Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite Delay pedal?

Hello,
    I'm looking to buy a delay pedal, for under $250. What are the best delay pedals you guys have used and why? Looking for a lot of versatility. For now I have two in mind: The Catalinbread Echorec, and the Boss DD7. Both look and sound great but I'm having a hard time choosing one. Which one of these two do you recommend? Also, do you recommend any other delay pedal other than these two for $250? (Please no big pedals as I don't have much space on my board. I'd prefer digital for now. I'm leaning towards the Echorech because obviously a Gilmour fan and he used a Binson Echorec for stuff like Echoes. The TC Electronic flashback also looks like a good choice. I'd say I'm between a TC FLashback, and Boss DD7, and a Catalinbread Echorec.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Gilmourista; 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM.

Re: What's your favorite Delay pedal?

I don't have it, yet.

Comment

TC Electronic Flashback (any of the models) - just for the range of delay types. Then add in toneprints and editor, it's a pretty powerful package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You have to at least say if you want analog, digital or tape flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really liked the Memory Boy Deluxe sound but it was just too noisy. Ended up with a Tech 21 DLA and live it. Very versatile and has the tap tempo I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

For smaller pedals I absolutely love the MXR Echoplex. It sounds amazing and has a simple control set, with optional tap tempo if you want as well.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

Arion DD-4. If you can find one that works.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

The Boss DD-7. I sold it and got a Tc Electronics Flashback as I wanted to fool around with the tone prints. It's a good solid delay but I feel the Boss Dd-7 is a better sounding better buffer and better all around delay.
                If you can find a good condition Boss DD-20, get one it's probably the best delay made

Comment

I like the combined Boss Delay Reverb RV3
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Currently I am digging the Vapor Trail, but we also just came out with the Andromeda, which I haven't had the chance to try yet. The demos are pretty cool though.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

By your user ID I assume you are a Gilmour fan... As am I.

Personally, I prefer to use two or three delays.
                      -Shorter Slapback for fattening (analog flavored, I use a Boss DM-3)
                      -Longer Tape style for leads and spacy stuff (I use a Strymon El Capistan or Timeline)
                      -Modulated digital delay for dotted eighth (run like hell, Timeline)

Now, my pedals are vintage and boutique, but they are not required to get those tones. I started with a Line 6 Echo Park which worked great for years. The Echorec and other Binson emulations do go further toward getting that tone than a tape style echo, but depending on your needs a tape style works great. (Also keep in mind he almost never takes the Echorec on tour, only one off performances)

Personally, I'd try to get one of the following options:
                      -Line 6 DL4
                      -Boss DD20 or DD500
                      -TC Flashback x4 Vintage Modified
                      -MXR Carbon Copy and Echorec
                      (Of course explore the used route)

Having both the short slap and longer echo gives some huge tones, but it's not strictly necessary. The Boss and Line6 give you multiple presets and tap tempo which is nice too.

Good luck on your tonal hunt!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                        The Boss DD-7. I sold it and got a Tc Electronics Flashback as I wanted to fool around with the tone prints. It's a good solid delay but I feel the Boss Dd-7 is a better sounding better buffer and better all around delay.
                        If you can find a good condition Boss DD-20, get one it's probably the best delay made

Own a DD3, DD6 and a DD7. Are there better sounding delays around maybe but these just work. Solid buffers can get a lot of different type delays out of these I use the tap temp at times and I never worry about reliability. These little Boss delays are quiet, quite versatile, sound good, don't take up much space and are bullet proof reliable they just work every time. I would go DD-7.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 04-24-2017, 10:12 AM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Digital: DD3. Simple. Works. Sounds pristine.
                          Analog: MXR Carbon Copy. Again, simple, works, sits very well with your guitar sound. Nearly impossible to make this one sound bad.

Comment

I like to sound like the Edge sometimes and for that style the Korg SDD3000 is the ticket and the Edge uses the rackmount version. I use the pedal version. That's my #1 delay but it's been discontinued by Korg, which is crazy!

#2 is my Providence Chronos. Same delay Larry Carlton uses.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              I like to sound like the Edge sometimes and for that style the Korg SDD3000 is the ticket and the Edge uses the rackmount version. I use the pedal version. That's my #1 delay but it's been discontinued by Korg, which is crazy!

#2 is my Providence Chronos. Same delay Larry Carlton uses.
                              Unless you want to sound like the Edge when he uses the TC 2290 or the Memory Man

Comment

Working...
                              X