X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi effects questions

Morning boys.

I've always used individual pedals.

Looking now into maybe getting a "simpler" rig....
    Looking at a multi effect unit like the rp1000 by Digitech or maybe zoom or boss, maybe even pod live?

Questions:
    1. Which ones do NOT have their own noise dampening thing going on? I think of the line6 amps and how they dampen everything without adjustment to it... Such a drain​ on the way i play.
    I guess it would be ok that it has that, as long as its adjustable...

2. I have to have a wah pedal... Which ones are good ... Does the digitech one have the whammy pedal as an option?

3. Which ones can I easily download patches to?

Thanks​ for your input .
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Multi effects questions

I got a Zoom G5 last year and it works pretty easily for all the things you've asked about. It has a couple different noise gates, but only if you put them in the chain. The Z-pedal can certainly be told to control one of the wahs, but it also has the option of left/right movement for controlling other effects as well. A quick internet search will show you places where you can download patches, but I like to do them myself (although they're sometimes pretty handy for getting you going in the right direction). Good-sounding models with lots of choices and easy tweaking. It also has a really cool tube booster (yes, a REAL tube) that's great for solo boosts. I replaced a Line 6 Pod HD400 with it and have found it to be infinitely easier to work with, particularly when actually playing. I typically use it in stomp-box mode.

The only thing that bugs me (and this seems typical for all multi-effect units) is the whole working-with-banks thing. I don't like needing to remember to change patches for different songs just because I want to use a different set of effects. It's workable, but it's best for me to organize the banks ahead of time based on the set list... which can cause me some confusion when we inevitably deviate from it!

I decided that I wanted to be able to use only one bank, so this year I used some tax refund money to buy a pedal board and some other pedals to work with the Zoom and free up its controls for effects.

I added a Source Audio Programmable EQ (not in the photo), a Morley Distortion/Wah/Volume, an ElectroHarminix C9 Organ Machine, and a GFS Twin Overdrive in front of it and a Donner Black Arts Delay after. The Zoom's internal chain starts with a Marshall Guv'nor overdrive, EQ, Phaser, Cry (think talk-box), Tremolo, Flange, Harmonizer, and Chorus. The four main buttons operate the Phaser, Cry, Tremolo, and Flange. The toe button on the Z-Pedal turns the Guv on and off, and I have it set for the Guv's volume to INCREASE as you roll the pedal BACK. The harmonizer and chorus are always on, but the mix defaults to zero until you roll the Z-Pedal left for the harmonizer or right for the chorus to bring it in.

Probably more info than you wanted, but it outlines the ways I've learned to work with multi-effect pedals. One thing's for sure, though... you can get a lot of choices for your money, and it can take up less real estate on your board.

The Zoom G5 has been replaced with the G5n (right after I bought mine of course). It appears to be very similar though, with a couple of nice control tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Re: Multi effects questions

That's great input, thank you.

Comment

Multi-effects have come a long way in recent years. My advice: set your budget, then download the manuals, watch a few demos, and try to get somewhere to try them out. Ignore presets- most factory presets, even in this day and age, are terrible, and companies haven't learned this. Try making a sound from scratch (you read the manual, right?) to test the ergonomics of the operating system. If that process is convoluted, move on.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've used the RP1000 and currently have a GT-100, I think the amp models were better in the Digitech and the effects are maybe better in the Boss, not that there was anything wrong with the Digitech's effects.

To answer your questions:
          1) The noise gates/suppressors are programmable in the RP and GT units, should be in any of the other ones too. Not familiar with the L6 amps, so I'm not sure I have experienced what you are referring to though.
          2) The wah pedals are quite good in both the units I am familiar with, and yes, the RP does have whammy as an option. The others have pitch shifters that you can assign to the exp pedal, so it's basically an option in any of them I am familiar with.
          3) Do some googling, but I know there are lots of downloadable patches for the GT-100, should be websites for any of them.

Depending on your budget, you can probably pick up a used RP1000 or GT-100 for under $300, if you can spend more, I would look into the Line 6 Helix or Helix LT, the Headrush [edalboard, the Atomic Amplifire, or the Fractal AX8, all of those are between $799 - $1500 but the amp models are much better than the midrange ones (like the Boss or Digitech).

Comment

I use the DigiTech Gnx 3000 its similar to the RP1000
            Should come with a pedal
            Mine does

The older ones have bass sims as well
            I now just use mine for the drum loops

But the effects are fine
            Amp models are realistic
            If you can't find a usable sound in 5 minutes your doing it wrong

I found it was great for trying out tons of amps and effects

It is much simpler to chain pedals together and twist knobs

But on the GNX I can use the foot pedal to pan between a screaming Marshall and an acoustic sim

This you can't do with any amount of pedals
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Super info, thanks boys

Comment

I made the most epic super modded Marshall sound ever from a Boss ME-6. Damn I miss that sound. People asked asked how I got that tone out of a Peavey. I explained it was the Boss unit into the fx return.

As Dave said - start from the ground up - build the sound.

These days, Zoom, Line 6, Boss all make great pedals. Heck - the versions from 3-5 years ago are amazing. Buy a used last years model.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I made the most epic super modded Marshall sound ever from a Boss ME-6. Damn I miss that sound. People asked asked how I got that tone out of a Peavey. I explained it was the Boss unit into the fx return.

As Dave said - start from the ground up - build the sound.

These days, Zoom, Line 6, Boss all make great pedals. Heck - the versions from 3-5 years ago are amazing. Buy a used last years model.
                  Multi effects are awesome for finding and learning about effects. But once you experience the real thing the multi effects processor loses its appeal.
                  Control wise and building patches is incredible and extremely useful but in my opinion not worth the tonal loss

Comment

Nuno Bettencourt has been using a GT-8 for effects with his Randall NB amps for years, his tone doesn't seem to suffer too much. I agree that the amp models are hit and miss, but with some programming there are some decent tones to be had.
                    Last edited by devastone; 04-16-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Nuno Bettencourt has been using a GT-8 for effects with his Randall NB amps for years, his tone doesn't seem to suffer too much. I agree that the amp models are hit an miss, but with some programming there are some decent tones to be had.
                      You have to hear his amp raw then with the GT-8. I had one of them as well as a GT-10

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                        Multi effects are awesome for finding and learning about effects. But once you experience the real thing the multi effects processor loses its appeal.
                        Control wise and building patches is incredible and extremely useful but in my opinion not worth the tonal loss

What is the real thing? And how do you know you ACTUALLY experience tonal loss, and it's not just your imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          You have to hear his amp raw then with the GT-8. I had one of them as well as a GT-10

Hear the amp raw? For what purpose? That's just evoluion in reverse.

If you care so much about how your amp sounds by itself then you probably shouldn't use effects. The sole use of effects is to improve the tone, or achieve something that your amp is not capable of.

Comment

Working...
                          X