Gimmie some boost options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimmie some boost options

I've been on the prowl for a while for something to boost the crunch channel on my EVH 100w. Need something that'll let me quickly go from low gain to higher gain settings mid-song (so keep the amp channel gain low for dirty arpeggios stuff and then hit it hard). I've tried the following so far:

Xotic SL Drive
    MXR Il Torino
    MXR FET driver
    Mad Professor Sweet Honey
    Way Huge Saucy Box
    Budda Zenman boost/OD (rebadged Carl Martin DC drive)
    T.Rex Mudhoney
    EHX Soul Food (Supposedly Klon clone)
    EHX OD Glove (OCD clone)

Tried them all through various Mesas, since theey don't seel EVH at the store.
    The Way Huge sounded alright, but not quite there. The Budda Zenman boost was cool, but OD channel bit too much to be useful.
    The rest of these pedals all had waaay to much gain on tap to work with an already overdriven channel.

Except... the EHX Soul Food. It does pretty much exactly what I want it to do. The only issue for me is it still sounds much too much like a tube screamer. And while I don't mind the tube screamer sound, its not what I'm looking for.

So, can anyone recommend something for me to try? I don't mind the pedal having some character of its own, it doesn't have to be completely transparent. I just want something... not tube screamer
    Last edited by Coma; 05-28-2017, 01:35 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Gimmie some boost options

Did you try any of the 3-band TS variants? Duncan 805, Wampler Clarksdale, Way Huge Green Rhino? They might give you a more controllable boost. Also, EP Boost, RC Boost or just an EQ?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Did you try any of the 3-band TS variants? Duncan 805, Wampler Clarksdale, Way Huge Green Rhino? They might give you a more controllable boost. Also, EP Boost, RC Boost or just an EQ?
      Nope, didn't try any of those. Figured a tubescream, even with an EQ, is still gonna sound like a tube screamer.
      Didn't try any other of the Xotics, as they're quite pricey. But might have to bite the bullet.

Oh, and I also wouldn't mind something more marshall-tinged. Only prob seems to be most Marshall-in-a-box style pedals are mean for clean channels only.
      1973 Aria 551
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

In what way does the EH Soul Food (a Klon wannabe) sound like a Tubescreamer to you?

They sound very different to me...but I'm not using one to boost another pedal or to boost an Overdrive channel on my amp.

The TS pedals don't clean up with the guitar's volume control like a Klon does and TS seems to have a big, honky midrange.

I like them both but they sound very different to me.

To me, the TS is good for Gary Moore kind of tones using a guitar with humbuckers.

I think of the Klon as being especially good at making a Strat sound more like a guitar with humbuckers.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Not sure how to describe it. It just has that nasal tube screamer sound to my ears. Wasn't the Klon basically a tube screamer without mid hump?

Skickat från min HTC One M8s via Tapatalk
          1973 Aria 551
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
            Not sure how to describe it. It just has that nasal tube screamer sound to my ears. Wasn't the Klon basically a tube screamer without mid hump?

I know some folks think that. But no, the two circuits are different.

That "mid hump" of the TS is one thing I hear that makes the TS and Klon sound so different.

If I'm playing rock, one thing I can do with my Klon is leave it on all the time and use my Strat's volume control to clean it up for chords.

The TS pedals I own don't allow me to do that. Not very well, anyway.

Comment

Keeley Katana.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Also OCD if you want a little Marshall flavor.

You are keeping the gain basically off, right?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post

What sort of guitar / pickups are you using? If you're using humbuckers, that may be the source of the extra mids you're hearing. If you mostly like the Soul Food but find it harsh and grainy, a better klone like the J Rockett Archer may suit you.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    What sort of guitar / pickups are you using? If you're using humbuckers, that may be the source of the extra mids you're hearing. If you mostly like the Soul Food but find it harsh and grainy, a better klone like the J Rockett Archer may suit you.
                    Or a Klon KTR. It replaced my clones. I had a couple of Aluminum Falcons.

Comment

I wouldn't use the EP Booster - I love mine on all the time as a tone shaper, but it's too full spectrum to do what you're wanting - to my ears, it even has a slight bass boost.

You haven't mentioned a clean boost, but I'd be really tempted to try a TC Spark (either full or mini), or the Fulltone 2B. You might even want to try a Brian May-esque Treble Booster.

Basically you just want to hit the preamp harder without flubbing out the bass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        Also OCD if you want a little Marshall flavor.

You are keeping the gain basically off, right?
                        Well, I did try the OD glove, which is an OCD clone if I've understood things correctly. Seemed nice, but was still too gainy to work well with an already distorted channel.

Gain is low, not off - there's still dirt there. Imagine pretty typical metal arpeggios. They're clean enough to articulate and ring out without being muddy, but they're not clean per se. There's grit in there for sure.

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Super thick mahogany body, maple top, set maple neck, dimarzio tone zone and air zone pickups. So high output bridge, mid output neck.

I wouldn't say the Soul food was any of those things. It just wasn't really the sound I was going for. Not sure how to describe it.

it might've been the amp as well (Mesa Boogie Triple Crown, OD channel), but I tried to get it as close to what my amp sounds like as possible.
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Church Of Tone. It does really well boosting a slightly-to-moderately overdriven channel.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The Katana boost (not to be confused with the amp) has a top boost mode. Sounds like it would do just what you want.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a clean boost with my mesa, used to used an OCD clone with my old amp. You might want to try a treble booster

Comment

Working...
                              X