banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradshaw/Cornish/[insert top-of-the-line rack builder here], who has owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradshaw/Cornish/[insert top-of-the-line rack builder here], who has owned?

I'm not getting one, but I might be trying to put together a slightly less ambitious rig in the spirit of the giants of pro rig design, and I would have been curious to hear if there are anybody here who has ever shelved out a significant amount of money to have a professional build a rack rig for you. If so, why did you do it? how did it sound compared to an 'amateur' rig? what did it end up costing? were the results, all things considered, satisfactory? did you discover any secret 'tricks of the trade'? (or anything else that is fun, really.)

Re: Bradshaw/Cornish/[insert top-of-the-line rack builder here], who has owned?

I am thinking that these days, it is a lot less compelling to do so. Back 30 years or more ago, a out of the switching & routing had to be custom designed, and there was no such thing as pro sounding, well designed multi-effects. Now we have things like Fractal and Kemper, and many touring artists bringing a lot less gear with them (it cost $$ and space to carry a big rack). So, unless it is a retro/nostalgia thing, or some rock star is having a fire sale on his/her old gear, there is no compelling reason to get anything like that today.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is partially true, I suppose. On the other hand the Kemper/Fractal/Helix could still be the heart of a larger rig, as they have done a lot to rekindle the interest in rack units, which seemed dormant a decade ago.

It would be fun to see ancient rigs here too, of course.

Comment

I found a few galleries of Cornish rigs online...I remember Trevor Rabin's massive Cornish rig from the 9012Live video that was played on MTV a lot back in the 80s. I am sure his rigs used very expensive relays and custom fabrications. He was building these by hand...very cool, if not industrial-looking work.

Comment

being close to LA I'll see some interesting rack stuff pop up on CL every now and then. rather than have one built, I'd just stalk that for awhile and pick up some retired musician's rack parts.

Comment

It is amazing to me how much the price has fallen on rack effects, except for a few pieces. Back in the 80s they charged whatever they wanted for them.

Comment

I keep going back to the Unearth show I saw a few months ago. Their guitarist Ken Susi's rig was:

Evertune-equipped guitar
              Kemper head
              Cab

I watched him set up and break down. Total time *for both* was maybe 5 minutes.

Guitar was in tune from the time it came out of the case to when it went back in. No stopping to tune during the set, not once.

Set ends. Turn Kemper off, put it in a rolling airline-style luggage case, and go.

Ken told me he stopped hiring roadies - now I see why. With the Kemper, you get stage-ready sound immediately. No need for a rack when all that processing capability now fits in a 11.73 lb. head.

Comment

I had one from 93 - 96 when they were more in style. I assembled it myself, and took it to my buddy at the Mesa Hollywood store a couple times when I'd run into MIDI mapping problems, ground hum, or when the Mesa Abacus foot controller had problems.

One thing I learned is that your input jack is the achilles heel because it's more fragile than ones on an amp. I installed a metal jack on a blank panel and patched it to the JMP-1.

At big shows, I was running two Marshall 412's in stereo off a JMP-1/Hush II/Quadraverb/Mesa 295. It sounded massive. I don't miss moving it around.
                I'm really lucky I don't have back problems, because that 12 spc. loaded shock mounted rack was so awkward to lift. I lifted it into a truck hundreds of times by myself. Then again, look what drummers go through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170202_194919.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	5798108
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That is awesome, GJ!

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  It is amazing to me how much the price has fallen on rack effects, except for a few pieces. Back in the 80s they charged whatever they wanted for them.
                  Yes, and this counts even for effects units that are relatively new on the market. I'm not too keen on the new modellers JUST yet (in a hardware generation or two I will probably go that route), but for now setting up a rack rig is so much fun, and cheaper than it has ever been.

Comment

XSSIVE has had a few cool setups. Randomonium as well.

For S&Gs I had a bug to build a rack with an MP-1, JMP-1 and TriAxis feeding a Marshall power amp with an Alesis and a drawer/switcher with a few boosts. Then I realized that would still cost a ton of dough and I already have the tones in my Mesa, Splawn and Fender amps, and more pedals than I can shake a stick at.... so I decided to go pedalboard with switcher. Unfortunately it's still a work in progrsss a few months later.
                    Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-22-2017, 10:14 PM.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There's just not the need for it anymore. Some people (myself included) can still find there they need a few other options such as a fuzz box or something, but digital rigs get us so close without having to have a whole rack of gear. It's a lot different now than it was 30+ years ago.
                      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Fair enough, if one runs mono rigs and/or like the sounds and portability of the latest generations of modellers. I believe racks have a place still, but respect that many will disagree.

That being said, I was really hoping to see some more bodacious rigs of yesteryears in this thread!

Comment

Here's what replaced it. I wouldn't have if it didn't sound even better.

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	5798111

Name:	P1010098.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	5798112
                          Or something from the wall of tonal delight.
                          Egnater Vengeance is gone. Bad Cat Cougar 50 replaced it.

Name:	P1010289_zpskx8vhqmz.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	5798113
                          08 Tiny Terror
                          84 4103
                          86 2204
                          87 2550
                          95 XTC #32
                          01 Vox AD60VTH #68 .....$350 for sale right now.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-23-2017, 01:03 AM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                            Fair enough, if one runs mono rigs and/or like the sounds and portability of the latest generations of modellers. I believe racks have a place still, but respect that many will disagree.

That being said, I was really hoping to see some more bodacious rigs of yesteryears in this thread!
                            Definitely not a yesteryear rig cause I am using this right now (minus the TC M350 now replaced with a Steinberg UR824):

Comment

Really cool! Would you indulge me with going through the units? I can recognize quite a few but not all. How do you like the BBE? I might be getting one of them myself, as I run a solid state power amp in my rack, and BBEs have been regarded as something of a secret weapon to spice them up.

Comment

Working...
                              X