Your favorite Modulation effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite Modulation effect?

8-voice chorus in the Rocktron Intellifex, my favorite for 25 years. A blackface Intellifex remains in my rack to this day, just for that chorus.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Rotary Speaker by a countrymile. I'm a sucker for guitars through Leslies.

Second it's a Univibe.

Phaser and Chorus, I don't really like. Flanger I can tolerate with very moderate settings in certain applications.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
        I picked tremolo (traditional). I have four pedals, and I use them more than any effects aside from dirt and reverb.
        I prefer manual Tremolo. Volume pedal is a brilliant idea!
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
          Rotary Speaker by a countrymile. I'm a sucker for guitars through Leslies.
          Which one?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Enlighten me a bit: What's harmonic tremolo?
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I'm not big into effects, but I do love me some good old MXR Phase 90.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                Enlighten me a bit: What's harmonic tremolo?
                It's a style of tremolo that was available on Fender Brownface amps, prior to the more standard power tube bias style tremolo that came after. It's a like tremolo with a little Phasey effect and a little Vibratoish effect mixed in. A lot of pedals are doing it now, I've had a version on the EHX Wiggler for a while.

From the Strymon Whitepaper:
                "The Harmonic Trem is actually not a pure tremolo effect. It is really a dual-band filtering effect that alternately emphasizes low and high frequencies. The end-result is a soothing pulse that has shades of a mild phaser effect combined with tremolo due to the nature of the frequency bands that are alternated. This circuit required two tubes to create a two-phase differential LFO that controls the gain of the two frequency bands, and then another tube to sum the two bands together. This implementation had a rather short period of availability perhaps due to the somewhat ‘expensive’ implementation."
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Chorus. Beautiful, tone-drenching chorus.

Whilst not strictly a modulation effect detune might be mentioned as well, as an alternative to chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    It's a style of tremolo that was available on Fender Brownface amps, prior to the more standard power tube bias style tremolo that came after. It's a like tremolo with a little Phasey effect and a little Vibratoish effect mixed in. A lot of pedals are doing it now, I've had a version on the EHX Wiggler for a while.

From the Strymon Whitepaper:
                    "The Harmonic Trem is actually not a pure tremolo effect. It is really a dual-band filtering effect that alternately emphasizes low and high frequencies. The end-result is a soothing pulse that has shades of a mild phaser effect combined with tremolo due to the nature of the frequency bands that are alternated. This circuit required two tubes to create a two-phase differential LFO that controls the gain of the two frequency bands, and then another tube to sum the two bands together. This implementation had a rather short period of availability perhaps due to the somewhat ‘expensive’ implementation."
                    Somewhat expensive implementation With three extra tubes, it had to sound good to be actually used in production amps...

Comment

Echoplex
                      '69 Fender Mustang bass
                      '69 Gibson EB-1
                      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

'Tis a stupid question.

However, in order to amuse the OP, I'll say if it came down to life or death that I was allowed one, it would be my MIJ Boss BF-2 flanger.

Back in the real world, no way I'm giving up my Boss chorus, MXR Phase 95, or tremolo. The only reason I pulled the TR-2 off my board was to make room for a Zoom MS-50G which is among other things, a programmable tremolo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

It's a hard one for me, I use phaser a lot and I love how it sounds for funky/soul chord playing with a clean guitar, but I also feel really inspired when I play with tremolo (even though almost none of the trem stuff I write ends up in my current band, it doesn't fit our sound).

Chorus is a guilty pleasure for me, sometimes I just like flipping one on and doing my best Eric Johnson/Allen Holdsworth impression, or just jamming out to tunes like These Walls by Kendrick Lamar.

If I had to pick one I'd probably stick with phaser, just for how often I find uses for it in my music.
                          Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                          I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                          Andrew - None

Comment

I got 'em all, including flanger and octave up/down.

They came as part of the package with my Mustang III amp.

Love that thing.

Been wailing on it all morning.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

i could live without anything but if i had to pick one to keep it would be my rotosphere

Comment

Chorus for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X