• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxlxntxxlxr
    replied
    Re: First pedal to buy?

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    What kind of music do you play?

If the Micro Cube is your only amp, your money might be better spent on a better amp...unless the Micro is fully meeting your needs. Just a thought.

On my board, I have a clean boost DOD preamp; Boss compressor; Boss TU-3 tuner; vintage Crybaby wah; Real Tube 901 OD; Boss chorus; Boss phasor. And then an MXR Carbon Copy delay and a Boss Pitch Shifter/Harmonizer in the efx loop of my Mesa amps. I rarely use the Real Tube, since I use the Mesa lead channels. In fact, I don't use my pedals often at all...some I might use on only 3-4 songs during a 4-hour gig. But for me, a drive pedal is mostly superfluous.

I'm new to using delay, but I'm probably using the delay the most. I may add a second one soon. We do some rockabilly, and a short delay is great for that.

A tuner of some sort is a must. The TU-3 is better than the -2, but there are several good ones on the market. I like the idea of the clip-on for portability, but if you are going to gig, I would strongly recommend a tuner pedal. I have many tuners, of all types. At home, or in a guitar store, I will often use my phone's g-String free tuner app. It's accurate enough to set intonation.

And IMO, the TU-3 WAZA is worth the money. Definitely an upgrade to the standard model. Long term, a good idea...but if budget is tight, a used Pitch Black, Planet Waves or TU-3 would be a good value.

There are so many great pedals on the market. Do your homework, and you will find something. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have used pedals like a TU-3, a Tube Screamer and a basic Boss DD-3 at your feet for a first pedalboard.

Be sure to check out some of the multi-fx units. The Tech 21 Fly Rigs are really cool! Add a tuner...done!

But the best advice I can give is: Don't overuse your effects!

Good luck!

Bill
    Oops I forgot to update that lol. I'm running a joyo bantamp zombie 20w head

Leave a comment:

• DeadandBuried
    replied

Get the tuner first! Doesn't matter how good your music is or whatever if you're out of tune you're out of tune!! And as mentioned before the audience should NEVER hear you tuning!!

I've used the TU-2 for years and its the most essential must have pedal on my board, I can run the show without much else, and get through it. I also have a Polytune which is also great, esp on dark stages. I use the OD on my amp so don't need a pedal though I use a tubescreamer to boost. The only other pedal I have is a noise suppressor, I like to keep mine simple and its worked for years without any issues. Less is more!

Leave a comment:

• Boogie Bill
    replied

What kind of music do you play?

If the Micro Cube is your only amp, your money might be better spent on a better amp...unless the Micro is fully meeting your needs. Just a thought.

On my board, I have a clean boost DOD preamp; Boss compressor; Boss TU-3 tuner; vintage Crybaby wah; Real Tube 901 OD; Boss chorus; Boss phasor. And then an MXR Carbon Copy delay and a Boss Pitch Shifter/Harmonizer in the efx loop of my Mesa amps. I rarely use the Real Tube, since I use the Mesa lead channels. In fact, I don't use my pedals often at all...some I might use on only 3-4 songs during a 4-hour gig. But for me, a drive pedal is mostly superfluous.

I'm new to using delay, but I'm probably using the delay the most. I may add a second one soon. We do some rockabilly, and a short delay is great for that.

A tuner of some sort is a must. The TU-3 is better than the -2, but there are several good ones on the market. I like the idea of the clip-on for portability, but if you are going to gig, I would strongly recommend a tuner pedal. I have many tuners, of all types. At home, or in a guitar store, I will often use my phone's g-String free tuner app. It's accurate enough to set intonation.

And IMO, the TU-3 WAZA is worth the money. Definitely an upgrade to the standard model. Long term, a good idea...but if budget is tight, a used Pitch Black, Planet Waves or TU-3 would be a good value.

There are so many great pedals on the market. Do your homework, and you will find something. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have used pedals like a TU-3, a Tube Screamer and a basic Boss DD-3 at your feet for a first pedalboard.

Be sure to check out some of the multi-fx units. The Tech 21 Fly Rigs are really cool! Add a tuner...done!

But the best advice I can give is: Don't overuse your effects!

Good luck!

Bill
    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 06-05-2017, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

I wouldn't buy it if I were on a budget, but I think the Waza tuner does it right by giving you the choice. I'd like to see more pedals with that feature.

Leave a comment:

• dxlxntxxlxr
    replied

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
    Your call, for sure, but to me it feels like having an option for the sake of it - I either want a buffer at the front of my board or I don't, but I've never felt the need to switch between either state

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought it would be convenient to have one kickass tuner buffer or no. Also, the waza has a better buffer than the regular

Leave a comment:

• VinceT
    replied

Originally posted by dxlxntxxlxr View Post
    As far as tuners, if I'm buying a pedal it's gonna be the waza. Switchable between buffered and true bypass and the buffer is actually good
    Your call, for sure, but to me it feels like having an option for the sake of it - I either want a buffer at the front of my board or I don't, but I've never felt the need to switch between either state

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by dxlxntxxlxr View Post
    As far as tuners, if I'm buying a pedal it's gonna be the waza. Switchable between buffered and true bypass and the buffer is actually good
    It really isn't worth the extra money. Boss pedals have a good buffer that can easily sound better than true bypass; particularly if you're running a longer signal chain. Personally I prefer Korg Pitchblacks to either Boss Tuner; I paid $35 for one and $40 for the other.

Leave a comment:

• dxlxntxxlxr
    replied

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
    Is budget is an issue, don't spend up for the Waza-craft Boss. It's a tuner! Look at a second hand TU-2.

Leave a comment:

• VinceT
    replied

Is budget is an issue, don't spend up for the Waza-craft Boss. It's a tuner! Look at a second hand TU-2.

Leave a comment:

• 2ndhandband
    replied

1) stompboxes belong in a museum... a good mulitifx is a lot more value for the dollar. If budget is a constraint I recommend the TC Electronic G Major II.

2) if you're dead set on stomps and can only afford one thing get the tuner. I can do a show without FX if I have to, but it's never acceptable for the audience to hear you tuning.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

So the East River Drive is a Tube Screamer clone. The Joyo Vintage Drive is a Tube Screamer clone... for $20.

I use a Digitech DL-8 that someone gave me. But I can generally use any delay to get sounds I like. I have an vintage EHX Memory Man Deluxe too. But it's a bit finicky.

I use a Chinese tuner I got on eBay for $20. lol. It works fine. Lots of people use those clip on tuners now. Those are cheap too.

So my point is you can buy all three pedals if you shop wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• dxlxntxxlxr
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Clearly you need all three! If budget is an issue (and when isn't it?) check out Joyo pedals. I recently bought their Ultimate Drive, which is an OCD clone. Cost me $20! It's a great pedal. I use it for guitar and bass too.

I already have delay and a tuner, but I'll be picking up a few of their other pedals.

Here's what I'm looking at

Drive: Ehx east river
    Tuner: boss tu-3w
    Delay: Tc flashback or Wampler ethreal

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Clearly you need all three! If budget is an issue (and when isn't it?) check out Joyo pedals. I recently bought their Ultimate Drive, which is an OCD clone. Cost me $20! It's a great pedal. I use it for guitar and bass too.

I already have delay and a tuner, but I'll be picking up a few of their other pedals.

Leave a comment:

• dxlxntxxlxr
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    What do you need most?

Delay for ambient cleans, not much else. Drive for basically everything. Tuner is for obvious purposes

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

What do you need most?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X