Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm Mute With Fuzz Pedal?

Hey guys,

I picked up a EHX Big Muff a while ago (the one with the tone and wicker switch) and I'm in love with the tone I get from it, but palm muting with this thing really doesn't sound too great, it's more of a "glug glug glug" instead of "chug chug chug", it just sounds really farty and bad. Is there another similar fuzz pedal that can pull off palm muting better than this one can or is it just " its the nature of the beast" kind of a thing? I tried the Rat distortion pedal because it sounds fuzzy for a distortion and it can palm mute a lot better but it definitely has a different sound and between the pedals i definitely prefer the big muff.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Palm Mute With Fuzz Pedal?

What amp do you have? That happens with the tone knob up and the bridge humbucker? I get a pretty chug-ey palm mute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, I should've included my gear in my first post but it slipped my mind lol. I play a Fender Stratocaster with a full-sized JB in the bridge and I'm playing it though a Bugera V22 Infinium. If I turn the tone knob almost all the way up it definitely gets a lot more usable but it's a little too "swarm of angry bees" sounding for my tastes. Generally I turn the tone switch off anyways and just use my Biyang EQ pedal to shape it's tone with more control and I think overall it sounds fuller and more vibrant this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H
        I wouldn't look to any fuzz for a chugging.
        Yeah I was thinking it fuzz and chugging might just not work together lol. I like that sound like when a BOSS DS-1 is cranked and it borderlines fuzz tones but the pedal is a little tinny for me, is there maybe another distortion pedal that can achieve that sound? I thought something like that might be able to pull of chugging a little better.

Comment

The Companion Fuzz has some crazy sounding palm mutes and the Super Fuzz (I'll enquire about which super fuzz exactly and get back to you) has a bit more in common with a heavy distortion than a muff type fuzz which lends to better palm mutes.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H
            I wouldn't look to any fuzz for a chugging.
            Sell the Big Muff, get a Swollen Pickle. That thing is so versatile and you can get great "chug chug chug" sounds than with the Big Muff. The Big Muff is great for bass and looser feeling rock music. For tighter playing, but keeping the fuzz, I cannot recommend the SP.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't ever really look to fuzz for tight rhythm. Of all the dirt pedals I've tried, I just keep coming back to the Fulltone OCD. Set right for the amp, it'll chug with the best of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That said, if you do stay with fuzz - I use the Earthquaker Tone Reaper and it's great - a very usable EQ control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, Muff doesn't chug too well in general, but run a Tube Screamer set for boost into it and see what happens...

Comment

The RAT sounds close enough to fuzz, & it sounds good w/palm muting. The one I had was Keeley-modified to get rid of the floppy bass (similar to the floppy bass of a Muff).
                    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I use a tube screamer clone as a clean boost before my BBE Free Fuzz and it keeps the fuzziness but tightens up the low end
                      sigpic
                      Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                      Dunlop Crybaby
                      MXR Custom Comp
                      GFS Twin Overdrive
                      Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                      Blackstar HT-DISTX
                      Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

The classic Big Muff definitely has a limited number of tricks. I bought mine just for times when I wanted to explore old school and it also does a dead-on impersonation of the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream super-saturated sound with the right tweaks. Definitely wouldn't use it for chugging. I do that straight through the amp or with a MXR 10-band EQ.
                        Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                        Marshall JVM410H
                        Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                        Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                        ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                        Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                        Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                        Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                        Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Boppy View Post
                          Yeah, Muff doesn't chug too well in general, but run a Tube Screamer set for boost into it and see what happens...
                          When I do that, it basically just sounds the same; the Muff just compresses any signal from the TS, so it's just an off switch with the volume at zero, or full fuzz tone with TS volume at anything above 1 .

Much better results running the Tube Screamer after the Muff... But not necessarily for 'chugging.' As for Smashing Pumpkins... Yeah, I have no issue getting the tone with a Muff for the most part (even after having bought "purpose-built" Pumpkin pedals and reading about various mods, I still think most Muffs do it better.
                          Originally posted by King Buzzo
                          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

you need a metal muff
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Fuzz pedals all to varying degrees all compress dynamics. If you can run an all tube full stack with massive 100 watt amps cranked up to ungodly decibels through a 4x12 or 2x 4x12's, you regain some of those lost dynamics. In general, no fuzz pedal is going to give you the 'chugga chugga' of a straight signal into,like, a Recto ( gut punch to the nads)or 6505 ( gut punch to the chest).
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                              X