darn Boss power adapter went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darn Boss power adapter went out

Not sure why my boss PSA-120 went out on me, aside from I accidentally left it plugged in overnight with nothing attached to it. Think it got too hot or something?

Anyhoo - what's a good replacement that's not Boss's going rate of $30 (when the heck did they get that expensive?!?!)

Re: darn Boss power adapter went out

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I've had great luck with the OneSpot adapters, they can run a lot of pedals on a daisy chain.

Comment

The PSA 120 has been discontinued. I believe that it was a linear supply. The boss replacement supply is a 120s which is a switching supply. It's difficult to find the linear wall wart supplies these days. More expensive to build and heavier. I think the Fulltone supplies are still linear but they are 20 bucks and rated for "only" 200ma. The FPS-1 is the negative tip versions (most pedals are - tip). But the technology is improved and the switching supplies can provide quiet power. That's what the True Tone One Spot is. At any rate, you ideally want a 9 vdc regulated supply with a current rating high enough to run your pedal. I would stick with one that is listed as made for pedals. The Boss 120S is rated for 500ma. Planet Waves has a decent 9 volt regulated supply for about 9 dollars. I have one and it is quiet in my rig. It's rated for 300ma. If your pedal draws less, it should work fine.

The problem with buying a generic supply not specified for pedals is that the connector size may not be compatible and they may be + tip. Most pedals are - tip. Plus, the real cheap ones may be noisy as hell.
        Last edited by Darg1911; 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I use the OneSpot as a replacement with no problems. It is generally cheaper by 1/3.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

cool thanks everyone. like the looks of the onespot & planet waves. at the same time, I'm drawn to those with multiple (3-5) tips for powering multiple pedals (such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012VQ5A7S?psc=1)

Comment

In that case (daisy chaining), I'd just bite the bullet and get the one spot. It's 27 bucks but can provide 1.7 amps as opposed to 1 amp and it's a safer bet. But, that's just my opinion.

Comment

went w/onespot (by itself) @ musician's friend (they have an instant 20 percent off). I'll look into daisy chain cords down the road (just plugs and wires - ebay should work for that, or amazon has add-on ones for like $4).

Comment

Just get the Onespot combo pack with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Just get the Onespot combo pack with everything.
                    I didn't need all the stuff - I wouldn't use the 9 volt clips or the line 6 adapters so saved a few bucks going a la carte on the adapter and daisy cords.

Comment

My OneSpots have been in service for years...no problems. I think I have 3 or 4 of them.

Comment

onespot arrived. super thick cord, lots of length. works fine. only takes one space. very nice!

once daisy chain cable arrives I think I'll toy with a mini-board (wah, OD, distortion, delay).
                        Last edited by DankStar; 06-09-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          My OneSpots have been in service for years...no problems. I think I have 3 or 4 of them.
                          Same here! They come in super handy!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'm getting a 1spot-system too.

This thread at this exact moment just reminded me to go upstairs and pull the cable from my 808.
                            Just got done riffing and had three pedals in-front but only two adapters (both ibby-branded) so had the 808 first w/9v,,,,,,,,and just came downstairs without unplugging lol.
                            So sick of draining 9v that way. I never do it with my guitars (w/actives) because that's the first thing I do before dismounting.

Does having empty plugs create extra noise with the 1spot? Might as well get the full system based off price,,,,,but four or five would be all I'd ever need at once.

Comment

I never noticed empty plugs causing noise. I keep them away from metal, but that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X