banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pedal (FuzzFace or BigMuff) is better for a Gilmour tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pedal (FuzzFace or BigMuff) is better for a Gilmour tone?

Hey all,

I am aware that he used the fuzz face on every album up until the wall. I don't want to buy both but I just want to be able to get a sound that can sound like the solo from Money, as well as songs like comfortably numb etc. I've heard the muff is a lot more versatile but I'm not really sure. Another thing I wanted to ask was, can i use a phase 95 to recreate the sound from any colour you like's solo? I know it used a univibe but will a phaser cover it well?

Re: Which pedal (FuzzFace or BigMuff) is better for a Gilmour tone?

Interested in this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    guitars suck

Comment

I'd get a Muff. Maybe one of the newer ones with more options. And a Phase 95 should work great. You can hear phaser on Have a Cigar.

Comment

Gilmour replaced his Univibe with a Phase 90 around Wish You Were Here, so it won't be exact but should at least be usable. For a fuzz pedal, I'd take a Muff over a Fuzz Face as the latter really can't do the super-saturated sound that you'd need for Comfortably Numb. What I like to do is run a Big Muff about as clean as it'll still sound decent on its own, and that should be close enough to a Fuzz Face to be usable for Money. When it's time for Comfortably Numb, slam the 'Muff with a Tube Screamer with the volume all the way up and drive about 10 o'clock. Set the tone on the TS to taste.

Gilmour himself has used a similar setup since the early 80s, except he boosts his Big Muff with a rack-mounted Chandler Tube Driver.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thank's so much for the replies guys, really helpful

Comment

Fun fact. Gilmour used a metal zone on his board

guitars suck

Comment

Big muff followed by a tube driver.

Check gilmourish.com and this http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi...uilding_2.html

Phase 95 should work.

Comment

Originally posted by jayylmao View Post

You can't just say that and not explain more [emoji23]

As a paperweight on top of the set list?

Comment

I'm not sure I'd get a Fuzz Face or a true Big Muff to be honest. The Fuzz Face can be finicky (but the Hendrix does a good job) and he has a tendency to boost the Big Muff with overdrives and shape them with EQ pedals. Thankfully everyone loves the tones of Gilmour and many people have released fuzzes inspired by him. Skreddy, Wampler Velvet, Buffalo, Keeley, etc. They make it easier to plug and play and get good results.

Regarding the Phase 95, it'll do decently close for a lot of the Uni-Vibe tones, but Any Colour is really a unique sound. I think you've got rotating speaker and Vibe going on there. A Phase 90 set to stun will give a tone that you can use, but it depends how close you want to get.

No.... not sure if this is a joke, so in case if not, it was a HM-2 pedal.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    I'm not sure I'd get a Fuzz Face or a true Big Muff to be honest. The Fuzz Face can be finicky (but the Hendrix does a good job) and he has a tendency to boost the Big Muff with overdrives and shape them with EQ pedals. Thankfully everyone loves the tones of Gilmour and many people have released fuzzes inspired by him. Skreddy, Wampler Velvet, Buffalo, Keeley, etc. They make it easier to plug and play and get good results.

Regarding the Phase 95, it'll do decently close for a lot of the Uni-Vibe tones, but Any Colour is really a unique sound. I think you've got rotating speaker and Vibe going on there. A Phase 90 set to stun will give a tone that you can use, but it depends how close you want to get.

No.... not sure if this is a joke, so in case if not, it was a HM-2 pedal.
                    Haha you're right sorry. Still tho

guitars suck

Comment

He used a HM-2 and I saw a Digital Metalizer on some of his later boards, not sure about a 'Zone though.

Last edited by devastone; 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                        As a paperweight on top of the set list?
                        That and to have something at hand he didn't bother about to throw at Roger Waters when things heated up between the two of them.

For me personally, if you're after Gilmour's tone (and who isn't, he sounds the deal!) I would use the Big Muff instead of the Fuzz face, to me that's the one that pops up in my mind when you mention Gilmour's tone.
                        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Thankfully everyone loves the tones of Gilmour and many people have released fuzzes inspired by him. Skreddy, Wampler Velvet, Buffalo, Keeley, etc. They make it easier to plug and play and get good results.
                          What Wampler would be the Gilmour-inspired fuzz?

Comment

Velvet Fuzz.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Velvet Fuzz.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X