banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedal for a dirtier and thicker lead tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal for a dirtier and thicker lead tone?

I have this Epiphone Les Paul which sounds great but the bridge pickup is a bit thin (57 classic plus). I'm looking for a pedal that adds more gain, bite and thickness for £100 or less. Would something like the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster work?

Re: Pedal for a dirtier and thicker lead tone?

The z.Vex SHO would work for certain.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachary_02 View Post
      I have this Epiphone Les Paul which sounds great but the bridge pickup is a bit thin (57 classic plus). I'm looking for a pedal that adds more gain, bite and thickness for £100 or less. Would something like the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster work?
      Is this your first od pedal? What amp do you have? Maybe you can give an example of a tone you like to help us suggest.

The pickup booster will mainly give you the tone you have but louder (with some EQ tweak). That may be what you need if you have a tube amp and you push it. But from your description you could need a compressor or OD pedal instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

what amp are you using? gain settings? if you are using a cranked up amp then the pup booster might work great for you since itll push the amp harder giving more gain and a fatter sound. if you arent running much gain youll get more of a volume boost

Comment

The Pickup Booster should add thickness to an already overdriven amp, and the Resonance switches can also change the EQ. An 805 Overdrive has a 3 band EQ, too, so the gain that is there can be sculpted into exactly what you want.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What Jeremy said about needing to know what amp.

Beyond that, I'll say that the Xotic BB Preamp is a great, versatile overdrive that works with all sorts of amps. The active EQ can really help fatten up a guitar's sound. They're plentiful on the used market for a bit under $100.

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
              Is this your first od pedal? What amp do you have? Maybe you can give an example of a tone you like to help us suggest.

The pickup booster will mainly give you the tone you have but louder (with some EQ tweak). That may be what you need if you have a tube amp and you push it. But from your description you could need a compressor or OD pedal instead.

I'm using a Fender Mustang Modelling Amp at the moment. I normally use the Marshall or Mesa style amp on mid to high gain. I have a Line 6 M5 which is and effects modeller which has multiple overdrives and distortions. (Btw any recommendations for mid range combo valve amps around £400-£600?)

Comment

I'm using a Fender Mustang Modelling Amp at the moment. I normally use the Marshall or Mesa style amp on mid to high gain. I have a Line 6 M5 which is and effects modeller which has multiple overdrives and distortions. (Btw any recommendations for mid range combo valve amps around £400-£600?)
                Is the Mustang dynamic and simulates tube breakup when you push it? You should have a boost in the M5 that you give you a good idea of whether or not the boost will work for you.

I assume the Pickup Booster will be "better" than the boost in the M5 but if your amp doesn't compress and thicken when pushed, it won't work. You said the pickups are thin so there are a few other paths like
                - EQ: trying to see if adding mids help
                - pickups: first raise the one you have or consider changing it
                - delay: add a super short delay to thicken up your tone
                - chorus/detune: like delay but with pitch

And obviously, like you suggested, change the amp although some people are really happy with mustangs 3+

Comment

Devi Ever Aenima and a delay
                  Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                  http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

It depends on what kind of gain you already have for your rhythm playing. I use gain half way for an open and well defined crunch sound (kind of plexi?) then I kick the Fulltone Plimsoul in for dirtier and thicker sound for lead that my crunch channel just cannot get when cranked, a nice lead sound with lots of mids. The trick here is my amp is not cranked, if it was it may get thicker and dirtier but not louder.

Edit: Ouch, I just read again and you need something at £100 or less. Plimsoul new costs more than that but maybe used?
                    Last edited by IMENATOR; 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Also, I'd mention that EQ pedals can do this, too. You can certainly find these pretty cheap now.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got a Joyo Ultimate Drive for $20 including shipping. Great sounding pedal. It's a clone of an OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Also, I'd mention that EQ pedals can do this, too. You can certainly find these pretty cheap now.
                          Any tips on how to do this with an EQ?

Comment

I have a Mustang III and my favorite overdrive pedals to use with the Mustang are included in the amp.

The Overdrive (Fender Overdrive) and the Green Box (Tubescreamer) are my two favorite OD's included with the Mustang. Both sound terrific.

I own lots of pedals, including a Klon KTR, but I don't use them with the Mustang III.

The "pedals" included in the Mustang are all I need.

I use a PRS with Seth Lovers, a PRS with Pearly Gates and a PRS with Duncan 59's and the Greenbox or OD to get great Santana tones: fat and thick with terrific sustain.

I think the OP needs to get to know the amp better. Because it's all right there in the amp.

The 57 Deluxe amp with either the OD or Greenbox (Tubescreamer) gets a beautiful soloing tone.

As does the Deluxe Reverb model when it's goosed by the OD or Greenbox.

I don't use the Marshall, Vox or Mesa models much.

I prefer the smaller 20 watt Fender amp models, but when I'm going for a Clapton/Cream or Santana or Peter Green or ??? overdriven soloing tone, I always use the Fender OD or Greenbox to overdrive that amp model.

When I'm playing clean I like the Twin Reverb model.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-20-2017, 11:39 AM.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Any tips on how to do this with an EQ?
                              bump up the mids and the volume
                              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Working...
                              X