Pedal switcher with amp control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedal switcher with amp control?

Most of the buffering issues were sorted in the later ib modified units starting in late 2011, if there's still issues after that then a good booster or other pedal in front can be used as a buffer.

I run wireless live so I have no issues with buffering, also I have several active guitars, but I have never had much issue with buffering.

There is a lot of setup in the G system, so unless you test everything attached as to plug it in you may see a change or loss of timbre that is attributed to the buffer.

I have the nova drive and use the nova system as well, and use midi with all of them for amp and channel changes.

It can get very complex and setting it up takes a bunch of time to get adjusted properly but it has so much control and capability, plus for a live setup its great to have everything set and ready. I really want an elektron analog drive to go with it.

They are on reverb and eBay all day, Tc electronics G system

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
      Most of the buffering issues were sorted in the later ib modified units starting in late 2011, if there's still issues after that then a good booster or other pedal in front can be used as a buffer.

I run wireless live so I have no issues with buffering, also I have several active guitars, but I have never had much issue with buffering.

There is a lot of setup in the G system, so unless you test everything attached as to plug it in you may see a change or loss of timbre that is attributed to the buffer.

I have the nova drive and use the nova system as well, and use midi with all of them for amp and channel changes.

It can get very complex and setting it up takes a bunch of time to get adjusted properly but it has so much control and capability, plus for a live setup its great to have everything set and ready. I really want an elektron analog drive to go with it.

They are on reverb and eBay all day, Tc electronics G system
      https://reverb.com/item/5211968-tc-e...n-pedal-silver
      Good that they've worked out some of the problems. Really what I want is a modern version of my MPX-G2s with analogs OD and stuff built into the front-end but it's probably not happening. I look at the way things were going as of the early 90s and then look at what we have now and I kind of wanna scream and throw things. That Pedalpro unit I linked above? That should be the rule, not the exception. We could have had it 20 years ago.

Comment

Boss ES-8 and ES-5 have control and MIDI outs that will change amp channels (and many other things) while changing pedal loops too. Same with the One Control Crocodile Tail, GigRig G2, and RJM switchers.

If you are using your GT and don't want to change, will it send MIDI messages? If so, the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher or GCX Amp Gizmo will take a MIDI message and switch channels on your amp.

EDIT - Can't your GT-8 do it with the Amp Control output?
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

OK, hang on. What's your amp, for one thing?

Comment

Yeah the gt8 has a ts amp control and midi. Right now I'm using it with the 4 cable method into my h&k tm18. I don't use the pre amps on the gt8. All the effects are pretty good I just wish I could utilize the effects and combine dirt pedals. I wonder if I could hook it up through midi with a switcher and then put dirt pedals in the switcher and just leave the gt8 in a rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            guitars suck

Comment

There are many, many products on the market that do this today.

Gig Rig G2
              One Control OC10
              Boss ES8
              Mooen GEC9

There are some pedal switching units that also have MIDI out, but not amp control features. You could get something like the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and use the MIDI out of a pedal switcher to then control the channels/boosts of your amp.

What I shared only scratches the surface of what is out there, I really encourage you to do some serious research

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ2 View Post
                There are many, many products on the market that do this today.

Gig Rig G2
                One Control OC10
                Boss ES8
                Mooen GEC9

There are some pedal switching units that also have MIDI out, but not amp control features. You could get something like the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and use the MIDI out of a pedal switcher to then control the channels/boosts of your amp.

What I shared only scratches the surface of what is out there, I really encourage you to do some serious research
                True story, but you wanna make sure you get something that is roadworthy and gives you some room for growth. And for the love of god get something you can put in a rack. Having lots of expensive gear down front of stage where someone is going to spill beer on it is beyond nuts.

Comment

I have an OC10 waiting to be used... I've thought about a simple setup: RJM mini amp gizmo, Nemesis delay and some sort of multi modulation process in the loop, tucked behind the amp with a midi controller out in front of stage.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ2 View Post
                    I have an OC10 waiting to be used... I've thought about a simple setup: RJM mini amp gizmo, Nemesis delay and some sort of multi modulation process in the loop, tucked behind the amp with a midi controller out in front of stage.
                    That's the way to do it... the only think I have front of stage is my midi controller. I even use the midi-controlled wah in my MPX. But I'd go one step further: if it can go in a rack, put it in a rack.

Comment

I am blind and can only carry so much gear. I try to limit everything to one big pedal bag over my shoulder, guitar over the other shoulder, combo in one hand, and cane in the other. Rack oriented stuff would be cool, but just not doable for me. Also, Voodoo has come out with the ding bat pedal boards, which have their PX8 built into it and can switch up to 8 pedals in 8 separate loops.... not sure if it has MIDI out to control an amp controller though

Comment

I have for a long time used the GT series from Boss on and off.
                        Reason for this is I love the full control of your rig with the GT series. I started with the GT-8 then 10 then 100. All of them got better with the newer model. But they never ever sounded as good as pedals with my amp.
                        In between each purchase of a GT board from Boss, I went back to pedals and loved the sound quality but hated the tap dancing to control all of them. I wrote songs that I started out in Clean with Chorus, delay and reverb but then during the song switching to my drive channel but had to turn off the Reverb and chorus but leave the delay on. This task sucks as you can't tap all those pedals and switch amp channels quick enough for how the song goes. So I always went back to a GT board and lost sound quality but gained control.

Now well a few years ago Boss Released the ES-5 and ES-8 as already suggested above. Now you have your GT board without effects and you now can keep your sound quality and use the pedals you would like to use. The ES-5 has 5 loops and the ES-8 has 8 so depending on what your needs are you get the one that works.
                        You want this level of control you have to pay for it. No it's not cheap but it's the Ultimate rig setup.
                        Your other option if money is a concern is go with a Boss GT-100. It will do the same thing but with all built in effects, you can just avoid the amp models I think they suck ass. You may like them for what you do but I don't for what I do. In the end many people are very satisfied with the GT series and if money is a concern then this is the next best thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          I have for a long time used the GT series from Boss on and off.
                          Reason for this is I love the full control of your rig with the GT series. I started with the GT-8 then 10 then 100. All of them got better with the newer model. But they never ever sounded as good as pedals with my amp.
                          In between each purchase of a GT board from Boss, I went back to pedals and loved the sound quality but hated the tap dancing to control all of them. I wrote songs that I started out in Clean with Chorus, delay and reverb but then during the song switching to my drive channel but had to turn off the Reverb and chorus but leave the delay on. This task sucks as you can't tap all those pedals and switch amp channels quick enough for how the song goes. So I always went back to a GT board and lost sound quality but gained control.

Now well a few years ago Boss Released the ES-5 and ES-8 as already suggested above. Now you have your GT board without effects and you now can keep your sound quality and use the pedals you would like to use. The ES-5 has 5 loops and the ES-8 has 8 so depending on what your needs are you get the one that works.
                          You want this level of control you have to pay for it. No it's not cheap but it's the Ultimate rig setup.
                          Your other option if money is a concern is go with a Boss GT-100. It will do the same thing but with all built in effects, you can just avoid the amp models I think they suck ass. You may like them for what you do but I don't for what I do. In the end many people are very satisfied with the GT series and if money is a concern then this is the next best thing.
                          Yeah I have the GT8. I don't use the pre amps. I run it with the 4CM. I've been considering getting the GT100

guitars suck

Comment

Originally posted by jayylmao View Post
                            Yeah I have the GT8. I don't use the pre amps. I run it with the 4CM. I've been considering getting the GT100

The GT-100 is way better then the GT-8. The GT-10 is better then the GT-8. The GT-8 was pretty good but really hurt your amps natural tone. The Gt-10 got better at this and the GT-100 is by far superior in this regard.
                            It still changes your amps natural tone slightly and take away a little of the natural tube sound. Makes it slightly a solid version of your amps tone. At times I was fine with it other times I drove me crazy.
                            I hope you have better luck with yours.

Comment

The GT-100 is way better then the GT-8. The GT-10 is better then the GT-8. The GT-8 was pretty good but really hurt your amps natural tone. The Gt-10 got better at this and the GT-100 is by far superior in this regard.
                              It still changes your amps natural tone slightly and take away a little of the natural tube sound. Makes it slightly a solid version of your amps tone. At times I was fine with it other times I drove me crazy.

I've got it sounding pretty good imo. But there are some features on the 100 that interest me.

guitars suck

Comment

There's a simple solution to the tone suck dilemma. When I have enough room onstage, I triamp. Wet/Dry/Wet. Stereo effects, and the center dry is pure raw natural amp tone. that is only being affected in any way by the stuff going into the front end.

Even the B rig is stereo. Wet/Dry. I use one cabinet for that. The A rig is three cabinets.

Comment

Working...
                                X