banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradshaw/Cornish/[insert top-of-the-line rack builder here], who has owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bradshaw/Cornish/[insert top-of-the-line rack builder here], who has owned?

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    There is one a few years ago from Alesis. It allows EQ settings to be saved.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ale...k-unit.976724/
    Thanks! It looks like it is out of production, but I might be on the lookout for something like this used.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
      On another matter: Are there still any programmable rack EQs for guitar around? The G-System has a parametric EQ in it, but it would have been interesting to get ones hand a graphic EQ at some point.
      There is a Beringer that is rackmountable and MIDI friendly, but it doesn't have any 1/4" ins so you'd have to bring adapters as well. The only other idea I can think of would be to purchase a cheap rackmount multi effects unit and then just use EQ's from it.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
        I think a lot of people will automatically think that modeling units suck because the "Marshall 800" model in there doesn't sound exactly like what they think an 800 should sound like. I also never look at the models in these units and say "oh that's an 800" rather I say "oh, that's going to sound similar to an 800. I wasn't a huge fan of that, so I think I'll pass and check out a different amp in here." One of my professors at school has made the switch to a digital rig, even for his jazz gigs and he says that approaching digital rigs is the same as approaching something like a coil split and that it doesn't matter if the coil split actually sounds like a true single cool, as long as you can add some more versatility to your sound.

As far as how much I like it, I don't think I'll go back to a purely analog rig. Convenience and consistency do go far for me and if I can dial up some tones that I like, I'm okay with that regardless of whether or not the "AC30" sounds just like Brian May's or not. And I've said before that for as quickly as modeling units have improved, we are seeing Moore's law in action where eventually a digital rig will be able to have the sound and feel of an analog rig.
        Yes, I'm sure we'll get there. I think we'll get to the point where I'll be satisfied with it some time in the 2020s. It doesn't surprise me, really, that a jazz professor has switched. I tried some jazzy setups on the Helix myself, and to my ears they were some of the best sounding in the unit to my ears. Of course it might just be that my ears are less developed with such tones, but I always think modellers have had good clean tones, and the latest patch particularly so.

(Whether versatility for its own sake necessarily is a good thing is another matter, but that is a topic for another day.)
        Last edited by Sirion; 03-28-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
          There is a Beringer that is rackmountable and MIDI friendly, but it doesn't have any 1/4" ins so you'd have to bring adapters as well. The only other idea I can think of would be to purchase a cheap rackmount multi effects unit and then just use EQ's from it.
          Thanks, I saw the Behringer earlier today, actually. I am hestiant to get anything from them, though, especially if one has to jump through proverbial rings to get it to works. I'm too old for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MkIII Renegade View Post
            I remember hearing some reviewer comment on one of the sprawling '70s Yes albums by saying it was "almost perverse how there is NO blues anywhere on the album" LOL. Therein lies the challenge, to create something new or at least different than what is out there at the time. If you create your own lasting style, even better.
            Funny, that is what I loved about Yes.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

(I'm going to buy the first digital modeller that gets a good ADA MP-1 pre-amp patch!)

On another matter: Are there still any programmable rack EQs for guitar around? The G-System has a parametric EQ in it, but it would have been interesting to get ones hand a graphic EQ at some point.
              The AxeFX II has an ADA MP-1 model, but I don't know how good it is. If you're considering used / vintage, look for a TC 1128 midi programmable EQ from the early/mid 90s. They're still pretty easy to find for less than $200.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                The AxeFX II has an ADA MP-1 model, but I don't know how good it is.
                Really? I've seen a ton of requests for it at the Fractal forum, as well as a tonematch on one of the modded versions that sounds nothing like the original, but that's about it. If you can confirm this then I really have to give one a go!

Comment

Really? I've seen a ton of requests for it at the Fractal forum, as well as a tonematch on one of the modded versions that sounds nothing like the original, but that's about it. If you can confirm this then I really have to give one a go!
                  Evidently I was mistaken; there are Kemper profiles for it, but it hasn't been added to the Axe yet. I saw a thread over on the Fractal forum in regards to it being added in an upcoming update however.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                  X