banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pedal (FuzzFace or BigMuff) is better for a Gilmour tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which pedal (FuzzFace or BigMuff) is better for a Gilmour tone?

Who cares about copping Gilmour tones? You need both and experiment with your own tones and see which you prefer.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've always found a silicon Fuzz Face to be way more versatile than a Big Muff--if only for the fact that you can clean up a Fuzz Face somewhat by rolling back the volume knob. You can't really do that with a Muff.

If you want Floyd tones up to and including WYWH, you'd be better off with a Fuzz Face.

Comment

Originally posted by Boppy View Post
        I've always found a silicon Fuzz Face to be way more versatile than a Big Muff--if only for the fact that you can clean up a Fuzz Face somewhat by rolling back the volume knob. You can't really do that with a Muff.

If you want Floyd tones up to and including WYWH, you'd be better off with a Fuzz Face.
        This is pretty spot on. I have both pedals and neither are good at matching the eras outside of the respective periods they were used in. The muff can do animals, the wall, everything then on. A fuzz face with BC108/109 Silicon transistors will work fine with anything from Meddle to Wish You Were Here. If you're going earlier floyd do a germanium fuzz. Note that a lot of the Reissue EHX muff pedals are not as close to the originals. Better off buying a clone like a Vick Audio Ram's Head or an Electric Orange Pig-Hoof.

Comment

As long as were on the subject of Gilmour tones, does anyone know what kind of compressor he used (or one that would work especially well) for that dry solo in Money? I've always loved that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
            As long as were on the subject of Gilmour tones, does anyone know what kind of compressor he used (or one that would work especially well) for that dry solo in Money? I've always loved that sound.
            Any compression was probably a combination of his boost, amp and studio compressor.

One thing that really shocked my was when I realized how much the Colorsound Treble & Bass Booster was used on DSOTM/WYWH. Check out some Gilmour inspired demos of the Throbak Overdrive Boost, you'll hear that tone pop up a lot from him.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
            X