Boost or OD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost or OD?

What I want to do is get more use of the crunch (blue) channel on my EVH 5153. I want to keep the amp again somewhat low for cleans with a good bit of grit thrown into the mix, but then switch to full blown. Tried using my buddy's OD on the clean (green) channel and that was pretty good, but mean doing the toe-tap-tango whenever going between channels.

So should I go with a clean boost or should I get an OD pedal? Ideally, I'd like to just really hit the tubes hard rather than relying too much on the pedal circuit.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Boost or OD?

Of all the things in a guitar signal path, a pedal is probably the least expensive. I'd just snag a couple or three, (even used), and see what works for you. The journey is half the fun.

Comment

A few things to think about...

•The cleaner the amp, the more a boost will raise volume, and the more an amp is distorting, the more a pedal will just make it distort more.
      •Overdrives can be used to contribute more volume, clipping/gain and EQ. (A lot of those that use an OD with a distorting amp use the gain low and volume high to push a little more signal and add focus to the midrange/reduce the bass.)
      •Remember the tried and true way guitarists used to get a clean tone... roll the volume back on the guitar. You might be able to set the Blue channel for the hotter tone you want then roll back to get the mid gain tone. Switch to green when you need true clean.

Just some perspective. It's always great to have a clean boost and an overdrive on hand to get some different tones too.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        •Remember the tried and true way guitarists used to get a clean tone... roll the volume back on the guitar. You might be able to set the Blue channel for the hotter tone you want then roll back to get the mid gain tone. Switch to green when you need true clean.
        This.

Comment

I'd think a clean boost would do it. I use a Pickup Booster. The Killing Floor is also a boost, but has a little gain in there, too. It isn't really an overdrive pedal in the traditional sense.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check out the Keeley Time Machine Boost, it can kick the front end of a tube amp right where it hurts.

Comment

Found the following perdals for a good price:

Fulltone Catalyst
              TC Mojomojo
              MXR Classic OD (same as GT-OD) with the ZW swith mod

Anybody got any experince? Recommend or no?
              1973 Aria 551
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Found the following perdals for a good price:

Fulltone Catalyst
                TC Mojomojo
                MXR Classic OD (same as GT-OD) with the ZW swith mod

Anybody got any experince? Recommend or no?
                The TC Mojo is quite amp like/touch sensitive and you have EQ control. It worked well for me first in the chain as boost/light od.

The MXR afaik is a tubescreamer, so it's mids heavy. Not saying it's bad, but it will sound different from your amp. Whether you like that or not, it's up to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got the Classic OD. It does have a kinda Boss SD-1 with some Tube Screamer thrown in flavor to it with some added grind and grit. It's a cool pedal, it is less mid-focused than a Tube Screamer, but it definitely imparts its own color to the sound.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I briefly used my Suhr Koko Boost (reloaded) on the blue channel. OMG. Set the gain low, and the Koko on the green setting, and even with mild boost took the Blue into completely melt your face of territory. I don't need this with the 5153, and I use the Koko with my Friedman, but I think it will do the job for you.

Comment

I realised I could create a custom setup in my Flashback to use it only as a 24 db boost, so I tried that today. It made things louder, but not much more than that. Tried it at home through my USB interface, amp sim and hifi speakers and then it clearly increased "amp" saturation. So not sure why it isn't affecting my real amp the same way. Headroom, maybe?
                      Last edited by Coma; 03-11-2017, 01:09 PM.
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
                      X