Power supplies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supplies?

Building my first pedal board and need advice in decision for the power supply. Here is a list of pedals:
    -Tuner
    -Wah
    -Volume
    -eq
    -Phaser
    -Flanger
    -Delay
    -Reverb
    -Chorus
    -Looper

So that's 2 needing 18v and the rest at 9v what do you recommend? Eyeing the mxr power block right now.
    Trying to keep price down but don't want crap.

Appreciated!
    Last edited by Jigsisme; 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM.
    Guitars:
    2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
    Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
    Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Re: Power supplies?

I think that's your best bet with the two 18v pedals.
    Go Packers!

Comment

The other one I was thinking is the Dunlop ISO Brick.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Voodoo lab or one of the T-Rex ones, for the T-Rex I think you can get a link cable to power an 18v pedal off one or two outputs.

Comment

Wow, a lot of pedals. It will be heavy, especially if you need a few power supplies for all of that. The power supply will likely be the price of a pedal for all of those.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The TrueTone CS12 will power everything with one supply. $179 definitely is as much as a single pedal, but it beats the $250 for the Voodoo Lab Mondo.
            Go Packers!

Comment

I've had great experience with the MXR/ Dunlop stuff. so +1 to that
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                The TrueTone CS12 will power everything with one supply. $179 definitely is as much as a single pedal, but it beats the $250 for the Voodoo Lab Mondo.
                I second the One Spot Pro CS-12. I just got a CS-7 for my rig. Even that could probably power all those pedals, but you'd need a daisy chain of 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5798070

Comment

I would recommend the MXR M238 Iso Brick. 2A output across an array of voltage options, some variable between 9v and 15v, a bunch of 18v outputs. Great little brick. I power my whole board with one and absolutely no noise problems

Don't confuse it with the M237 Power Brick which is more or less the same as the Dunlop DC Brick. These are effectively Daisy Chains in a box and you'd sooner be better off just buying a cheap daisy chain PSU. Though the M237 is generally a little better build than the Dunlop offering and certainly the £40 Chinese jobbies on Amazon, I found significant problems using these daisy chain in a box supplies with high gain amps and running pedals both in front of the amplifier and in the FX loop using the same supply. It's more tolerable if you separate then, e.g. get two cheap supplies and power your pre amplifier effects using one and the fx loop effects off another. But to be honest that's a lot more board real estate and a lot more BS to put up with.

Overall for the money, the M238 has me every time. I've had Voodoo Labs gear and Gigrig stuff before. While they are great and you do notice where the extra money went, to me the M238 is a great swiss army knife. I have three separate pedal boards for different projects/amps/bands and the M238 currently powers two of them. My old Voodoo Labs still lives on my final board but there's a lot going on on that board and the Voodoo Labs currently still works so no need to change it.

The ONLY criticism I have with the M238 is the wall-wart power supply for the power supply. As in the thing what you plug into the wall. I'd have preferred if they had brought all that into the unit and made it a little bigger and kept the connector as a standard IEC C16 connector. I would say the Voodoo Labs powered board is a little tidier overall given that one simple change. But given what the M238 will cost you, it's a really small thing. I just added a few washers to the feet on my pedal train so I could angle the plug a little better and tie it in place. A little minor issue to resolve and not really all that big a deal.

But yes. For my $0.02, the M238 should be the absolute cheapest PSU anybody should consider. Especially seeing as I see a Wah on that list too!

Comment

How about Cioks ?

They're hated because of the one side RCA connection, but on my local scene every professional use them.

'Schizophrenic' model seems to fit your expectations.

I used to own DC10, but now I upgraded to CIOKOLATE model. It's the highest mountain you can cilmb on.

MXR and Dunlops power supplies are overpriced.
                    Need of FUZZ ?
                    Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
                      How about Cioks ?

They're hated because of the one side RCA connection, but on my local scene every professional use them.

'Schizophrenic' model seems to fit your expectations.

I used to own DC10, but now I upgraded to CIOKOLATE model. It's the highest mountain you can cilmb on.
                      No it not.

CIOKS is also a good company. I really like that he admits some of his are toroidal and some are simply switched supplies. I'm still partial to Voodoo Lab, but am probably going to try a DC-5 for my mini board.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Truetone 1 Spot Pro. It's switching but it's outputs are isolated and it's dead quiet. http://truetone.com/power-supplies/1...spot-pro-cs12/

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          The other one I was thinking is the Dunlop ISO Brick.
                          I just got one and I'm happy I did. Small footprint, flexible, easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate all the suggestions. Probably going to do the iso-brick but still looking.
                            Guitars:
                            2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
                            Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
                            Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Originally posted by Jigsisme View Post
                              Appreciate all the suggestions. Probably going to do the iso-brick but still looking.
                              Make sure you pick up the Iso and not the DC brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X