banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What effects pedals should I get. Any suggestions on inexpensive used pedals. Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What effects pedals should I get. Any suggestions on inexpensive used pedals. Thanks!

Hi everybody! I have very limited funds these days to spend on gear but I would like some help on some pedals that I could use for the sound I am trying to get. So I will start on my background first. I am a Gunsmith in Texas but I am not able to work or do much these days because I have to get another back surgery soon. I was waiting at a set of lights on a highway service road and a moron who was texting while driving, hit my right rear bumper going 70-75mph, bounced me off the left barrier, hit me again, hooked on to my suv after bouncing me off the barrier and dragged me down the road. So I had to get a major back surgery done which the doctor didn't do correctly, making me go through years of unnecessary back pain and screwing me up even worse over time. So now I have to get another surgery lol. So I am still out of work right now and can't stand or sit long enough to do some side jobs out of my shop in my house so I don't have much money to spend these days. I spend a lot of time laying on my back in bed so getting back in to playing guitar is good for me. So recently I was getting the itch to play an electric guitar again so I sold some stuff and picked up a Dean Razorback Lone Star graphics guitar new for 1/2 price, got a deal on a Line 6 Spider lV 75w amp and their FBV Express MKll footswitch pedal. I am a big Pantera fan and having a guitar with Texas and revolvers on it seemed like a perfect match for me lol. I just scored a SD SH-13 Dimebucker with a DMT Dime Time neck PU to put in it. I also bought a Used DeltaLab DGFX1 effects unit, a Rogue GEQ-5 EQ pedal, a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor pedal and a MXR DD-11 Dime distortion pedal. The DeltaLab and the Line 6 pedal both have a vol/wah pedal built in so I am all set there. I picked up a DeltaLab DGFX1 on clearance years ago for a good price and it's a weird one but I had to buy it again since it was selling for such a cheap price used. I also already know how to use it so that's a major plus! The DeltaLab has a lot of weird gimmicky effects and the Spider lV amp has delay, reverb, chorus, tremolo, phaser, tape echo, sweep echo and a 14 sec loop feature. I like playing anything from metal to folk. But I mostly like playing metal and classic rock most of the time. I have an electric acoustic guitar and 4 other acoustics and 12 string guitars so I am not interested in any clean type of effects pedals. I am just looking to play in my room and get back in to practicing daily while I am stuck on my back. The amp effects are not the greatest but seem to do the trick for now. Once I get back to work, I want to get a stack set up with all the fun gear to go with it since I will be moving to the country and won't have any neighbors living close to me lol. But for now I am looking to score some used pedals off of fleabay to add to my line of effects. I have been looking at Overdrive pedals and the TC Electronics Dark Matter Distortion pedal. For Overdrive pedals I a narrowed it down to the Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive pedal and the Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive pedal. I am also looking at getting a Fuzz pedal. So far I am looking at the Joyo JF-12 Octave/Fuzz pedal since I can pick one up for cheap money. Anybody have any good suggestions on a pedal that they like and that would be good to add to my line up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post everybody and thanks for the help!

I need to build a pedal board. Thinking about an amp stand with a pull out pedal board underneath it.

Here are some pics of what I have so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Effects 19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	5844381Click image for larger version

Name:	Effects 20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	5844382

Re: What effects pedals should I get. Any suggestions on inexpensive used pedals. Tha

A rack unit is more versatile than any pedal collection and for less $$$. I use an old Lexicon, but for a good modern unit try the TC Electronic G Major II if you are on a budget. If $$$ are no object an Eventide Eclipse will rock your world.

Comment

Re: What effects pedals should I get. Any suggestions on inexpensive used pedals. Tha

Doesn't the line 6 have built in effects?
      If so, I'd get a good compressor and a good clean boost.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll probably get flamed by others for saying this, but I don't care because it's truly my opinion! ;-)
        When you looking for cheap and good sounding, both Joyo and Biyang have lots of good sounding pedals for very little money, those two brands are definitely worth looking into when setting up a pedal board.
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Doesn't the line 6 have built in effects?
          If so, I'd get a good compressor and a good clean boost.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
          Yeah, I totally failed to notice the L6 in his picture. Problem solved: stick that in the FX loop for time based effects only, and stick a booster in front of the amp. Very minimal investment.

Comment

I just finished a massive fuzz pedal shootout. My favorite two were the EarthQuaker - Spires, and the Mathews Effects - The Whaler.

Comment

Thanks for your help everybody. I have something like 74 effects all together between the amp and the DeltaLab effects unit but a lot of them don't sound as good as a pedal so I was thinking about what I would need to get to improve the sound quality. I have been looking at the Donner mini pedals and thought they would probably be a step above junk but they seem to get a lot of great reviews. They are affordable too which is a plus. The Donner Blues Drive pedal is on my list so far. I am also looking at the Joyo JF-12 OD pedal. I also want to pick up a TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion pedal. I will check out your pedal shootout if you can tell me where you posted it please. I seriously wish that I didn't sell and give away all the stuff I used to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsmith1971 View Post
                Thanks for your help everybody. I have something like 74 effects all together between the amp and the DeltaLab effects unit but a lot of them don't sound as good as a pedal so I was thinking about what I would need to get to improve the sound quality. I have been looking at the Donner mini pedals and thought they would probably be a step above junk but they seem to get a lot of great reviews. They are affordable too which is a plus. The Donner Blues Drive pedal is on my list so far. I am also looking at the Joyo JF-12 OD pedal. I also want to pick up a TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion pedal. I will check out your pedal shootout if you can tell me where you posted it please. I seriously wish that I didn't sell and give away all the stuff I used to have.
                Get a TC Electronic G Major II then. Studio quality effects all the way through and way less expensive than buying pedals for the same purpose.

If guitarists hadn't lost their minds in the early 90s daisy-chained pedals would be found only in museums.

Comment

Sorry man, it was a mad dash at two different shops, and I didn't put it in a thread. I don't really have any of the cons of the ones that were second fiddles b/c they only lasted 3-4 minutes and I was moving on to the next one. They were played with different individual rigs, but both were on a Deluxe Reverb with a LP loaded with '57s so it was VERY nearly an apples to apples shootout. Honorable mentions were the JHS - Muffuletta, and the Old Blood Noise Effects - Haunt Fuzz.

Comment

Working...
                  X