Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pedal to boost a Big Muff?

Hello everyone

I was wondering what the best pedal is to boost a Big Muff, and where in the signal chain it should go. Basically what I want is to thicken the sound up a bit and to give it a bit of a push. I currently have an EP Booster set after my Big Muff but it completely takes away the fuzziness of the Big Muff which I don't like. (I haven't tried it set before the Big Muff, I'll try that tomorrow.) Would an EQ pedal work for this or should I stick with boost pedals?

Thanks!

Best pedal to boost a Big Muff?

Interested as well. I'm assuming an eq before would work good so you can keep the booster in your chain as it is. I'm thinking with boosting your big muff the tone/dynamics might change so an eq might be nice??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    guitars suck

Comment

Re: Best pedal to boost a Big Muff?

What sort of tones are you looking for? As you've discovered, putting a boost (or an overdrive) after a Big Muff smooths out the tone, in a similar way to the way David Gilmour achieves his tones. Big Muffs can be funny with some drive/boosts/EQs so it's worth experimenting.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Best pedal to boost a Big Muff?

Definitely look for something that doesn't accentuate the bass end - the EP Booster does lovely stuff to the bottom end, but I don't enjoy it as a second level of gain after dirt pedals (I have mine on all the time at unity).

Try putting a mid-hump OD before the Big Muff - a tube screamer, or Klon type - set for low gain but higher level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by VinceT; 05-26-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also try a Pickup Booster and an 805 Overdrive. The 805 has active EQ, so you can tailor how much of the Big Muff sound you want to accentuate or cut.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              Try putting a mid-hump OD before the Big Muff - a tube screamer, or Klon type - set daily low gain but higher level.

+1 for TS before Muff.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                You can also try a Pickup Booster and an 805 Overdrive. The 805 has active EQ, so you can tailor how much of the Big Muff sound you want to accentuate or cut.
                Interested in the Pick Up booster. Would that change the natural tone of the Big Muff tho? I just want it louder. Looking to put it after my Big Muff.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power_Boost_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	5800471

Comment

I have a Pickup Booster on my mini-board just as a boost, and I love what it does to the overall tone. It'd certainly be worth a try.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

A Zvex SHO...

Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I've been on a Fuzz kick lately.
                        When playing through my Sunn, I have a Boss BD2 in front of a Big Muff. Sometimes I'll throw a Rat in front, but the BD2 does what I need. I also have a 10 band MXR after it, but not always on.
                        My Sunn has been getting a lot more use than my Orange OR15 or my Mesa Express lately.

Comment

Working...
                        X