banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you preamp pedal pushers, there's a new kid in town...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you preamp pedal pushers, there's a new kid in town...

It appears to be the full Legacy 1 clean and gain preamp channels in a pedal format.

Guitar legend Steve Vai and Carvin Audio are excited to announce the new Steve Vai Legacy DRIVE Preamp Pedal! Take your tone anywhere with the new Legacy Drive.

Re: For all you preamp pedal pushers, there's a new kid in town...

Did you know about these from Mooer? Now we preamp pedal users have more options

Check out our full range from Mooer Audio here! - http://tinyurl.com/y8kyr9wwPlease note this video is from NAMM 2017 - for all the latest NAMM coverage, mak...

Trying out the new Micro Preamp Pedals from Mooer Audio. Based on the amplifiers: Diezel Hagen, Mesa Boogie Mark III, EVH 5150 and a Engl BlackmoreCheck out ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      Did you know about these from Mooer? Now we preamp pedal users have more options

Check out our full range from Mooer Audio here! - http://tinyurl.com/y8kyr9wwPlease note this video is from NAMM 2017 - for all the latest NAMM coverage, mak...

Trying out the new Micro Preamp Pedals from Mooer Audio. Based on the amplifiers: Diezel Hagen, Mesa Boogie Mark III, EVH 5150 and a Engl BlackmoreCheck out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gahk6rsaHLM
      Now that's the way you do it! Concept is outstanding, gotta try one and see if it is a real world winner.

Comment

I remember quite liking the tones I got out of my Legacy 1 before I blew it up. Thing was loud as hell, too.

I'd be interested in trying it out - maybe with the Powerstage power amp Duncan has coming out?

I hope Carvin puts out a better vid with more explanation of the controls and tones though it does seem pretty straightforward.

Comment

Thanks IMENATOR, I have seen those Mooer preamps, look like fun and great price, they are digital FWIW, but that isn't a turn off to me if they sound good. May have to give one a try at some point, really like the sounds in that last vid you posted.

The Legacy looks cool too, it's a proper high voltage tube preamp, more along the lines of the AMT SS tube preamps (and others), supposedly it is the full front end of the Legacy 1. Should have more details tomorrow, the release date is tomorrow.

Comment

Carvin says price is $499 USD

Comment

Maybe a bit steep considering some of it's competition. You can pick up used Legacy's for that or less, but I guess that defeats the point.

FWIW, , the 3 channel AMT SS-11s are $399 or less.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen used Legacy 1 heads go for that much, but hey... wait until the first people who buy them also sell them and then take advantage of the depreciation.

Besides, I think being able to pair up the Legacy pre-amp section with your choice of power amp section might be a cool thing. Plus, if you can pair it up with something like Duncan's Power Station then you'd basically be able to not have to haul a 50+ pound amp head with you to a gig.

Crate tried to do the small class d power amp thing with the Power Block but those didn't last long... I never got the chance to try one out or even see/hear one in person.

That being said, tube heads have traditional produced very satisfying tonal results for me. If I can get results that are just as good or better for what I like out of a rack or pedal-mounted setup, cool. Until then, I'll stick with what works.

Either way I'd like to try it out.
                Last edited by B2D; 02-15-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah, a full tube preamp running at proper high voltage in a pedal format, what's not to love.

I used an AMT SS-11b for a few years, they have 3 channels, built in cab sim, an fx loop, and sounds great. So, I was excited to see the Legacy version, but it has some serious competition at the price point.

I agree, if they follow the Legacy heads, they will be showing up for really good deals on the used market by next year.

FWIW, I do have a ISP Stealth power amp that works great for stuff like this, is 180W, and only weighs a couple pounds. Right now, the Mooer JCM900 (#002) sounds really appealing for $99.
                  Last edited by devastone; 02-15-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Some new videos of the Legacy pedal up, yeah, if I had a full time job right now, I would be thinking seriously about trying one out...

This video digs deeper into the wide array of sounds that the Legacy Drive tube preamp pedal offers. Discover how to achieve your own tonal signature with th...

They really haven't mentioned the cab sim out, didn't notice it until I watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNUMUvtY3UM

I know it's easy enough to run "loop" effects after this, but still, at the price point, a loop would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Some new videos of the Legacy pedal up, yeah, if I had a full time job right now, I would be thinking seriously about trying one out...

This video digs deeper into the wide array of sounds that the Legacy Drive tube preamp pedal offers. Discover how to achieve your own tonal signature with th...

They really haven't mentioned the cab sim out, didn't notice it until I watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNUMUvtY3UM

I know it's easy enough to run "loop" effects after this, but still, at the price point, a loop would be nice.
                      That sounds about like how I'd expected/hoped it to sound... like a Legacy 1 amp. The video that starts off with a Strat actually DOES sound like how a Legacy 1 into it's own cab sounds.

That being said I wish Carvin would tell you what the exact signal chain in that video was. Was that into a cab? Monitors? Straight into the DAW interface? What?

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda wondering how they were recording it too.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Exactly, my AMT SS-20 has almost same features plus the FX loop it cost 150 USD less and is uses less pedalboard space. But I have to say this Carvin VLD1 sounds very cool indeed.
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Yeah, even the SS-11 is $100 less with 3 channels and a loop.

Comment

Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                              X