banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OD pedal or other pedals would you recommend for Slide guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OD pedal or other pedals would you recommend for Slide guitar?

Hey guys,

I’m in the market for an OD pedal, I think, that will help warm up and fatten up the tone of my humbucker guitar for playing slide. What OD pedal or other pedals would you recommend for Slide guitar to achieve this goal? I have been doing a lot of research on how to get that great slide guitar tone but I haven't found any real guidance on this topic. Ideally I want to get as close to that Derek Trucks/Duane Allman tone without having to buy another amp, especial a spendy vintage Blackface Vibrolux or deluxe reverb. I know that Derek's set up is simply a SG with vintage pick ups into a vintage Blackface cranked to 8. I can't do that as I play in the basement and my neighbors and wife would kill me, so I’d like to achieve a nice slide tone that replicates that wide open valve tone as best it can at a lower volume. That said do you have a suggestion for a pedal or group of pedals to look at that might help me get close to that tone? I'm guessing it will be an OD pedal of some sort.

For reference I have a older Epiphone Les Paul tuned to open E and have two options for amps, '69 Fender Bassman 50w silverface with twin 15s and a Fender Rampart 9w with Eminance Texas Heat speaker, I can also run the Bassman through this single 12 speaker. I typically play with a glass slide and my fingers, with the tone rolled back to about 7, guitar volume rolled back to control overall volume and with the amp as loud as I can, typically about 3 on the baseman and about 5 on the Rampart and the tone I'm getting now is just very thin and kind of shrill, especially on the high E and not that warm fat tone I hear when listening to Derek play so I tend to play more on the lower strings but many of the famous likes are played on the high strings. I am practicing as much as I can and currently doing the Learn Guitar Now open E tuning slide guitar series. I know a lot of tone comes from your right hand, so I'm constantly working on my muting and so on.

I'm sure you are all family with Derek and Duane but for reference, this is the holy grail of tones and what I'm after:

http://www.learningguitarnow.com/In this video I demonstrate the different tones you can get with a Gibson SG and a 1966 Fender Vibrolux.No effects. Straig...

Thank you for any suggestions!

Re: What OD pedal or other pedals would you recommend for Slide guitar?

That Pedal Show did a cool episode with Joey Landreth last week. Obviously he's got a monster board but one of the pedals in his setup may sound nice. Also, note the compressor, it really seems to help out combining the compressor and OD.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

if you cranked up the bassman youd get what you need but itll be loud. id think the ramparte would get you most of the way there if you cranked it up.

if your thin strings sound shrill, roll the tone back more and maybe change the cap value so you are only rolling off the highs and not the upper mids too.

my favorite slide amp is a tweed deluxe cranked up but its not exactly quiet. as far as pedals i use a fuzzface type pedal frequently for slide, either an analogman red dot sunface or keeley blacktop fuzz it doesnt get you the same tone as duane or derek but it works well for slide.

Comment

I'm interested in this changing of the cap, do you have link or more info on what cap is should put in?

Comment

im assuming you have a .047 or .022 in there right now. if it were me, id start with a .015. its easy to swap the cap as long as you have a soldering iron and caps are cheap. i run as small as .01 in one guitar.

what size strings are you using? neck pup? derek uses the neck pup 95% of the time, duane used both pups frequently. i frequently use my volume rolled back to 9 and adjust the tone to taste. if you are using both pups play around with both volumes and tones and see how they interact. i find keeping the neck tone up and the bridge tone rolled back can give some cool meaty sounds. for open E tuning id use 11,14,17,26,36,50 for string gauges which i think is similar to what derek uses.

Comment

Thanks for the details. Yes I play primarily neck pick up as it is a thicker warmer tone sometimes both, rarely the bridge. I use DR Pure Blue 11's for strings.

Comment

I'm in the cranked amp category for slide, but before that I had a fair amount of luck with my Joyo Sweet Baby (MP Sweet Honey clone) and a compressor into a clean amp. The Sweet Baby does a really good imitation of a cranked tweed amp for a $30 pedal.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                That Pedal Show did a cool episode with Joey Landreth last week. Obviously he's got a monster board but one of the pedals in his setup may sound nice. Also, note the compressor, it really seems to help out combining the compressor and OD.

I was just about to go look for this vid to share in response - his tones are amazing.

And for those who just want a good watch, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That was a great watch! sounds like Joey can't live with out a OD and a reverb pedal. Looks like I will be exploring those options. Unfortunately that sweet sounding Jan Ray pedal he has is super expensive! Anyone no of a more affordable pedal with similar attributes I could check out?

Comment

Originally posted by CCG30 View Post
                    wide open valve tone as best it can at a lower volume.
                    Nobels ODR-1

the texas heat is a good thing too.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by CCG30 View Post
                      That was a great watch! sounds like Joey can't live with out a OD and a reverb pedal. Looks like I will be exploring those options. Unfortunately that sweet sounding Jan Ray pedal he has is super expensive! Anyone no of a more affordable pedal with similar attributes I could check out?
                      The internet seems to think it's a tweaked Timmy. Timmy is a great pedal to get "more" out of your amp, and they are pretty reasonably priced for being a boutique pedals.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

One of my favorites for turning a clean tone into that grindy gutbucket slide tone is the Way Huge Red Llama. They stupidly discontinued it, so find a used one.

Mike Campbell considers the Red Llama one of his secret weapons because it adds more thickness and grind to his Voxes and tweeds.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Years ago I bought a Pravey Accelerator Overdrive dirt cheap. I hated it for picked solos, but it is the best damn pedal for slide I've ever heard. Just the right amount of grind and sing without being over the top. Makes no sense, but there it is. Not playing as much slide these days so I took it off my board, but it's in the drawer if I need it.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

the tones in that vid are great but there is a lot going on. a super and 5e3 and the guitar tuned to open c with huge strings (19-68!). i play a fuzzface into a timmy overdrive frequently and that gives a great tone and a great feel. compression at low volumes helps too but i love the way a fuzzface compresses things and it works for me

Comment

Way Huge Green Rhino.

Not sure if you mentioned this, but use the neck pickup and your fingers. Try different slides, also. Derek is my slide hero, but I prefer the Dunlop Mudslide to the Blues Bottle. I use 10-46 and 11-50 and have no issues with fat slide tone.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X