Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Copy Bright?

Anyone use this pedal?

I have the original Carbon Copy on my board; run it through the efx loop on my Mesa amps. The original does seem a little dark.

I've been thinking about adding a second delay to my board, and I have several kicking around to choose from. The DD-3 seems a little too bright and clinical, but I've also got a DD-20 and a Line 6 Echo Park. I like the Echo Park, but can't seem to get rid of the clock noise.

The Carbon Copy Bright looks like it might fit nicely in between the darker Original CC and my other digital delays. Would running both the CC and CCB be a good idea?

(One downside might be is that I often think it would be nice to have tap tempo on at least one of my delays.)

Tell me about the Carbon Copy Bright.

TIA.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Re: Carbon Copy Bright?

Does the Echo Park run on an isolated power supply? When I isolated it, the noise as reduced (not eliminated).

I've not played the Bright, I wonder if it will give you enough contrast to the standard one.

Does the DD-20 not do what you want?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You mention your DD-3 being bright and clinical, but how old is it?

The DD-2 and first revision DD-3 (MIJ until roughly 1990) use the same chip as the Roland SDE 3000 and have a much warmer sound due to their lousy by today's standards 12-bit conversion. IMO they're the best of both worlds as you get a bit of high end roll off, but the repeats don't turn into mush like they can with an analog delay. DD-2s have a bit of rarity / collector value and typically sell for $120-150. Better yet, MIJ DD-3s are still pretty easily available for less than $100; I paid $65 for mine two years ago.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
        Would running both the CC and CCB be a good idea?
        Yes!. Don't have these but a darker delay for repeats(they sound brighter when short) & a brighter longer delay work out nicely. I find the CC too dark though & best for cleaner sounds.

Don't forget the Vapor Trail, if it were available near me I'd replace my ehx memory boy with it.

Comment

Yeah, I love the function of the CC, but it is dark.. I run a CC and a DL8 on my board.. I struggle with the CC. I LOVE the effect, but. Been thinking of replacing it with a Vapor Trail or the TC Corona. Hear lots of good on both.. Will be watching this thread too..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Does the Echo Park run on an isolated power supply? When I isolated it, the noise as reduced (not eliminated).

I've not played the Bright, I wonder if it will give you enough contrast to the standard one.

Does the DD-20 not do what you want?
            The DD-20...only use it a few times at home, but happy with the tones. Lot of depth to it, which I haven't really explored. It is BIG, which is the main reason it's not on the board.

I think you mentioned the idea of using a separate power supply for the Line 6 Echo Park a while back. I picked up a 1-Spot to try with it...just haven't hooked it up yet to try it. Thanks.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              You mention your DD-3 being bright and clinical, but how old is it?

The DD-2 and first revision DD-3 (MIJ until roughly 1990) use the same chip as the Roland SDE 3000 and have a much warmer sound due to their lousy by today's standards 12-bit conversion. IMO they're the best of both worlds as you get a bit of high end roll off, but the repeats don't turn into mush like they can with an analog delay. DD-2s have a bit of rarity / collector value and typically sell for $120-150. Better yet, MIJ DD-3s are still pretty easily available for less than $100; I paid $65 for mine two years ago.
              I have two DD-3s. One has a pink label, it's older and beat to heck. Bought it used for almost nothing. The other one is just a couple of years old. I bought one from a guy and it started smoking the first time I used it. (He knew it was bad.) After much pondering (and fantasizing about where to bury him, lol), I sent it back to Boss for repair. It was truly toast, so they offered me a new one at cost, and I took it. I keep one in a bag that I take to jams, for when I don't want to take my pedalboard. Never run them side-by-side, but they seem pretty close.

Wish I'd invested in some of those vintage pedals when they were new! I just saw an ad for a vintage Mutron Bi-Phase for over $1,000.00! And I'd like to have back the ones I had that were stolen...two Fender Blenders, a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, a DOD 250 OD and a DOD Chorus (465?), an original Vox Wah, an original script Phase 100, a first issue Big Muff Pi, and a Mutron Phasor, et.al., ...all from back when I was young in the '70s. Hate thieves.

Bill
              Last edited by Boogie Bill; 03-18-2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Ah, I like the Vapor Trail a lot more. You have those mod controls outside, that insert jack, and input/output on the top. It asso tends to sit in the mix better.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                  I have two DD-3s. One has a pink label, it's older and beat to heck. Bought it used for almost nothing. The other one is just a couple of years old. I bought one from a guy and it started smoking the first time I used it. (He knew it was bad.) After much pondering (and fantasizing about where to bury him, lol), I sent it back to Boss for repair. It was truly toast, so they offered me a new one at cost, and I took it. I keep one in a bag that I take to jams, for when I don't want to take my pedalboard. Never run them side-by-side, but they seem pretty close.Bill
                  All of the MIJ DD-3s have a blue label. I don't know the exact year, but the pink labels started in the early to mid 90s IIRC. I don't know for sure if the pink label and grey label have the same circuit, but it's definitely not the same as the blue label and DD-2. Tone-wise I agree with you; the new style DD-3 is really nothing special in the realm of digital delays. Ironically enough the high cut mod that Keeley used to do to new DD-3s makes them sound exactly like an old MIJ DD-3 or DD-2.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Carbon copy into a loop is not a good idea, IME/IMO..it gets lost. It sounds much better into the front of an amp, and that is why they brought out the bright-initially a limited production but now regular production. They are quite different. PGS, IIRC, has a apples to apples comparison if you haven't looked into it yet.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm getting the way huge supa puss when i can. Analog with taptempo.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you're looking for something brighter but still very natural, warm and 'fuzzy' (in the sense that analog delays, including tape delays distort your signal in the repeats) then check out the Dunlop Echoplex. I know it's simulating a tape delay, but I've always found that the Carbon Copy has a certain resonance in the midrange that make it much closer to a tape sound than most analog delays, even in spite of the darkness of the repeats, and the Bright is often touted as the delay to bridge the gap between tape and analog sounds, though I found that it went into oscillation far too early and the headroom was too low, both issues which the Echoplex fix, with the added bonus of being able to attach a tap tempo to it.
                        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                        Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
                        X