Violin Effects Pedal or "other"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violin Effects Pedal or "other"???

Is anyone familiar with whether there is an effect I can use to create or simulate a violin/fiddle sound?
    My band wants to play The Devil Went Down To Georgia and so a couple of us will be playing Charlie Daniels' leads...but on guitar.
    Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Violin Effects Pedal or "other"???

Big Muff Pi
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I think it would be cool with any singing, sustaining guitar sound, rather than try to replicate an actual violin. I think EH has their M9 Mellotron emulator, which has a violin setting- the problem is the attack...it seems to fade in, and you'd need a very quick attack. I'd just use some fancy EQ and use a regular guitar sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Mel9 would be completely wrong for this situation. The strings are extremely grungy sounding for playing country. I would use a neck humbucker with the tone all the way down and a thick fuzz for this kind of thing.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

When my band did it, I just used my tele on the bridge pickup and went for a twangy tone.
          Go Packers!

Comment

One great way is to use volume pedal right after guitar to attenuate the attack. When you raise the pedal when picking and quickly swell each note in, you get that violin-like smoothness.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

its not a pedal, but an ebow is what your looking for.
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

I don't think you can play the fast stuff in that song with an Ebow. In fact, I'd love to watch someone try.

Comment

or a volume pedal, no way you could swell each note on those fast runs. i think your best bet is to learn the part really well and just accept that you play guitar and not fiddle

Comment

A lot of distortion with the Tone knob rolled back, lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs, maybe even 2-handed tapping, maybe even a pitch-shifter/harmonizer.

A felt pick to reduce the "click", but other than that, you're looking for a Strat set up with a 7" string radius at the bridge and a horsehair bow.

Hmmmm. You know those pocket/travel size dental floss things? Hmmm.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Strat with scallopped board (neck pickup) > DOD 250 > Plexi ....
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

If I was trying to replicate violin type pads and legato I agree with the ebow, volume pedal, fuzz and compressor method. For this song I'd just try to dial in an appropriate guitar sound, maybe as Newcenstein described.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. Have lots of respect for Charlie Daniels and wanna try our best to get this one right.

Comment

Looks like a job for the Gizmotron or Gizmotron 2.0

Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

The Gizmotron is sort of like a hurdy gurdy for guitar, and still has the problem of the 'attack' being slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X