Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supplies?

Originally posted by Jigsisme View Post
    Appreciate all the suggestions. Probably going to do the iso-brick but still looking.
    It's the M238 Iso-Brick you want there! Not the M237 DC Brick!

Someone said MXRs are overpriced and I really disagree... They're a great bang for the buck. I did forget I have a Ciokolate before which I use on my home test-out rig and it's a great PSU. But for the sheer footprint, wealth of features and decent 2A supply, the M238 wins for me hands down. There are plenty similar units of course and I would stress I don't work for MXR or are endorsed or anything. I just really like that little PSU.

Comment

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GMP01/...l-power-supply

This is what I have on my main board. 8x 9v outputs and 2x 18v outputs. Depending on how many high-current pedals you have, it may be worth a look.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        No it not.

CIOKS is also a good company. I really like that he admits some of his are toroidal and some are simply switched supplies. I'm still partial to Voodoo Lab, but am probably going to try a DC-5 for my mini board.
        Wow! I hadn't seen that! Every pedalboard should come with one of those built-in!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would NOT recommend the mxr IsoBrick, if you are unlucky & get a bad unit then you are going to fry one or two pedals. There was a bass forum that had internal pics of it & stuff to read about that was worthwhile to not consider it, unfortunately it good shutdown some time ago. From bent knobs to sparking at some outlets & the adjustable outlet giving wrong readings, its had issues. You are better off with the CAE MC403, its well made but check the max amp ratings on it if it it will suit your pedals.

Your best bet is Voodoo Labs stuff, Cioks stuff, Truetone iso units or Trex chameleon, reliable & well featured.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            I would NOT recommend the mxr IsoBrick, if you are unlucky & get a bad unit then you are going to fry one or two pedals. There was a bass forum that had internal pics of it & stuff to read about that was worthwhile to not consider it, unfortunately it good shutdown some time ago. From bent knobs to sparking at some outlets & the adjustable outlet giving wrong readings, its had issues. You are better off with the CAE MC403, its well made but check the max amp ratings on it if it it will suit your pedals.

Your best bet is Voodoo Labs stuff, Cioks stuff, Truetone iso units or Trex chameleon, reliable & well featured.
            You might be referring to this thread?

I still went and bought one after reading it but there are a couple horror stories.

I've only been using it at home since I got it. I'll be performing tonight with it, let's see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^No not that one, there was another forum with "bass24" something in its name, its shutdown though, cant find catched/archived results on it either.

That one had much longer thread about the Isobrick, with more in depth stuff about its workings. The thing if I remember was the QC is not very good on it, overall build quality was shabbyish too. I'm not sure if it had to do with it being MIC compared to usual mxr pedals, thus the drop in QC on it. The new ones now maybe better but I don't trust it enough with expensive pedals on board. The concept of using a adapter to power that unit & still get isolated power was/is cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Wow! I hadn't seen that! Every pedalboard should come with one of those built-in!
                Ridiculous isn't it?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  ^No not that one, there was another forum with "bass24" something in its name, its shutdown though, cant find catched/archived results on it either.

That one had much longer thread about the Isobrick, with more in depth stuff about its workings. The thing if I remember was the QC is not very good on it, overall build quality was shabbyish too. I'm not sure if it had to do with it being MIC compared to usual mxr pedals, thus the drop in QC on it. The new ones now maybe better but I don't trust it enough with expensive pedals on board. The concept of using a adapter to power that unit & still get isolated power was/is cool though.
                  Well. It survived the first gig so I guess it passed QC

I think there are a couple of things going against it:
                  - re build quality - it's made of aluminum which is robust but light and people think that's not quality compared to heavy duty
                  - you have to be careful with the variable outputs. I sum them up to add up to 24v but I used a voltmeter. The 9v mark is not really on top of the 9v so I'm afraid that may have toasted a few pedals

Comment

RE the MXR Iso Brick... the variable outputs are there to emulate voltage sag or dying battery on the particular effects that can handle them.

Personally I don't actually use them except for one which runs at 15v to run my Lehle Dual AB. Works fine.

While this is the first I've read on any particular horror stories and that really does suck, I've had two for at least a year with no issues other than the wall-wart which can be a little unwieldly and required me to raise my Pedal Trains.

As for build quality,to me it seems like a well made supply.
                    Last edited by jonsick; 05-18-2017, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                      Well. It survived the first gig so I guess it passed QC

I think there are a couple of things going against it:
                      - re build quality - it's made of aluminum which is robust but light and people think that's not quality compared to heavy duty
                      - you have to be careful with the variable outputs. I sum them up to add up to 24v but I used a voltmeter. The 9v mark is not really on top of the 9v so I'm afraid that may have toasted a few pedals

Thats good for you. Me I would need more than one gig for something to be QC approved by myself in my rig though

Regarding weight: it does not use a conventional transformer like earlier power supplies which used a IEC connector & not an adapter . That keeps the weight down significantly on it. Aluminium is fine, considering most people keep the supplies under the board & the kinda of impact needed to bend aluminium closures, it should survive most hits on the body.

The adjustable outlets could be something along switch mode function type, so perhaps the voltage drops in value once something starts drawing current from them.

Comment

Originally posted by jonsick View Post
                        RE the MXR Iso Brick... the variable outputs are there to emulate voltage sag or dying battery on the particular effects that can handle them.

Personally I don't actually use them except for one which runs at 15v to run my Lehle Dual AB. Works fine.

While this is the first I've read on any particular horror stories and that really does suck, I've had two for at least a year with no issues other than the wall-wart which can be a little unwieldly and required me to raise my Pedal Trains.

As for build quality,to me it seems like a well made supply.
                        Update: I've now started having major issues with my M238 in the exact same way as stated in post 19... I have four fried pedals and am currently waiting for a response from either MXR or Westside Distribution, the UK distributor.

I'll happily update with whatever comes back.

Comment

Update: I've now started having major issues with my M238 in the exact same way as stated in post 19... I have four fried pedals and am currently waiting for a response from either MXR or Westside Distribution, the UK distributor.

Wow. That sucks. Back when they were released, I came across that thread on the other forum that was critical of the ISO Brick. I'm glad I never bought one, I was thinking about it. I went with a Truetone One Spot Pro which was also fairly new at the time. I don't play out anymore but haven't had any issues with the supply at all at home and the occasional jam with friends. Definitely not a test of gig worthiness but it's powered on quite a bit, even if just to power a tuner. The One Spot Pros have been out a little while now so maybe there are more user reviews for them. I was a bit skeptical that it would be a quiet supply (due to the switching tech.) but each outlet is fully isolated and it really is every bit as quiet as the Voodoo labs (and transformer based DIY) I have used in the past.

I hope they take care of your fried pedals. Sorry to hear about that.
                          Last edited by Darg1911; 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

That sucks. However don't let this experience cause you to shy away from mxr pedals.

The truetone onespot pros are probably one of the most reliable in the market. They have R.G. Keen working with them​, so I would highly recommend these units.

Comment

Really sorry to hear. I haven't had any issues with mine but I feel like I'm gambling now.

Comment

Bille, I would say you are gambling... I guess it's not an issue until it happens haha. That's how I feel now. Derp.

I wouldn't mind if the PSU itself popped, but so far I now have a dead Boss TU-2, an SiB Cuda, a Way Huge Blue Hippo and a J-Rockett Boing... That to me isn't acceptable. I hope MXR does make things happen the right way. I would at least expect them to allow me to refund on the M238 as I'm just not faithful on it now and fix my Blue Hippo somehow. The SiB and J-Rockett I guess I'll have to either foot the bill for new ones or pay to have them looked at if I can't fix myself. The Boss tuner is about 15 years old so I can't reasonably expect much. It's still a pain in the arse though.

I'm actually seriously considering just getting a multi-fx box and going 4CM behind this incident. Mainly as £300 on a Boss multi vs probably double that to replace everything

It is the first time I have ever had an issue with MXR gear. But it's quite catastrophic and it appears that mine isn't the first failure of this ilk.

Comment

Working...
                                X