banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OD to use as a "first stage" gain stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OD to use as a "first stage" gain stage?

For years I've set my rig kinda like this:

Jet City Afterburner OD + Boost pedal -> Egnater Tweaker 15, set for crunch.

Good, but I've grown tired of the "Low-gain crunch" of the Tweaker with the Jet City pedal off,
    to the point where I'm prefering to roll back the volume on the guitar to clean up. So I'm missing a chance there.
    But today I remembered I had a Joyo US Dream stored that could do the Tweaker's crunch instead.

So I went:

Jet City Afterburner OD pedal -> Joyo US Dream -> Egnater Tweaker 15, set clean.

It's an improvement, but I'm not sold with the Joyo. It's not too flexible and it's too high-gain to be doing this job.

What dirt pedal would you recommend for this?
    I'd like:

• Low to mid-gain. I don't like high-gain pedals since they usually ruin dynamics. I'll put an OD before it for extra juice.
    • Great EQ control (3 bands would be excellent)
    • Marshall-flavored. I'm a simple man, not looking for anything exquisite or innovating here.
    • Did I say dynamics? Must clean up very, very well.
    • Hopefully not that expensive, but I could stretch things a bit if it's something amazing.

I'm looking for a solid tonal foundation here, that I can run into any amp and be in my ballpark straight away.
    I used to have a Marshall Jackhammer and it's good, but a bit flat and cold/dead in the mids so I don't wanna do that again.

Tonal references? Metallica, Mastodon, Faith No More, Stone Temple Pilots, King's X, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.
    I'm not looking for a Thrash Metal sound or a modern djent thing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, wrong forum page. Please move to Pedals! Sorry.
    Last edited by Diego; 04-09-2017, 10:38 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: What OD to use as a "first stage" gain stage?

Originally posted by Diego View Post
    For years I've set my rig kinda like this:

Jet City Afterburner OD + Boost pedal -> Egnater Tweaker 15, set for crunch.

Good, but I've grown tired of the "Low-gain crunch" of the Tweaker with the Jet City pedal off,
    to the point where I'm prefering to roll back the volume on the guitar to clean up. So I'm missing a chance there.
    But today I remembered I had a Joyo US Dream stored that could do the Tweaker's crunch instead.

So I went:

Jet City Afterburner OD pedal -> Joyo US Dream -> Egnater Tweaker 15, set clean.

It's an improvement, but I'm not sold with the Joyo. It's not too flexible and it's too high-gain to be doing this job.

What dirt pedal would you recommend for this?
    I'd like:

• Low to mid-gain. I don't like high-gain pedals since they usually ruin dynamics. I'll put an OD in front of it for extra juice.
    • Great EQ control (3 bands would be excellent)
    • Marshall-flavored. I'm a simple man, not looking for anything exquisite or innovating here.
    • Did I say dynamics? Must clean up very, very well.
    • Hopefully not that expensive, but I could stretch things a bit if it's something amazing.

I'm looking for a solid tonal foundation here, that I can run into any amp and be in my ballpark straight away.
    I used to have a Marshall Jackhammer and it's good, but a bit flat and cold/dead in the mids so I don't wanna do that again.

Tonal references? Metallica, Mastodon, Faith No More, Stone Temple Pilots, King's X, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.
    I'm not looking for a Thrash Metal sound or a modern djent thing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, wrong forum page. Please move to Pedals! Sorry.
    Believe it or not, the good old boss sd1 with the volume knob doing most of the pushing works likes a charm for me.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

I really liked my OCD clone for that type of use.

Comment

Also a bogner uberschall pedal is quite good. Not very heavy.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

ZVex Box of Rock since you said Marshall flavored. I would have the Jet City before the ZVex then into the amp, though.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            ZVex Box of Rock since you said Marshall flavored. I would have the Jet City before the ZVex then into the amp, though.
            Exactly how I'd do it. No point having the dirt pedal into the OD. It's the other way.
            That's a great ****ing suggestion actually, and there's a BOR in a used pedal store near me that's been there for at least a year and a half.

Oh man. You got me rolling.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Go for it. It's the pedal i use when i want cranked amp gain but i can't crank my Bassman, and it also works great for boosting a cranked crunchy amp into high gain. I was able to score a Double Rock a couple of years ago and it's still a pedalboard staple for me.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Go for the Palladium. Get your boost and your gain all in one pedal.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

EHX Soul Food. It's what it was designed for.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

What OD to use as a "first stage" gain stage?

Originally posted by nsnate02 View Post
                    EHX Soul Food. It's what it was designed for.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                    Completely agree except on the "Designed" part. . *cough* Klone *cough*

Not plexi-ish but worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So many options for a "Marshall" flavored drive pedal to use into a clean amp.

Off the top of my head:

Catalinbread designs and hand-builds, high quality, industry defining, guitar effects pedals in the U.S.A.

MI Audio MI Effects Super Crunch Box British Distortion Effects Pedal

If you are into DIY, you might also check www.generalguitargadgets.com and look at the BSIAB or the original Guv'nor clone.
                      And there are dozens more out there...

Comment

Not sure if the distortion side would do it for you, but I like the TrueTone Jeckyl and Hyde V3 for what you describe. It's stock configuration is with drive after distortion, which sounds nice, but you can also plug directly into the OD side and use a patch cable to run it into your distortion side.

The distortion is based on a Marshall Shredmaster. The OD is based on their own Open Road... Which, if you can find the original stand alone unit, is a great option for a low to mid gain crunch sound that stacks well with most other pedals. It's not a Marshall-esque sound, really; but it's a very natural, amp-like sound.

Comment

Another vote for the Boss SD1. Nothing fancy, just a well-voiced building block OD that also pushes other pedals (and takes pushing) very well.

There's also simple mod where you clip one component for a bit more openess and upper end if you want it.

Comment

The Boss OD-3 is good too, here's a vid comparing it with the Monte Allums mod to the Bogner Red

Found this vid of a stock one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgIKQTFurs

Comment

BOSS SuperOD set for low Drive and high Output, MXR Dist+ set for medium Output and Gain. Tweak the MXR from there.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X