3 or 4 different compressors. Did not work as well as the rest, although one (the Moen Ulite or Uni-lite Comp with a bypassable tone circuit) has a TON of boost available and I probably would have kept it if I didn't have the other pedals first.
      Last edited by Dave Locher; 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Keeley Katana. Either clean boost or top boost. I bet that the top boost function would sound the best. And the sucker is LOUD if you want it to be.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe try out an EQ-pedal. For the solos, you can crank up the mids and the lows to punch through the mix. It's an alternative to getting a boost pedal which might over drive the amp rather than make it louder.

Comment

I appreciate all the input. I've been checking out vids and this isn't helping my pedal fetish at all lmao. Now I want a Kalamazoo pedal too. Completely different than what I was looking for. Lol. I'll check into the katana. I've always been interested in keeley.

Comment

looking like im about to land a dod eq fx40b at a decent price... gottta love Indy Sg.....you guys think this will give me that boost I am looking for?

Comment

eq is a great solo boost. you pick the frequencies you want boosted and can add an overall level boost as well. or boost a bunch of level and cut out some frequencies to help you cut through better

Comment

Yes, it will. More than you need: 18 dB boost or cut on each notch AND the master volume slider gives another 18 dB boost or cut.
                  I used to shove the lows and mids way up and leave the volume slider at unity, but I have found that just a nudge in the mids with a tiny cut to lows and highs accomplishes the same thing, then use the volume slider to adjust total boost. Experiment a little, but I bet you can find what you're looking for.
                  It won't boost volume on the red channel unless you use vintage-output pickups. Nothing will. But it will give you more gain, which means more compression. And if you boost and cut the right frequencies it will seem louder.

Edit: I just noticed the Strat in your avatar. With single-cool pickups you WILL get a jump in volume along with the thicker gain, even in the red channel.
                  Last edited by Dave Locher; 03-18-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I think you are going to be a happy camper.

Comment

Working...
                    X