Which is the best pedal (the phase 90 or Univibe) for gilmours tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best pedal (the phase 90 or Univibe) for gilmours tones

Hi all, which is the best pedal to create Gilmour tones on songs like breathe, have a cigar and any colour you like. I know that a univibe is the best choice for breathe but what about have a cigar and any colour you like? Would a univibe be good to use on have a cigar and any colour you like?

Re: Which is the best pedal (the phase 90 or Univibe) for gilmours tones

Check gilmourish.com

If you don't have a clear answer there you can come back here and we can make it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi, thank's for the reply, I've checked the gilmourish website and it says:

"It’s always a matter of taste but in general I would say that in terms of recreating Gilmour’s tones, you’re probably better off with a vintage style 4-stage phaser – if you have to choose. A phaser can easily cover songs like Breathe and Any Colour You Like but a UniVibe on Shine On or Have a Cigar doesn’t quite cut it. That being said, nothing sounds quite like a UniVibe and if you’re into Trower, Hendrix and all the other UniVibe masters, then you should seriously consider getting one."

I've heard nearly everyone say all over the internet that the Univibe is the best option in terms of recreating gilmours tone however the quote from the website is saying that the Univibe on shine on and have a cigar "doesn't quite cut it". Am i being an idiot here and misunderstanding what it's saying? lol

Comment

I'd say a phase 90 easily.

The key is that the Univibe IS a phaser, but with different components or voiced with a different waveform. Because of the unique waveform, you can never use a univibe to recreate the sounds of a really 'phasery' song. That being said, both have a distinctively 'phasey' quality, you can easily sub in a phaser to recreate most univibe tunes. I used to do Hendrix covers with my old band with a Phase 90 and it definitely got the vibe right enough, even if it wasn't exactly the thick univibe tone he used.

A two-stage phaser will sound even closer to a univibe, so my ultimate suggestion is just to grab a Phase 95 which has a switch that changes between the 2 stage phaser and the 4 stage (Phase 90 standard) phaser. Otherwise, the Phase 90 will get you there exactly for songs like Cigar, and will get you most of the way there for songs like Breath.
        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
        Andrew - None

Comment

Which is the best pedal (the phase 90 or Univibe) for gilmours tones

Originally posted by danny458 View Post
          Hi, thank's for the reply, I've checked the gilmourish website and it says:

"It’s always a matter of taste but in general I would say that in terms of recreating Gilmour’s tones, you’re probably better off with a vintage style 4-stage phaser – if you have to choose. A phaser can easily cover songs like Breathe and Any Colour You Like but a UniVibe on Shine On or Have a Cigar doesn’t quite cut it. That being said, nothing sounds quite like a UniVibe and if you’re into Trower, Hendrix and all the other UniVibe masters, then you should seriously consider getting one."

I've heard nearly everyone say all over the internet that the Univibe is the best option in terms of recreating gilmours tone however the quote from the website is saying that the Univibe on shine on and have a cigar "doesn't quite cut it". Am i being an idiot here and misunderstanding what it's saying? lol
          You're not

Frankly the tones are not so far off.

If you get something like a phase 95 you can nail the script 4 stage phaser for this and you may have a pedal that is likely more flexible. A univibe is super fun but it may be less flexible. FWIW, I played breathe with a two stage phaser (vintage dod 201) and nobody came back to me at the end saying "boy, you're missing two stages" YMMV.

Edit: just saw Timmy recommended the phase 95 as well.

Comment

He's used both, so it really depends on the song.

I have both on my board. They're similar but different enough. A Phase 90 doesn't get that ugly churn that a UniVibe can which I love using with the gain up and my guitar pressed against the speaker cab. A Phase 90's frequency curve is too smooth for it. There's a definite kink in the wave in a UniVibe.
            Nope...

Comment

I think he was an original ehx small stone phase user, no?

EHX and MXR sound quite different.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                I think he was an original ehx small stone phase user, no?

EHX and MXR sound quite different.
                He used so many different pedals at different points. Add Electric Mistress t that list.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                Nope...

Comment

I have MXR Phase 90 and Fulltone Mini Dejavibe.

In my rig (into front of a mono amp) I definitely find the mxr gets closer.

When I play into stereo or WDW rigs then the dejavibe opens up and I hear more Gilmour in there.

For most practical purposes - live, etc. - it'll be the MXR on my board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                    I'd say a phase 90 easily.

The key is that the Univibe IS a phaser, but with different components or voiced with a different waveform. Because of the unique waveform, you can never use a univibe to recreate the sounds of a really 'phasery' song. That being said, both have a distinctively 'phasey' quality, you can easily sub in a phaser to recreate most univibe tunes. I used to do Hendrix covers with my old band with a Phase 90 and it definitely got the vibe right enough, even if it wasn't exactly the thick univibe tone he used.

A two-stage phaser will sound even closer to a univibe, so my ultimate suggestion is just to grab a Phase 95 which has a switch that changes between the 2 stage phaser and the 4 stage (Phase 90 standard) phaser. Otherwise, the Phase 90 will get you there exactly for songs like Cigar, and will get you most of the way there for songs like Breath.
                    Thanks for your reply, so just to clarify, your final suggestion would be to get a phase 95? Do you think that it would be the best for those songs including "shine on you?" I also remember you mentioning about how it's also good for getting some of those Hendrix tones which is a bonus!

Comment

I'm a huge Gilmour and phaser fan....

If I was buying only one pedal, I agree it would be a Phase 95. My old vintage Phase 45 has that Breathe type sound minus the little "hump" of the univibe. The EHX small stone also has that sound as well, but it doesn't sound like the Wish You Were Here Tones at all.

Once you play both effects enough you'll learn which songs are which pedal for Gilmour, and it'll be up to you if you end up with both. I have both a Univibe and Phase 90 on my board.

Of course long term you'll need an electric mistress as well!
                      Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

To me there's nothing like a photo cell authentic vibe. Cheapest good one is a Voodoo Lab Microvibe. My favorite I own is a T Rex Viper.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I always went after those tones with a Small Stone. It tends to blend better with the original signal to me.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Phase 95 is a good choice (I own one), but Univibes always sound warmer than phasers to me. The Phase 45 has a modulation that sounds similar to a Vibe, but it is brighter sounding than the photocell Univibe clones. For Floyd, I think a phaser is going to be more useful overall. Ymmv.

Comment

Working...
                            X