banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

I bought a boss hm-2 pedal years ago, thinking the power jack was dead. It still worked with a battery so I didn't care at the time.

Flash forward to last week when I got the notion to change out the power jack with a new one. After the change (performed today) it still didn't seem to work, but I noticed it was dimly lit.

Turns out older boss pedals don't power using a typical modern adapter, but when used with other pedals where they share a ground they work fine. With my new one spot and 5-way daisy chain I was able to test it and it does in fact go to full power when connected to other pedals.

Very weird! You learn something every day I guess. Of course I couldn't have found that out before I changed out the jack but immediately after.

Source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726
    Last edited by DankStar; 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM.

Re: Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

Yep, PSA vs ACA. I've experienced it with my DM-3. You can use a 12 tap from a supply as well.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      I bought a boss hm-2 pedal years ago, thinking the power jack was dead. It still worked with a battery so I didn't care at the time.

Flash forward to last week when I got the notion to change out the power jack with a new one. After the change (performed today) it still didn't seem to work, but I noticed it was dimly lit.

Turns out older boss pedals don't power using a typical modern adapter, but when used with other pedals where they share a ground or something and work fine. With my new one spot and 5-way daisy chain I was able to test it and it does in fact go to full power when connected to other pedals.

Very weird! You learn something every day I guess. Of course I couldn't have found that out before I changed out the jack but immediately after.

Source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726
      Because you never asked? (At least not that I saw)

At one point that pedal would probably have had a "requires ACA power supply" sticker next to the DC jack. That older adapter is an unregulated supply that puts out roughly 12.3V when not loaded. On my board I currently have a CE-2 and MIJ CS-3 that need an ACA supply. I'm not using a daisy chain, so I have them plugged into two of the ACA outputs of my Pedal Power Mondo.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I did not know this.

I always used batteries BITD.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

It's still got the sticker, I was just set on the jack being dead.

Comment

I kinda want another HM2 but not badly enough to purchase one. Feel free to send me that one since it's broken and whatever
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              I kinda want another HM2 but not badly enough to purchase one. Feel free to send me that one since it's broken and whatever
              I got this one at dirt cheap in smyrna. I miss that joint.

Comment

I've modified an old Boss ACA pedal in the past. I think it was an OD-1. It's just a couple of passive components. You can jumper across them, or remove them and replace with jumpers.

Comment

Yes experienced this before as well years back. At that time a friend/bandmate clued me in and borrowed me his older power supply.
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The older BOSS pedals may not work correctly with a modern AC power adapter (like a 1-Spot or Boss PSA). These older pedals required the Bos...

Comment

I've jumpered out the diodes in my CE-2 and BF-2 to convert them to modern specs. I run the whole board off a Pedal Power 2+.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
                      X