Technical question about modern phasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical question about modern phasers

So, as I understand it, a phaser simply adds a delayed signal to your original input. Then the delay time speeds up and slows down between, for example 0 and 10 milliseconds. The earliest phasers, like the MXR Phase 90, has just one knob, a rate knob, which controlled how long it took to sweep from it's longest delay to its shortest delay. The first Boss PH-1 added a depth knob, which allowed the user to select a wider or narrower range of delay times.

After that we started seeing pedals with a resonance knob. This is where I get confused. What exactly does a resonance knob do?
    Thanks in advance,
    Leo

Re: Technical question about modern phasers

Actually a chorus or flanger adds a delayed signal. A phaser uses an all-pass filter to change the phase relationship among various frequencies. So there's no time delay involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, right. I guess I'm going to have to go back start from square one with understanding phasers, then. Thanks for enlightening me on this.

Comment

Flangers also have resonance knobs, so I guess now is as good a time as any to ask, what does the Res knob on a flanger do?

Comment

REGEN adds a feedback circuit to the signal and increases the intensity of the flange sweep--more jet plane, in other words.
          You can turn REGEN down and get a really nice chorus effect on most flanger pedals too...

Comment

Yes, by turning regent down and delay time up, you essentially have a variation on a chorus.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

And the manual knob on a Boss/MXR Flanger sets the delay time?

Comment

That Pedal Show has an episode on Phasers and Flangers I believe. I gues they explain the difference quite well there.
                Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopold View Post
                  And the manual knob on a Boss/MXR Flanger sets the delay time?
                  Yes. The longest delay time on a Flanger may be shorter than the shortest delay time on a chorus, and the chorus delay time might not be directly accessible on a 2-knob chorus. Since they are both doing similar things, you'll see some companies sell a combined Flanger/Chorus (Ibanez, TC). Also, once you remove the dry signal from a Chorus, you get Vibrato. (Not to be confused with Vibe, Uni-Vibe, etc. which is actually a phaser)
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Also, once you remove the dry signal from a Chorus, you get Vibrato. (Not to be confused with Vibe, Uni-Vibe, etc. which is actually a phaser)
                    That is something I actually do, with my Boss CEB stereo chorus. It's a fun sound.

Comment

Working...
                    X