Doom/Stoner/Sludge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom/Stoner/Sludge

Tonally Im looking for a sound similar to Black Woods (Landscapes album), The Devil and the almighty Blues, The Spacelords (Liquid Sun album), Stoned Jesus (Seven Thunders Roar album), Haunted, Electric Octopus, etc... etc...
    Big Punchy low end, some ambient stuff for haunting cleans.

Still sorting out an amp but will be running a clean pallet to color with pedals, lowish output humbuckers. Need a good combo of Fuzz/drive/boost (not a big Muff or fuzz face guy, looking to develop my own tone not just cookie cutter what everyone else has used), a good delay or vibe/other stuff for ambient, and any other suggestions you guys have.

budget wise be reasonable Id prefer to not spend over $200 on any given pedal closer to $100 a pop would be great but give me options from your experience ill continue my research and budgeting from there!

Re: Doom/Stoner/Sludge

I haven't listened to any of those bands, but here's some suggestions;

Boss FZ-2 (Electric Wizard in a box)
    EQD Hoof (Muff-ish with more definition and punch)
    EQD Reaper (Tonebender-ish)
    EQD Tenticle (adds an octave fuzz effect to any fuzz/distortion)
    EQD Hoof Reaper (the above pedals three pedals combined into one... totally blows your budget however)

MXR Carbon Copy Delay
    EHX Memory Man Delay

That said, if you don't want to go cookie cutter go old school and use whatever you can get your hands on to define your own sound. I had some nice stuff, but eventually switched to a Dual Rectifier because I felt I'd pigeonholed myself into the stereotypical Orange/Matamp sound.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

EQD Hoof Reaper (the above pedals three pedals combined into one... totally blows your budget however)
      Not necessarily I like variety and layers to my dirt section, If this can be achieved with one or 2 multi-stage units vs having a handful of others Im all for forking over a bit more cause it evens out or actually winds up a bit cheaper. thanks for the Insights!

Comment

Check out the Coven:

Comment

Find yourself a Tweak Fuzz and a Vapor Trail. The Vapor Trail has an insert jack for really trippy sounds, too. The Tweak Fuzz is discontinued, but it is great for low-fi, gritty doomy sounds that doesn't sound like the other fuzz pedals out there.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Black Arts Toneworks is devoted to the very tones you seek. Check out all their different fuzzes and overdrives - many different flavors.

I have their Black Sheep fuzz, which is just a very good and flexible pedal. In addition to the amount of fuzz, you can also select from 4 different types of fuzz, from light to saturated. This is not one of those exotic, can-go-to-outer-space fuzzes. It's just powerful and usable.

The EQD Hoof is a very, very flexible pedal, with many options for dialing in different types of tones.

There are so many great boutique fuzz choices out there, so I would just dive in and start exploring. You're bound to find something that works with your gear.

Comment

Haunt fuzz from Old Blood. Way out there and pretty unique.

Comment

Don't go naming the specific genre and list a bunch of bands then say you want a unique sound... hahaha. Try a normal Big Muff if you're on a budget... there's a reason everybody uses one. A Big Muff and a Carbon Copy will do basically everything you want, but so will tons of other things. Try going to a store and listening to a bunch of pedals. Rat, Muff, DS-1, OCD and Tubescreamer are staples, and almost everything else is a tweaked version of those.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  Don't go naming the specific genre and list a bunch of bands then say you want a unique sound... hahaha.
                  The purpose of naming was to hit a ballpark, this genre in general is extremely diverse Im just narrowing my vission away from the ridiculously heavy and crazy spacey sounds (enough pedals on those boards to launch the space shuttle lol)

Comment

I'm just effin with ya man realtalk, those pedalboards get big because nobody stops buying pedals. Take your budget to your nearest biggest store and test **** out until you find what you want, and save your pennies and dimes for when you want that different dirt or trippier modulator.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                      I'm just effin with ya man realtalk, those pedalboards get big because nobody stops buying pedals. Take your budget to your nearest biggest store and test **** out until you find what you want, and save your pennies and dimes for when you want that different dirt or trippier modulator.
                      Right on brother!

Comment

Working...
                      X