banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best value in an all in one floor board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best value in an all in one floor board?

Thinking about going all programmed:

Guitar > Boss/Line6/whatever > Crate Powerblock > cab

What is the best value in a programmable floorboard?

Boss GT100 is the latest I think, but what about the 6, 8, 10, etc....

Line6 had the Floor XT. Others?

Not rolling out Vox. Lots of Marshall goodness in there...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Best value in an all in one floor board?

Are you using the Powerblock as just a power amp through the fx loop return or are you going into the front end?

It's more than the GT-100, but if you are going to use it for amp models and effects, the Amplifire 12 looks great, and it's introductory price is $799 - http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-12/

I have a GT-100 that I like, I thought I was in love for a while, but I think it is just serious like. It's good, but if I had the $ and was playing more, I would be looking at Amplifire, Fractal AX8, or Line 6 Helix.

If you are looking for something for effects to go into the front end of the Crate, then the GT-100 would probably work great for you. It does have some decent models and you can get some good sounds out of it if you spend some time programming.

FWIW, you might consider getting one of the new Mooer pedal preamps and putting it on your mini board, those look pretty cool and it would take up less space than a GT and probably sound as good or better as long as you can handle just having a "single" 2 channel amp.

Comment

I want to use the crate loop entirely, just using the Crate to power a regular Cab.

Comment

Ace if ya want to spend the least amount of time tweaking & without deep editing parameters but still have easy to use & decent sounding unit then the digitech RP1000 would work the best for ya. Otherwise I'd pick L6 HD500 or GT100 for an all in one unit to poweramp +cab option on budget.

Never had an atomic amplifire unit so not sure how programmable they are, probably good enough, if you have the budget then go for the new black one that came out, the older red one could work but it has less footswitches to be useful live as a all in one unit.

Comment

Forgot about the RP1000, I used one of those when they first came out, IIRC, the amp sims may be better than the GT-100. The Zoom G5n is another one that may be worth looking at.

I haven't tried any of the Line 6 ones, so can't comment on them.

All of these mid-level ones seem to have strengths and weaknesses and you have to figure out which ones you want to deal with. That's why I threw in the Amplifire, it gets great reviews and has an impressive artist list, and the introductory price makes is a great deal compared to the Helix and Fractal units that it seems to be more on par with.

Comment

To me, the zoom g5 sounds more like the real deal than anything line 6, digitech, vox, or boss has made. Swap that tube in there with a good one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Might want to wait a minth for the Headrush eleven floorboard...at $999 it looks to give fractal and helix serious competition if you buy the "HD" upgrade claim about the eleven presets. The interface is arguably better than the competition.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Well, the best sounding one I've heard is the Fractal AX8. It can be as deep as you want it to be, but it is certainly all-in-one. And it is super-realistic. It is miles away from it's closest competitor, and sounds amazing direct into the board or into in-ears.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's a great deal on the Nova, it has great effects, but doesn't do amp modeling which I think is a requirement for Ace(?).

Comment

I have the Digitech GNX3000
                      you can get a used GNX4 for around $100
                      it is the predecessor of the RP Series From Digitech

RP500 or 1000 would do the trick
                      if you have a powered speaker that might be better than the Crate

I like mine

I recently bought a Behringer X-Air mixer that has a nice generic amp model that I have been running into
                      sounds good to me, responds to OD like my tube amps do

I have the GNX plugged into it as well, but just use the drum loops for jamming
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        That's a great deal on the Nova, it has great effects, but doesn't do amp modeling which I think is a requirement for Ace(?).
                        10-4.

Comment

Yeah - need amp models.

Comment

Zoom MS50G has an amp modeler https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/mult...p-guitar-pedal

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, the best sounding one I've heard is the Fractal AX8. It can be as deep as you want it to be, but it is certainly all-in-one. And it is super-realistic. It is miles away from it's closest competitor, and sounds amazing direct into the board or into in-ears.
                              I don't need realistic. looking for slick produced sounding.

And is the Fractal miles away in price too?

Comment

Working...
                              X