ABY Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Splitter

I got a Whirlwind ABY that I am using to go stereo with two amps. Sounds good. But I seem to notice that when both amps are on, they are not as loud as when only one of them is on. Is it my imagination or the stereo effect? Or is it the pedal splitting my guitar signal in half - if that is possible. I don't know the physics behind that.
    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Re: ABY Splitter

You'll want an active splitter like the tonebones. It's not your imagination at all.

Comment

Could be a phase issue too.... the best ABY boxes have a transformer isolated output (for noise) and a phase reversal switch as well.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Could be a phase issue too.... the best ABY boxes have a transformer isolated output (for noise) and a phase reversal switch as well.
        Probably this; the output of one of your amps is out of phase with the other. I use the Radial Twin City, it has phase inversion for one side to prevent this from happening.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

its also an active unit to prevent the loss. flip the phase on them and see if the sound is more full, which ever way sounds "fullest" is in phase. if you dont have any easy way to flip phase you can swap the speaker leads. there is the other issue of many passive aby boxes just split the signal which gives each amp a little less to work with.

Comment

This the one that I use.

Visit Reverb News to learn about your favorite artists and instruments, read up on gear history, and find helpful music-making tips.

You should get it....
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The Morley ABY does that signal-halving thing in Y-mode. Works better in A/B mode.

Then again, boosting the input gain on whatever you're splitting into helps offset the difference.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

what's the difference between the Radial Twin City and the Radial Bigshot?
                Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

the twin city is an active box, the big shot is a passive box. the power is only for the led's

Comment

I like Lehle Products for switching applications. Built like tanks, solves problems. http://lehle.com/EN/Splitter
                    sigpic

Comment

lehle makes fantastic products, the dual sgos is bad ass

Comment

Fulltone makes one too.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I always liked the way the nicer switchers looked, but the Morley ABY works well for what it is and the Boss TU seems to do an ok job in a pinch.

Comment

I have the Fulltone. Works a treat.

Comment

Working...
                            X