X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pahc412
    replied
    Re: Best Fuzz/distortion for Doom/Sludge

There isn't really a bad pedal in this thread, but the pedals from Black Arts Toneworks are built for stoner/doom. I currently have a Pharaoh, Black Forest, Rabid Mammal, Destroyer, and Revelation bass, but all of their pedals are built for doom. Out of the lot I have, the Pharaoh has quite the reputation and could be called the most versatile. You can dial in a ton of tones on that one, from Sleep and Kyuss tones to Masters of Reality style tones.

Give them a look, you won't be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• Noisembryo
    replied

BAT Pharaoh

Leave a comment:

• 6stringerguy
    replied

The closest sound I have to fuzz available is a boss hm-2 running into the distortion channel of my engl then using a 10 band EQ to sculpt the tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Thundermtn
    replied

The swollen pickle is a good one too, our other guitarist uses one and I really like the tone he gets with his.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
    Two easy to get ahold of pedals I'd recommend are the Way Huge Red Llama and Swollen Pickle.

The Red Llama sounds like an overdriven transistor... somewhat mild but sputtery.

The Swollen Pickle is basically a Muff, but way more midrange and can get pretty aggressive. I have mine tweaked so it sounds like my speakers are coming apart.
    The SP is a fantastic fuzz pedal that borders on distortion. And yeah a lot of people forget that a big part of the sludge/ doom sound comes from having a fuzzed out bass cranked up in the mix too (a nice low mid focus in the bass really drives it forward).

Leave a comment:

• 6stringerguy
    replied

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
    Two easy to get ahold of pedals I'd recommend are the Way Huge Red Llama and Swollen Pickle.

The Red Llama sounds like an overdriven transistor... somewhat mild but sputtery.

The Swollen Pickle is basically a Muff, but way more midrange and can get pretty aggressive. I have mine tweaked so it sounds like my speakers are coming apart.
    The fuzzes I've heard that I enjoy are usually quite scooped and drony.
    My primary use of a fuzz will be to write drony ambient stuff

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Thundermtn
    replied

Apocalypse fuzz sounds awesome in videos, they sold the last one a day before I got to the dealer. On my try list for sure.

Leave a comment:

• 6stringerguy
    replied

Just seen the dwarfcraft necromancer and that sounds like a beast

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    replied

Black Arts Coven.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
    What are some of the best fuzz/distortion pedals you've played for Doom/Sludge? (Mastodon, Sabbath, Sunn 0))), Kyuss.)

On a more serious note, most of the bands you mention are largely amp distortion with a boost.

Mastodon - cranked JCM800 + tubescreamer, more recently an Orange TH50. I think one of them occasionally uses a Mastortion, which I believe is a variation on the Russian Muff.

Sabbath - Early on it was cranked Laney Supergroup boosted with a Dallas Rangemaster. More recently it's just high gain amp heads and I've seen pictures of his rig with a Fulltone Fulldrive in it.

Sunn 0))) - Guitars are Sunn amps and a ProCo Rat.

Kyuss - Ampeg V4 (amongst other things) and a Boss DS1.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the roll of the bassist in creating what we perceive to be a huge "guitar" tone.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

I really like the Earthbound Supercollider. Russian Muff based, doomy and huge.

Leave a comment:

• 6stringerguy
    replied

The best fuzzes I've heard so far are the Death by Audio Apocalypse and the Mr Black Thunderclaw.

Leave a comment:

• Thundermtn
    replied

I just went on this quest myself. I played quite a few in a place where they had dozens upon dozens of fuzz pedals with a directive to the staff that the type of fuzz I was after was the same your looking for, i ended up with three pedals.

The EarthQuaker - Spires Fuzz. It's really open and clear sounding on the red channel, the green channel is pure Russian fuzz and does sound pretty good and gives you a two for one fuzz pedal.

The Catalinbread - Sabbra Cadabra. It is a fizzy distortion type of od/fuzz with a treble boost, sounds excellent on more aggressive fuzz.

Old Blood Noise Endeavor - Haunt Fuzz. Can go from a trad. fuzz with a twist to straight up psychedelic weirdo fuzz craziness you never heard before. Strange sounding but good!

I just finished tweaking them all to my Mesa clean channel an hour ago. I am highly satisfied with all of them and have three excellent fuzz tones on tap. I'll also add that the Spires red channel on the clean channel may have better tone than the distortion channel without anything, which surprised me.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X