Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise gate

hi, guys
    i want to add a noise gate pedal to my pedal board, what noise gate pedals do you guys use/recommend

thanks for your help,
    bluesfloyd,

Re: noise gate

I use a BOSS NS-2. I've also used an Alesis compressor/gate rack unit (in a 2-space underneath my pedal board)

Comment

Originally posted by bluesfloyd View Post
      hi, guys
      i want to add a noise gate pedal to my pedal board, what noise gate pedals do you guys use/recommend

thanks for your help,
      bluesfloyd,
      MXR Noise Clamp works well for me, when I use a gate (not so often) - though I did do a slight mod to it to soften the "clamp" - see this thread

There's a thread on about Noise Gate pedals, and I totally hijacked it. So I figured I'd start my own. I, and a few others, like using a noise gate with a send/return loop in my effect chain for non-super-heavy gain sounds. I have a noise cancelling backplate on my Strat, so it's not to get...

I can attest to all of the descriptions of the Noise Clamp in there - not coloring sound, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

MXR Smart Gate in the effects loop of my Peavey Windsor killed any hum I had.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I use an old Boss NF-1 occasionally. It can have smooth slopes like a suppressor or have a choppy, stuttering/sputtering gate effect, depending on how I set the 2 knobs.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I have an ISP decimator 2 currently, I am looking to try out the tc electronics sentry though.

I have used the boss ns2 in the past but felt it tone sucked, at least the way I had it set up.

I have a rocktron hush too, the old 2 button one though, I have heard the later ones weren't as good, I liked it but it took up a lot of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              MXR Smart Gate in the effects loop of my Peavey Windsor killed any hum I had.
              The Smart Gate definitely needs to be in the loop; works much better that way.

It does an amazing job of taming high gain WITHOUT sucking your tone away. I've heard the NS-2 does suck tone, which I can't accept.
              Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
              Marshall JVM410H
              Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
              Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
              Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
              Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
              Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

ISP decimator here as well.
                I have nothing bad to say about it, works flawlessly.
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

ISP Decimator II G-String. The best bar none, I wouldn't even bother with anything else.

Comment

ISP here as well, good kit! Preserves more tone than the others I've tried and fit the bill excellently back when I was running a Metal Zone through my Boogie. A hint of reverb will put back in some of the tone that is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                      ISP Decimator II G-String. The best bar none, I wouldn't even bother with anything else.
                      hi, Jeff5
                      the only problem i have is feedback when i switch overdrive pedals on, i do use delay pedals , so for best results where does the Decimator II G-String go in the chain, does it gate all my pedals or just the overdrives,

thanks for you help,
                      bluesfloyd,

Comment

Hey buddy.

The great thing about that pedal is that it has hook ups that allow it to go in front of the amp and in the chain at the same time. That's the way I use it. So you knock out any noise from pedals in front of your amp, and noise from any gain, etc., in the FX loop/pre-amp.

I actually have the G-String II pedal for my up stairs amp (5150 III 50 watt) and the rack version for my down stairs amp. (JJ 100) The rack version is phenomenal. Neither colors your sound at all as far as I can tell, and they can even compensate for volume rollback for cleans.

Last thing, I had a Decimator I (their first version) and did not like it nearly as much as the II/G-String.

Comment

hi, jeff
                          what do you think about the tc electronics sentry noise gate ????

thanks for your time,
                          bluesfloyd

Comment

I've been using the NS2 for a couple of years now, palying high gain stuff and I've noticed no tone suck whatsoever. I am curious about the TC Sentry though, seems to be a more refined version of the same principle. Might wanna look into that?
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I just got an EHX Silencer

I really dig the three knob control
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X