Looking to get new Overdrive pedal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get new Overdrive pedal!

I have played MANY overdrive pedals, but none so far have hit the sweet spot.

My rig consists of
    Mesa 50 Caliber +
    Marshall 2x12 loaded with Eminence Texas Heat / Man O War
    PRS SE loaded with EMG 81/85

I play metal, more along the lines of Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin and Chimaira!

I am looking for something to cut a bit of the low end which all the pedals I have tried do, but I am looking for something to add a little high end sparkle.

What am I looking at? The issue with the pedals I have tried is they tighten it up a little but they don't have much life, it's a sterile sound.
    Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Re: Looking to get new Overdrive pedal!

Driving your clean tone or to add some oomph to an already saturated tone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see 2 choices: to boost a distorted amp, an 805 Overdrive. The extra EQ controls help with some of the problems of a traditional TS pedal. Or the Palladium, if you need an ultimate source of tweakable gain.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

"boosting" a high gain tone
        Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Comment

Hmmmm... it sounds like EQ shaped level boost would be the best option rather than adding another layer of gain.

I've had great success with the Xotic BB MB - it's their BB preamp with an extra mid-boost - pull the gain down a bit, then use level and mid controls together to drive the front end harder. And it has really usable bass and treble controls too.

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	5798160
              Personally I think this thing is the best thing since sliced bread & it should do exactly what you're looking for...

It's basically just a super charged TS-808 but you have a ton of control over the EQ!!!

While on the topic of Wampler pedals, stick the Clarksdale in front of a Triple Wreck & plug them into a slightly broken up amp, you can do all sorts of great things with plenty of leftover gain!!!
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]79255[/ATTACH]
                Personally I think this thing is the best thing since sliced bread & it should do exactly what you're looking for...

It's basically just a super charged TS-808 but you have a ton of control over the EQ!!!

While on the topic of Wampler pedals, stick the Clarksdale in front of a Triple Wreck & plug them into a slightly broken up amp, you can do all sorts of great things with plenty of leftover gain!!!
                I agree. My favorite two tube screamers are the Clarksdale and the Fulldrive. The flexibility of the Clarksdale is just killer though.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Does your .50 Cal+ have the foot-switchable graphic EQ? If it does, first find a workable lead sound with the graphic switched off. Next dial in your rhythm sound with the graphic EQ on. When you're actually playing, set the EQ to 'auto' so that it automatically switches on with the lead channel. Then using a second foot switch, turn the EQ off for leads.

If that won't work Mincer's suggestion of an 805 Overdrive may be a good bet, as would an Xotic RC Booster. Boogies have a ton of gain and tend to be rather compressed, so a BB Preamp probably has more grit than you're looking for.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have a MojoMojo overdrive pedal from T.C.Electronics works for me. If you are able to try one out go for it.
                    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I see 2 choices: to boost a distorted amp, an 805 Overdrive. The extra EQ controls help with some of the problems of a traditional TS pedal. Or the Palladium, if you need an ultimate source of tweakable gain.
                      How do you compare Palladium with H&K Tubeman II or Damage Control Solid Metal?

Comment

You might think about the new J Rockett Steve Stevens pedal too- it's a drive pedal with a 6-band graphic for tone shaping.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by cronnin View Post
                          How do you compare Palladium with H&K Tubeman II or Damage Control Solid Metal?
                          Haven't tried them. Hard to find to try out down here.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I bought a BBE Gus G Green Screamer OD pedal to use as a boost for my Mini Jubilee. It was like $30 used and does everything I wanted it to. Not sure if it will solve your EQ issues but gives a heavy sound for metal (and shred).
                            Last edited by Open lane; 04-11-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

the paladium is a great sounding and feeling pedal. its more modern voiced that what i usually go for but its a very nice pedal with a ton of tone shaping capability

Comment

Working...
                              X