Bogner Burnley experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Burnley experience?

Hey guys. Just ordered a Bogner Burnley for a pretty nice price and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with one? Currently digging my CMAT Mods Brownie but couldn't pass up the deal on the Burnley. Running into the front of a clean fenderish tube amp. Should have it this weekend and will post my thoughts on it.
    ,Scott

'04 & '05 LTD/ESP EC400AT'S Black & Gold, 2000 Dean EVO Special,Michael Kelly 52 T-Type, (10)Yamaha Pacificas 112J's & M's, Yamaha RGX121S & Yamaha YGX121D
    Epi 339 Pro
    Yamaha BB300 Bass
    Yamaha FG340 Acoustic
    Ibanez TSA15H, Peavey VK100, Yamaha THR10 & Nano Legacy Purple Wind
    Marshall 2x12
    Assorted stomp boxes

Re: Bogner Burnley experience?

Had one. Sold it. Not that I didn't like it, just that it had way more gain than I need. Kind of smooth and warmish (with my gear anyway). The "smooth" I'm guessing is attributable to the transformer. Loads of sustain. Potential problem is not a ton of cut which I can see as maybe being a problem in a live situation. I don't play out any more so didn't use it in a band situation but others have commented on the same thing. I also had a Wessex that I probably should have kept but I wasn't using it much. I installed a switchable cascade mod on my "Marshall" which pretty much gives me all the OD I need. I'm a home player these days and usually just plug straight in. I think I'm down to 5 pedals, and one is a tuner.

Comment

I've seen several comments from folks that have had the same experiences you described. My current bedroom rig is a bit on the bright/cutting side so I am hoping the burnley may offset it and work out in my favor. If not I'll throw it up on reverb and consider it another lesson learned. I appreciate the feedback. I kind of went into the purchase with doubts that the bogner would top the results I am getting from the "brownie" but it's been a while since I've grabbed anything new gear wise, so when I caught this listed for about $130 I figured I'd give it a whirl. Cheers
      ,Scott

'04 & '05 LTD/ESP EC400AT'S Black & Gold, 2000 Dean EVO Special,Michael Kelly 52 T-Type, (10)Yamaha Pacificas 112J's & M's, Yamaha RGX121S & Yamaha YGX121D
      Epi 339 Pro
      Yamaha BB300 Bass
      Yamaha FG340 Acoustic
      Marshall 2x12
      Assorted stomp boxes

Comment

Keep an open mind, you may like it. Both the Burnley and the Wessex are probably my favorite Dist. and OD's in terms of those that don't really dramatically try and turn an amp into something else. Although, I guess they were going for a Bogner amp tone (Ive never played through one) so I wont call them totally "transparent", but they aren't "colored" like a Zendrive for example, or an overdrive that is designed to be a specific amp-in-a-box. I just really liked the smooth tone. The Burnley can impart a ton of harmonics (also can get quite compressed) but it's really cool. Just not being a real high gain player, it was more of a novelty to me. But again, I probably should have kept the Wessex. The Burnley doesn't do mild overdrive well. Definitely a distortion pedal. It's also not really a "dark" pedal, and the tone control is pretty effective. Just not a bunch of cutting mids. If I were a higher gain bedroom player, no doubt I would have kept it. It was a lot of fun to play around with.

Comment

Thanks again man. I'll post how it functions with my stuff once I receive it and have a chance to put it through it's paces. At least it seems like one of those pedals that you know pretty much immediately if it has a sound you are looking for. Not a million buttons or options to wade through.
          ,Scott

Epi 339 Pro
          Yamaha BB300 Bass
          Yamaha FG340 Acoustic
          Marshall 2x12
          Assorted stomp boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sneaky View Post
            Thanks again man. I'll post how it functions with my stuff once I receive it and have a chance to put it through it's paces. At least it seems like one of those pedals that you know pretty much immediately if it has a sound you are looking for. Not a million buttons or options to wade through.
            Burnley sounds real good, so does Wessex. Both broke down on me, I had ordered them from abroad so that was a problem. Had the Burnley fixed locally, it was a switch issue, but the Wessex is dead, it is the transformer I think. Burnley is hi-gain okay, but, the fat mode is just 'too fat' for my taste, I would say so fat that it is bland. The tight mode sounds just great, works great on a bright set up. It just goesn't get as hi-gain as the fat mode, I would say the tight mode is only medium hi-gain. Wouldn't buy them if I were to decide now, just for the record.

Comment

Working...
            X