banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When used as an extra push and used only during a solo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When used as an extra push and used only during a solo...

Hey folks,
    When soloing with a boost and a little overdrive, There are a couple spots I would like to use a Philosophers Stone for extra push and mainly sustain, where
    would it be best in my signal path.
    Tuner> Mini Wah> Sparkle Drive> (Rockett)Archer> (Rockett) "Dude"> Delay> Reverb> Chorus> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. My Sparkle drive is always on for a little grit.
    I solo with either the Archer or the Dude, never at the same time.
    I was invited back to play the Star Spangled Banner next month at a Veteran's Rock Concert, so I really need a couple spots to sustain till I get a feedback loop - which is hard on an outside gig. The stage is good, I did ask this last year but my gear is different now.
    So anyone who knows more than I do please chime in. I cannot try it before the gig, I live in a condo, and I have been yelled at already.
    Thank you,
    Steve Buffington

Re: When used as an extra push and used only during a solo...

The volume alone and proximity with the amp should be able to get you into feedback range, but if you're desperate for controllable feedback at any volume look into the new Digitech FreqOut, it's a digital pedal that simulates feedback (and can be controlled with the footswitch as well)
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

Thanks TimmyPage,
      But I must use what I have. You can see a few fails from last time, especially the "Home of the Brave" melody on YouTube, type Star Spangled Banner (then small caps) steve buffington,
      Thanks, Steve Buffington
      BTW - has Andrew been oiixed in the mung by a Canadian yet? Or is the score still the same?
      Last edited by SJ318; 06-08-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
        I live in a condo, and I have been yelled at already.
        If you heard the yelling, clearly you're not playing loud enough

and may I just point out that the humble Telecaster is the best instrument for hand-to-hand combat at such times.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Steve - not knowing all of your rig directly, it's tough to comment in absolutes. Particularly, I don't know that amp, or how close it is to break-up with your settings.

On my board, I've experimented with the position of my Xotic SP compressor and to get feedback, I would put it as the last thing AFTER the dirt pedals.

Basically, that allows you to compress an already gained signal and then regenerate that with the delays, which should tip it towards feedback, without really noticing the compressor kicked in.

If you kick a compressor in before the drive pedals, it just fattens up but doesn't work the delays/amp harder.

If you compress after the delays (which is an option) to my ears it's more noticeable that you've kicked something in.

For what you're trying to do, set the Sustain high, blend between 10pm and noon, then adjust level and treble to point that when you're holding a note and kick in the comp, there isn't a change in volume/tone - basically, that'll give you a stealth feedback pedal.

Best of luck.

PS: all of the above from my ears to yours, YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

VinceT
            Thanks, good explanation. My amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Like a Hot Rod Deville, but 40 watts instead of 60. I put the amp on 5, no master volume, it starts to breakup there.
            I use my OD, Dirt pedal to go from there. I play a chambered Strat-Partocaster, one 59/Cust. in the bridge, a hot Duncan Single C. in the middle, no neck P'up.
            I am also interested in what TimmyPage said about the Freqout, but nervous to spend more money on gear at my age. (64). So after the dirt = better sustain. After the deals, reverb = More sustain? or just an audible kick, same sustain? I will only use it for one song, the SSBanner, then my band does a set, then my back is broken for 2 weeks. Very bad back trouble, dead serious, long story.
            Steve Buffington

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
              Hey folks,
              When soloing with a boost and a little overdrive, There are a couple spots I would like to use a Philosophers Stone for extra push and mainly sustain, where
              would it be best in my signal path.
              Tuner> Mini Wah> Sparkle Drive> (Rockett)Archer> (Rockett) "Dude"> Delay> Reverb> Chorus> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. My Sparkle drive is always on for a little grit.
              I solo with either the Archer or the Dude, never at the same time.
              I was invited back to play the Star Spangled Banner next month at a Veteran's Rock Concert, so I really need a couple spots to sustain till I get a feedback loop - which is hard on an outside gig. The stage is good, I did ask this last year but my gear is different now.
              So anyone who knows more than I do please chime in. I cannot try it before the gig, I live in a condo, and I have been yelled at already.
              Thank you,
              Steve Buffington
              Hi Steve,
              I use a Philosopher's Tone right after my tuner...before even the wah. for your specialized feedback needs on SSBanner, I suspect that right after your two Archer o.d.s may be the place.
              The pigtronix compressors have a LOT of gain on tap...As suggested elsewhere put the sustain at 3/4 to 100%...I suggest getting that volume knob to near 100% also with the blend at around 50%. Using these numbers and kicking the compressor on, I personally would expect raging feedback even from my preferred placement before the wah. Best wishes and easy on the back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Move. You must leave immediately before it is too late. Never live anywhere that you can't test your rig!

Comment

johnthomas
                  Thanks for the advice.
                  TimmyPage, I can't get a Freqout till after the gig, I got myself talked into it and called around.
                  2ndhandband,
                  Gee, why didn't I think of that. So, May I have 300,000.00 as a start up downpayment? 2hand? you there? Well, you can blame my ex wife from losing two beautiful homes.
                  I tried to let the guy who's house we practice in 2-3 times year let me practice there, He gave me such **** I almost quit the whole f'ing thing. But a t 64, I can't be choosy, and I think we are pretty good. So, what can I do? There are only a billion other guitarist wanting my spot.
                  Steve B.

Comment

I've had good luck with the MXR Dyna Comp (never used the PS but I figure you are using it the same way I am) helping with Sustain at the end of the Chain–take the entrie signal to sustain (might not be good for the Chorus and Delay though, which I don't use currently...so maybe before those guys.) I no longer have the Hot Rod Deluxe but I am using a Blues Deluxe which is a very similar amp.

Do you get a sound check before the gig?

Comment

I don't know what you can do, except go out there with the confidence of Hendrix, no matter what. Your sound won't be anything like you expect, and plan on not getting a sound check at all. Plan for the worst. Just get a good performance, without any feedback or sustain (plan for the worst). Get the melody perfect. In a controlled environment, you would have options, and here, you don't...just go out there, rock it out, and have fun.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks to you all.
                        Very good advice from everyone.
                        No sound check. Zero. The guy that runs it uses an iron hand - 45 minutes and out, or he WILL pull the plug.
                        I do have an MXR Dynacomp, but it just wouldn't go F.B.Loop on the note B on the E string, and I was angling for it as much
                        as I could. The Phil.Stone does have more power, a lot, and maybe if I could have had a few minutes before to get things right
                        it might have been better, heck, I'd use both if I thought it would work better!
                        But that really is going to far and asking for trouble.
                        A special thanks for treyhaislip on a PM he sent me to help!
                        Good advice all, I am not sure if the confidence of Jimi is ever going to be in my future. I almost fainted opening for the BoomTown Rats and Triumph at the Seattle Paramount. I rode in the same elevator as BBKing, Joe Walsh, Tony Bennett, Steve Martin, Heart, Cactus, Cyndy Williams, etc. Elvis even. I was 27 and scared as hell!
                        Steve Buffington

Comment

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes, hopefully someone will get a video/clip of it!

Comment

Working...
                          X