Chorus pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chorus pedals

I like the Digitech and DOD chorus pedals I've used. I have a Boss CE-3 on my board now, but I may go back to the DOD.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      I am personally skeptical about it. I presume it's just pure business-driven move in order to stay relevant amid the competition from TC, EHX...those booo-teek makers, you know. Boss design is from yesteryear and it has managed to build a reputation of 'tone sucker'.

Given that many guitar players seem to have fallen for it with all the exorbitant price and bogus Wazacraft imagery, that startegy looks like a success.
      As true as all that could be proof is in the pudding. Before I installed the Wazacraft Chorus into my rig in the effects loop chain, I was using the TC Electronics tri chorus special edition black. When I plugged in the boss ,without the effect ON, my entire rig got clearer and more open. Before the effect was judged, the buffer circuit works so much better the the TC Electronics models including the bonafide stand alone buffer pedal.
      If you plug directly into your amp with no effects in the loop or out front and listen to the quality of tone each channel has raw and then start adding effects, patch cables and such, you will notice a loss in high end response and lack of clarity.
      The Wazacraft returned that clarity just by adding it to the chain. Amazing as the bonifide buffer was supposed to do that but failed
      All the TC Electronics digital pedals I own have switchable buffer circuits where you can choose between true bypass and buffer.
      I did a ton of experiments with them to attempt to make my effects chain sound transparent.
      With the bonifide buffer first in the chain and the Tri Chorus in buffer mode all other pedals in true bypass, I got close to a straight raw sound but it still had a darkness to it.
      When I put the Wazacraft in it return the high end loss and sounded like just plugging in directly.
      I removed the tri Chorus and the sound was even better. I took the Wazacraft out and my rig went bsck to dark.
      Say what you will and feel anyway about the Wazacraft pedals you want but I feel they are remarkable and the effects sound is top notch.
      I don't mind paying more for better quality.
      Boss pedals last basically forever and they continue to prove to me they are the best in the business.
      I always look to other brands and try others out but honestly none of them are better then Boss at what Boss does best.
      Needless to say the tri chorus and bonifide buffer no longer are a part of my rig. I sold both of them. They where both nice pedals but the Wazacraft chorus replaced both of them and does a much better job of them combined.
      I think it's a shame as I really started to love the TC Electronics pedals. The tone print ability of their pedals is so damn cool but at the end of the day I'm about tone not features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is kind of a different sound, but I also like the non-modulated sound of a Boss Dimension C, which is sort of a super 3D-sounding chorus (you must use it in stereo) with little or no modulation.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is there a good sim of that pedal available?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think the Digitech Chorus Factory (CF-7?) had a sim of it, the Line 6 Modulation Modeler may also.

Comment

I just got a TC Electronic Mimiq. Its a doubler giving the double tracking effect when used with two amps. It makes my dual amp rig sound like surround sound. but with just one amp, it sounds like a wide light chorus.
              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I've tried dozens of Chorus pedals over the past few years. A lot of them have been very expensive "boutique" boxes but I always end up back where I started, my MXR Micro Chorus!!!

I'm not really a big Chorus guy anyway but occasionally I feel the need to cheese things up some! The MXR is great for this, (very Fade To Blacky) however it has a bit of a volume bump when it's being run in front of the amp so an effects loop definitely makes or breaks the pedal...
                I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I bought a CE-2W and ended up taking it back. In one mode it had something that really annoyed me and in the other it wasn't strong enough. My fallback was the same CE-2 I've been using for years. It makes me happy and it's paid for.

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                  Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                    As true as all that could be proof is in the pudding. Before I installed the Wazacraft Chorus into my rig in the effects loop chain, I was using the TC Electronics tri chorus special edition black. When I plugged in the boss ,without the effect ON, my entire rig got clearer and more open. Before the effect was judged, the buffer circuit works so much better the the TC Electronics models including the bonafide stand alone buffer pedal.
                    If you plug directly into your amp with no effects in the loop or out front and listen to the quality of tone each channel has raw and then start adding effects, patch cables and such, you will notice a loss in high end response and lack of clarity.
                    The Wazacraft returned that clarity just by adding it to the chain. Amazing as the bonifide buffer was supposed to do that but failed
                    All the TC Electronics digital pedals I own have switchable buffer circuits where you can choose between true bypass and buffer.
                    I did a ton of experiments with them to attempt to make my effects chain sound transparent.
                    With the bonifide buffer first in the chain and the Tri Chorus in buffer mode all other pedals in true bypass, I got close to a straight raw sound but it still had a darkness to it.
                    When I put the Wazacraft in it return the high end loss and sounded like just plugging in directly.
                    I removed the tri Chorus and the sound was even better. I took the Wazacraft out and my rig went bsck to dark.
                    Say what you will and feel anyway about the Wazacraft pedals you want but I feel they are remarkable and the effects sound is top notch.
                    I don't mind paying more for better quality.
                    Boss pedals last basically forever and they continue to prove to me they are the best in the business.
                    I always look to other brands and try others out but honestly none of them are better then Boss at what Boss does best.
                    Needless to say the tri chorus and bonifide buffer no longer are a part of my rig. I sold both of them. They where both nice pedals but the Wazacraft chorus replaced both of them and does a much better job of them combined.
                    I think it's a shame as I really started to love the TC Electronics pedals. The tone print ability of their pedals is so damn cool but at the end of the day I'm about tone not features.

In the real world, this so-called transparency is moot because the ultimate tone is defined by numerous factors.

I posted a demo of DiMarzio Super 3 at Tips and Clips and somebody complained it was not accurate representation of the pickup.

I challenge you to you make a recording of that Boss and other chorus pedal you despise and compare and contrast their sound. Does it even matter anymore what buffer (butter?) they use? You are making me laugh really....

Comment

Chorus pedal threads are always huge at these forums.

Mantis, your original post points exactly to my approach to effects: pick my 5 "desert island" pedals & squeeze every tone imaginable from that chain. Now I have my own hand-picked, customized "multi-effect board".
                      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        It is kind of a different sound, but I also like the non-modulated sound of a Boss Dimension C, which is sort of a super 3D-sounding chorus (you must use it in stereo) with little or no modulation.
                        This is the best chorus I have ever tried. Admittedly my tastes go towards semi-processed 80s-type tones, but this pedal seems to give exactly enough chorus for any gain setting – it cleans up with distortion and comes forward on clean tones – so that I would have been very happy to leave it on forever and keep it as a secret weapon in my rig. Unfortunately it is virtually unusable in an fx loop (or between a pre-amp and a power amp) owing to the very lacking headroom. Has anybody found a way around this problem?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        Is there a good sim of that pedal available?
                        Surprisingly few. There is one in the Line 6 Mod, and a company called Fromel is working on a clone. I haven't tried either, but might jump on it if I find either for sale (the Line 6 I'd want racked!). A Waza reissue might happen at some point to, or at least I hope for it!
                        Last edited by Sirion; 04-21-2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

And the Dimension C really needs to be used in stereo, and most effects loops are mono. Over headphones, it sounds really amazing- sound comes from everywhere.

Comment

Yes. One will either have to use two amps or, as I am, a rack system. But even there headroom is the problem.
                            Last edited by Sirion; 04-21-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
                              Chorus pedal threads are always huge at these forums.
                              Off topic: I find that really refreshing. When I first started playing chorus went almost unnoticed, except when people discussed how they hated it. It seems it has gained more acceptance again in recent years, and I for one wish I had learned about it earlier. But in the early 2000s it apparently just wasn't talked about much in rock/metal circles. Locally I can't even remember anybody owning one.

Comment

What was overused on every metal ballad intro in the 80s is now 'retro'. I tend to use phaser more than chorus now, but sometimes it just works.

Comment

Working...
                                X