any thoughts on getting a wampler velvet fuzz for slide guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any thoughts on getting a wampler velvet fuzz for slide guitar

got 3 tube amps, xotic compreser,wampler emphoria overdrive,wampler tape delay ,ehx micro envelope filter,fultone tremolo,carl martin headroom "real spring reverb,xotic wah wah. Thinking about getting wampler velvet fuzz, never used one but yahoo demos sound nice thinking about getting one for playing slide guitar, any thoughts out there if it would be a nice pedal to add to my board;

Re: any thoughts on getting a wampler velvet fuzz for slide guitar

Originally posted by mplsbender View Post
    got 3 tube amps, xotic compreser,wampler emphoria overdrive,wampler tape delay ,ehx micro envelope filter,fultone tremolo,carl martin headroom "real spring reverb,xotic wah wah. Thinking about getting wampler velvet fuzz, never used one but yahoo demos sound nice thinking about getting one for playing slide guitar, any thoughts out there if it would be a nice pedal to add to my board;
    Haven't used that particular fuzz but I really like to use a fuzz for slide solos, I personally use a big muff lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Velvet Fuzz is good for people that aren't used to using or don't like traditional fuzzes. It lies somewhere between a Fuzz Face/Tonebender (big mode) and a Big Muff (tight mode). The inspiration for it was the sound of a fuzz into a cranked Marshall, and as the name suggests is very smooth. (Coming from the Eric Johnson camp of FF and Gilmour camp of BM).

I have a love/hate relationship with it, it doesn't cleanup as well as a FF or TB, but it plays much nicer with a clean Fender tone. When I'm in my Hendrix/SRV/Sayce mode it doesn't push all the buttons for me, but then when I just need to throw a Fuzz on that sounds decent it works well. For some reason I haven't been able to get it sounding as good as Travis does on the Wampler demo videos or Andy on t he PGS videos. It might be because I always try to use it like a "real" Fuzz and max the Fuzz and Brightness controls, when it actually works with the controls in a wide range of settings.

Not sure that helps at all, just some ramblings from someone who has had one for a while. Let me know any specific questions.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

a friend i played in a band for a few years with had one, he loved it. he doesnt usually like fuzz pedals. i used it a few times but never feel in love with it. it sounds fine and would be cool for slide since its fat and compresses nicely. i have a keeley blacktop fuzz on my little board and i like it better (but ive also become a fuzz guy over the past few years) it cleans up pretty well and on the bold setting is pretty smooth so even sounds good into a clean fender amp

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          The Velvet Fuzz is good for people that aren't used to using or don't like traditional fuzzes. It lies somewhere between a Fuzz Face/Tonebender (big mode) and a Big Muff (tight mode). The inspiration for it was the sound of a fuzz into a cranked Marshall, and as the name suggests is very smooth. (Coming from the Eric Johnson camp of FF and Gilmour camp of BM).

I have a love/hate relationship with it, it doesn't cleanup as well as a FF or TB, but it plays much nicer with a clean Fender tone. When I'm in my Hendrix/SRV/Sayce mode it doesn't push all the buttons for me, but then when I just need to throw a Fuzz on that sounds decent it works well. For some reason I haven't been able to get it sounding as good as Travis does on the Wampler demo videos or Andy on t he PGS videos. It might be because I always try to use it like a "real" Fuzz and max the Fuzz and Brightness controls, when it actually works with the controls in a wide range of settings.

Not sure that helps at all, just some ramblings from someone who has had one for a while. Let me know any specific questions.
          thanks for info

Comment

played all types of pedals last 20 years but never played a fuzz except a ehx bm and it was very harsh gain sound. But think it could have been bad wiring in persons garage cuz every one strats were humming. so everyone there ended up playing there humbucker gibsons .so thanks on you input.

Comment

Working...
            X