The convenient wet/dry/wet rig and the Suhr ISO Line Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The convenient wet/dry/wet rig and the Suhr ISO Line Out

I posted a thread about a prospective ADA MP-1 rig some days back. Since then I have been thinking about ways one might expand this in the future, if one were to get a separate amplifier. In fact, gigging might lead to one using different amplifiers every night, and this might be considered an experiment in how to consistently be able to run a wet/dry/wet rig with the least need of tinkering between the rigs. I am in particular wondering about the Suhr ISO Line Out box. This box has, from what I can understand, been devised to work as an effects loop in an amp where there is none, by splitting the post-power amp signal and sending a manageable signal to effects, which then require a separate power amp.

My effects rig would basically be a TC Electronics G-Major 2 going into a Marshall 9040 2x200w solid state amp. The 9040 doesn't have a volume control, which is a bit of a hassle, but sounds surprisingly good. Each channel could then go into a 1x12. This would bring the equipment I needed to carry around to a very acceptable level.

But then there is the question of how to feed the FX processor. The easiest way would be to use the effects loop. But if the plan was to be flexible regarding the host amplifier one suddenly runs into trouble, effects loops can be of very different design. In most cases plugging in the send in the FX loop would kill the signal unless one plugged something into the receive, meaning that one would require the dry signal to go from the amp, into the effects processor and back into the amp again, as I have illustrated here with all my artistic skill:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	5843291

This means that one would sometimes need to put in a splitter box between the FX processor and the power amp if one wanted a true w/d/w rig:

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	5843292

In this way a w/d/w rig would be achievable, but only with an extra box and rewiring which may or may not be needed depending on the amp it is being connected to. If possible I would avoid having to tamper too much with the wiring – that is, after all, supposed to be one of the conveniences of rack gear!

I have found one potential solution which would allow a standardisation of the rack wiring, viz., a Suhr ISO Line Out. In this manner, the effect loop will be unused, and the effects taken out after the power amp. This means that the FX processor can split the signal into each side of the power amp, and a w/d/w set-up be achieved conveniently, regardless of which host amplifier is being used:

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5843293

As this box has a level knob it would also solve the problem of the power amp being knobless.

Finding one of these boxes around here would be impossible, though, so I was wondering (1) if I at all have understood how it works, (2) if this would be a viable set-up, and (3) how much the tube power amp would colour the wet signals. Does anybody here have experience with these boxes?

EDIT: I forgot the most important question of them all: (4) is there a more convenient way to do a w/d/w rig?
    Last edited by Sirion; 02-28-2017, 02:02 AM.

Re: The convenient wet/dry/wet rig and the Suhr ISO Line Out

Can you put an A+B box on the effects send, have A go to your effects rack and B-dry go back to the amp effects return? (Not sure what you do to the tone by effectively jumpering the effects loop like that.)

Comment

That could be done, too, I suppose. I don't know what it would do to the tone, but at least it would be consistent from amp to amp (given that every amp has an fx loop, which I would guess they do these days). I don't know if there is reason to prefer one solution over the other; any knowledgeable folks around?

Comment

As was mentioned in your other thread, you're better off going wet / dry with mono effects unless you're running your own PA and are prepared for the stereo signal. 95% of the smaller venues I've played in or seen shows at were running a mono PA mix where the w/d/w rig wouldn't work so well.

You could use the Suhr line out box, or you could mic your wet cab and use a small mixer for your effects. You could then send the mixer's output to FOH / monitors and not have to carry any extra speakers if you don't want to. If you decide to carry additional speakers, you'd want PA speakers with a SS power amp to avoid additional guitar speaker coloration.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I actually own & use a Suhr ISO Line Out box; have for years. Yes, it's true.

The Suhr ISO Line Out is designed to tap the speaker level signal from your amp and drop it down to instrument level.

It's not expressly designed to act as an FX loop, but you can certainly use it that way.

Here's what I would do (and have done) for a w/d/w rig using the ISO Line Out:

amp
          | (speaker out jack)
          ISO Box (speaker thru in/out) -> speaker (dry tone)
          | (line out)
          FX that has two outputs (stereo chorus, delay, reverb, etc)
          ||
          power amp x2 (could even be a pair of EHX .44 Magnums)
          ||
          speaker x2 (wet tone L & R)

Comment

Yeah, that sounds pretty much what I was thinking of. How do you think it works tone-wise compared to a regular effects loop? What kind of power amp do you use for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              Yeah, that sounds pretty much what I was thinking of. How do you think it works tone-wise compared to a regular effects loop? What kind of power amp do you use for it?
              I haven't had an amp with an effects loop in decades, so couldn't tell ya.

For power amp, I use either my '67 Fender Deluxe, ADA B200S (+ speakers) or when gigging, my EHX .44 Caliber (cuz it's stompbox size) + 1x12 speaker.

Comment

I should rephrase my response about the difference between using this line out device and a regular amp FX loop:

There is a difference...

Using this line out (and sending to FX) is the same as adding FX at the board (studio console): post-powertube FX.

Using a regular amp FX loop: pre-powertube FX.

So, if those powertubes are adding their own distortion (which they do), that coloration (not to mention any coloration from tube-powered FX loop) gets thrown into the mix before the signal hits the speaker.

Post-powertube, no coloration (as above).

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  Tonewise I think a wet/dry rig sounds a lot more clear and hifi than an amp's effects loop. The few times I tried it, I thought it made my reverb and delay sound like David Gilmour. I typically used a mic'd cab & small mixer instead of a DI (tried both and liked the mic better) and always used a SS power amp typically with PA speakers.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                  X