Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Issue - board can go dead

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with an odd pedalboard issue. I posted a photo of my pedalboard in the relevant thread:-
    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...52#post4111152

Every now and then when I select the OCD pedal, the board goes dead. When it happened at a gig I (in panic mode and for want of something better to do) lifted the edge of the board up an inch and dropped it back down and it temporarily solved the problem. At home of course I checked for poor connections but found none, so worked with it until it happened again. It did, after a couple of hours. But this time, for some reason, I switched the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail delay off and then on, and it cured the problem.

Maybe that slight movement caused something to make/break, but I'm more inclined to think it might be a signal chain problem - something perhaps amiss in the weird and wonderful of buffers (which I don't profess to understand...) Can anyone more technically au fait than me suggest whether it is a signal/buffer problem?

Many thanks.
    John
    SD Pickups:-
    - Everything Axe Sets on 3 Strats.
    - Custom Custom Humbucker on PRS Bernie Marsden SE
    - Pearly Gates Humbucker on PRS Bernie Marsden SE
    - Pearly Gates for Strat N & M on 1 HSS Strat.
    - 'Hot Rodded' humbucker set on PRS SE Tremonti

Re: Odd Issue - board can go dead

I had the same issue with my board.... It was always the Wampler Pinnacle, it would be dead or reduced signal on a stomp (on or off) and a couple stomp cycles would fix it. Wampler fixed it for free for me...

Interesting to note, Brian changed to relay based switching since the failure rate of stomp switches is getting so high.

I'd triple check all your connections (solder joints do fail in patch cables) and stomp switches.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Does it do this on its own power supply, or in isolation (not plugged into any pedals, just on its own)? How about with a battery?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Well, lots more tests and I think it's a cable - still not sure as the problem won't replicate at will. I'm swapping some out just to be sure and will continue testing.
        SD Pickups:-
        - Everything Axe Sets on 3 Strats.
        - Custom Custom Humbucker on PRS Bernie Marsden SE
        - Pearly Gates Humbucker on PRS Bernie Marsden SE
        - Pearly Gates for Strat N & M on 1 HSS Strat.
        - 'Hot Rodded' humbucker set on PRS SE Tremonti

Comment

I had a similar thing happen at home a couple days ago. I eventually figured out that one of my unused plugs off my power supply was not wearing it's rubber cap and would move and touch one of the pedals and create a ground loop causing my board to go dead. Found the cap and put it back on the tip and problem was solved.

Comment

Working...
          X